Canada's Capital Region Road Meet - 25th August 2012

Started by Dr Frankenstein, June 05, 2012, 11:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

What I've found with minor crossings is they make you wait until the next car comes, then they get bored and pass you through.

oscar

Quote from: Steve on July 22, 2012, 11:33:31 PM
What I've found with minor crossings is they make you wait until the next car comes, then they get bored and pass you through.

That doesn't seem to apply to the short Cape Vincent-Wolfe Island ferry crossing of the St. Lawrence (in case anyone was thinking of that option, which I definitely do not recommend, at least northbound).  There, the two Canada border agents seem to keep themselves busy by doing a full search of one of the vehicles coming off each boatload; seems like they don't get bored easily!  Since the boat only carries three or four vehicles, odds are high you'll be picked for a search; sure enough, I got selected (as did someone on the previous boat, and on my way out I saw someone from the next boat getting pulled aside for a search).  At least they try to wrap things up within 20 minutes or so, so they can finish with you by the time their next victim arrives. 

My other minor-crossings experiences have been more like Steve described, once I provided a logical answer to the inevitable "why are you crossing here" question.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Dr Frankenstein

I've never actually had an issue with minor crossings so far, so I'm knocking on wood. Two excuses that have worked for me – and were truthful – were "I'm tired of waiting in line at the larger crossings" (works if you cross often), or "I'm only expected at [time] so I got plenty of time for sightseeing and photography" (the time target shows you have a plan and a purpose).

As I've said a zillion times, allow 30 minutes for the crossing and you are much more likely to get through in 2 minutes or less than in 30 anyway. The last few times I was only stopped for maybe one minute, and I've pretty much removed large crossings from my itineraries because of the congestion. I get a secondary maybe once every ten passes. Or less.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: deanej on July 22, 2012, 10:15:12 PM
They sometimes get suspicious if all you're doing is going there, visiting friends, and going back the same day, especially for a location of Boston.  They even got suspicious when I went from Potsdam to Montreal for that mini-meet (granted, a full roadmeet is longer, I was crossing at Ogdensburg instead of Cornwall, I'm 21 without a job, and I haven't crossed the border on my own often enough to know how to talk to customs agents).

Also of note, I've heard that using a minor crossing in and of itself will raise suspicion if you don't live there (does anyone else hate the fact that Canada asks "where do you live" instead of "where are you coming from"? If those are different, there's pretty much nothing you can do without misleading the customs agent or providing information you weren't asked for, both of which are bad).

Well I'll probably stay the night after the meet, but is that really necessary information to provide? How do they know you're going to visit friends all in one day? Or that much information about you, like that you didn't have a job? I've never crossed the border before so I don't know what they ask you or what they can look up.

My explanation for taking a minor crossing was going to be either "My GPS told me to" (which is true because Google Maps does suggest a minor NY crossing for me) or "I prefer taking back roads to major highways" (which is also true - I tend to avoid interstates when traveling because back roads are so much more scenic and interesting). I don't think there'd be an issue with it not being the closest border crossing to where I live though since I don't live in a border state and I'm going somewhere that's not just a straight shot across the border. Plus I doubt they'll have ever even heard of the small town I live in to know where it is anyway lol.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

vdeane

Well, they'll ask "how long will you be in Canada", so yes.  Both sides with invariably ask some variant of where you're coming from and going to (US like I phrased it, Canada wants "where do you live") and what you're going to do/did in Canada.  Canada will almost always ask about what you're bringing with you, particularly if you have alcohol, guns, or cash over $10,000.  The US likes to know about what you spent while in Canada and what you're bringing back.  Reverse these for anyone reading this post who is a Canadian citizen rather than US (note: US also likes to know about drugs).

In my case, my first issue was probably not knowing how to answer the "where do you live" question (was not expecting it; thought they would ask "where are you coming from"); I answered "my permanent address is in Rochester but I go to college in Potsdam", which while true, probably invited the customs officer to think "illegal immigrant" and ask a ton of follow-up questions to every answer I provided.  To make matters worse, when she asked "are you done with school", I just assumed she meant the semester and answered yes; in retrospect, she probably meant "are you graduating".  It did not help that my "itinerary" was to drive to Montreal (arrival at 2, and going out of my way via Ogdensburg to clinch part of ON 401), meet with Asphalt Planet for a few hours, possibly have dinner with him and Dr. Frankenstein (turns out he got dinner at the ski resort, but that's neither here nor there for this discussion), and immediately head back.  Also of note is that I had never met Asphalt Planet in person before, and also that my car is registered to my Mom and 15 years old; both of these questions were asked).  The customs agent also seemed disappointed that all I had in my trunk was jumper cables.  At this point I was sent to secondary, where we went through the whole thing again, this time with enough detail that I could not get away with not explaining what a roadgeek was (though I used the term highway enthusiast) without lying, and also questions about employment and what my next obligations in the US were, and the immigration officer taking notes with every response.  This ended with the usual import questions (finally something I was prepared to answer!), the officer typing at her computer for five minutes, and me finally being free to continue to Montreal.  I'm 21, just finished my junior year of college, and no work other than work study stuff (which I just lost thanks to scholarships and federal regulations; thank god some people are willing to employ not work study, though these jobs are never advertised and often involve a little rule bending), and people in Canada graduate in three years rather than four, a fact I was not aware of until after this crossing.  Basically, I had red flags everywhere, which invites extra scrutiny.  It does not help that I look like a convicted felon in my passport photo (thankfully I now have an enhanced driver's license now, and I'll be updating my passport soon).

EDIT: Before being referred to immigration, the officer also asked when the last time I was in Canada.  This was three years before, on a class trip where Canadian customs never bothered to check ID or anything, so it's possible they didn't have the trip in my records and had to refer to US customs (who spend an hour looking at our passports, driver's licences, and birth certificates, since this was before WHTI went into effect and not everyone had a passport).

US customs was simpler, probably because I'm a US citizen (and crossing at Cornwall, so customs had no way of knowing that I went out of my way to get there).  While the US officer found my itinerary to be odd, he didn't see fit to do anything other than keep the interview going while he flipped though the passport, probably out of boredom; it was 8pm by that point, since I had decided to clinch ON 138 and the eastern end of ON 417 on the way back.  Still wanted me to explain what a highway enthusiast was though (the question that leads to this is how did you meet your fiend, and what is the internet forum about).

A larger roadmeet would probably be less likely to lend itself to such scrutiny simply due to the larger group size and easier time in finding a way to explain it without having to explain what a roadgeek is; the set itinerary helps too, because you can fall back on the restaurant and tour milestones if you need to rather than try to BS your way though not having an itinerary.  Someone with more experience crossing the border can probably do it even easier.

And thus is the tale of what currently is my only time interacting with customs officers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

I have two minor crossing experiences, both heading back to the US. The first time at Mooers (QC 219/NY 22), I ended up getting held for half an hour while I was questioned and searched. The second time at Rouses Point (QC 223/US 11), my cousin and I were waved through after talking to the border guard for about 30 seconds. I presume there is always a lot of YMMV with this sort of thing.

While I do intend to go to this meet if I can, I may not be able to. I will have a definitive answer by the middle of August, possibly sooner.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

It's looking like I might be able to attend by virtue of my family staying with my Aunt and Uncle in Hammond (20 min from the Ogdensburg-Prescott Bridge) during the week before classes.  I'll do a final RSVP when I have confirmed plans.

I'm thinking of leaving early and clinching ON 417 between Ottawa and ON 138 before the meet; not sure if I will though, since that could add an hour and a half.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Ian

I will be in the Ottawa area right before the meet, but as luck would have it, I leave back home on Friday the 24th, the day before the meet. It's a no-go for me.  :-/
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Dr Frankenstein

Alright. What's happening is that my friends recently told me their plan for vacation... a road trip to Virginia Beach. The problem is that their availability is pretty much constrained between Aug. 21 and 28. (Work, sport activities, etc.) Considering the exasperating amount of times that this meet has been put off, I tentatively declined the offer for the trip, but still, it annoys me a bit. Beach vacation and a chance to clinch several routes at once are hard to say no to. THERE IS NO CANCELLATION OR DATE CHANGE AS OF YET, but if anyone has a suggestion to make or even just advice, I'd love to hear. Everyone can also post their availability in September (not Labour Day) in case I decide to go on this vacation.

vdeane

Interesting... with it not being confirmed that I would be able to stay with my Aunt and Uncle past Friday night or Saturday morning, and Clarkson denying a move in before Saturday due to "construction" (never mind that there are people living in my area right now...), I haven't been sure about meet attendance.

For September, the weekends of the 8th, 15th, and 22nd all work for me.  For the following weekend it would have to be Sunday the 30th (first hockey game of the season on the 29th, and WCKN broadcasts all of the home games).  I believe Doug Kerr is looking to do a Binghamton meet this fall, which would be in the same time frame.  I'm also planning to do a road trip in the Adirondacks, but that will almost certainly be the Saturday before Labor Day, so it won't conflict.

oscar

I have a schedule conflict for Sept. 22.  Probably also the weekend after Labour Day (a beach trip of my own, if the weather cooperates).

vdeane

Gonna have to say no if the meet stays with Aug 25; my aunt and uncle will be having a ton of people staying between Saturday and Sunday, so I should move to Clarkson that day.

Dr Frankenstein

So here's what could be a plan. The meet still happens, same date and time. I provide a plan and/or points of interest. Those who can come do the tour and hang out. There may be a possibility for a second date for those who can't (including me). How's that?

oscar

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on August 14, 2012, 09:00:09 PM
So here's what could be a plan. The meet still happens, same date and time. I provide a plan and/or points of interest. Those who can come do the tour and hang out. There may be a possibility for a second date for those who can't (including me). How's that?

August 25 is pretty much out for me for various reasons, so a second date (like we did for a Maryland Inter-County Connector meet, done on a Thanksgiving weekend and again a week later) might give me a shot at attending.

AsphaltPlanet

Id consider attending on a second date as well, particularly if the 417 extension were to have opened first.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

vdeane

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on August 14, 2012, 09:00:09 PM
Sounds like a great idea.

Alps

Notice to all (potential) attendees:

The morning session will begin at 8:30 AM at the Park and Ride lot in Gatineau. It's located east of the meet restaurant on Chemin d'Aylmer, about 1.6 km/1 mile west of Island Park Drive/Place Samuel de Champlain on the south side of the road. It will cover the Highway 417 construction and a couple of other goodies.

The regular meet will begin at 12:00 PM at Bistro Mexicana, 129 Rue Principale, Gatineau, as planned. It will cover Autoroute 5 construction and several roads and sights around Ottawa.

There is a planned after-meet, time and participant dependent. It will cover Autoroute 50 construction east to Montebello and will take about 3 hours.

I'll have handouts for everyone as well as a ton of maps and other goodies - which will be on display all throughout Saturday. I plan to eat at La Pataterie Hulloise at Blvd. St-Joseph (QC 105) and Blvd. Montclair, just west of the A-5/A-50 interchange, around 8 PM Friday. If you'd like to join.

deathtopumpkins

While I really want to go, unfortunately I discovered that my family made other plans for me that day, so I'm out.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Dougtone

We have a meet photo...

2012 Canada's Capital Region Road Meet (Ottawa, Ontario) - August 25, 2012

From left to right
Standing - Nick Dubanow, Doug Kerr, Scott Davis, Anthony Costanzo
Kneeling - Steve Alpert

vdeane

Any plans concerning the potential second meet yet?

Dr Frankenstein

Not as of yet, I'm waiting for the St. Lawrence County meet to have a definite date. :)

vdeane

Just decided to stick with November 3.  My best availability for a second Ottawa meet would be either 9/8, 9/15, or 9/22, though 9/30 also works if you feel like looking at Sundays.  October I have WCKN stuff pretty much every Saturday (though there are some I could skip if we're looking at October, though I could use the money).  This weekend my main priority is to clinch NY 431 and nearby routes.

EDIT: I believe 9/22 is also available for Steve, though I'm not sure if he feels like heading back up since he was at the first Ottawa meet.  But who knows.

Alps

vdeane

Is a September weekend still a possibility for this?  My availability on Saturdays drops off after the Sept. 22 weekend.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.