News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 81 in Syracuse

Started by The Ghostbuster, May 25, 2016, 03:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewiecking

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 27, 2022, 02:25:23 PM
Quote from: davewiecking on March 27, 2022, 02:11:16 PM
Quote from: dzheng35 on March 26, 2022, 04:12:57 PM
Why can't something similar to this happen with I-68 through Cumberland Maryland by building a bypass around Cumberland and demolishing the I-68 viaduct and turning that into a community grid?

Syracuse has an already-existing I-481 bypass that can take over I-81. Hagerstown's suburbs have no such thing, nor as has been noted, the topography to allow one to be built at a reasonable cost and without unreasonable disruption to the area.
Hagerstown?

Thank you...

The Ghostbuster

How much would have to be torn down to "hypothetically"  reconstruct the substandard segment of Interstate 68 in Cumberland to Interstate Standards?

Rothman

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 27, 2022, 06:36:34 PM
How much would have to be torn down to "hypothetically"  reconstruct the substandard segment of Interstate 68 in Cumberland to Interstate Standards?
Given what would have been torn down in Syracuse, I'd imagine more than what people may think.  In Syracuse, at least there was space on the west side of the viaduct (still would have required massive ROW acquisition).  In Cumberland, I-68 was really squeezed through the city, much more tightly.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

seicer

I'm not sure it would be worth the expense but it's a densely populated area. Just to straighten out the curves would mean taking out some newly redeveloped areas near the viaduct - a spillover from the tourism generated by the Western Maryland Scenic Railway. It's also along the federal C&O Canal National Historical Park. I think that alone may be a non-starter to doing any major widening of the existing viaduct.

Rothman

Hello section 4(f), killer of project schedules.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on March 28, 2022, 12:15:57 AM
And for those of us who don't know which legal document you're referring to?

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on March 28, 2022, 09:52:42 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 28, 2022, 12:15:57 AM
And for those of us who don't know which legal document you're referring to?
USDOT Act of 1966.  Once public lands are involved, it kicks off an entire convoluted federal subprocess.

I was referring to the NPS C&O Canal site in Cumberland, rather than I-81.

Plutonic Panda

Rothman

abqtraveler

Quote from: Rothman on April 15, 2022, 09:09:21 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 15, 2022, 08:42:41 PM
Final design: https://www.localsyr.com/news/future-of-81/highlights-of-the-i-81-viaduct-project-final-environmental-impact-statement/
Well, FEIS, anyway.  Next stop, ROD.
I though the FHWA was publishing FEISs and RODs concurrently as a way to streamline the NEPA process. Why is that not the case here?
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Rothman

Quote from: abqtraveler on April 15, 2022, 10:38:49 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 15, 2022, 09:09:21 PM
Final design: https://www.localsyr.com/news/future-of-81/highlights-of-the-i-81-viaduct-project-final-environmental-impact-statement/
Well, FEIS, anyway.  Next stop, ROD.
I though the FHWA was publishing FEISs and RODs concurrently as a way to streamline the NEPA process. Why is that not the case here?
Not sure, but I haven't heard the ROD being signed off on yet.

FHWA's done some weird things with this one, though.  Legal sufficiency was strangely timed...some cart before the horse kinds of things.

ixnay

Anthony_JK

Record of Decision. It reflects FHWA's final approval of the selected alternative and the final passage of the NEPA/Section 106 environmental analysis process.

A 45 day period of comments from designated agencies and the public is normally given following the release of the Final EIS in order to solicit public comment; then, unless there is some significant opposition or any changes in impacts, the ROD is then approved, signed and released to the public.

Rothman

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 15, 2022, 11:56:05 PM
Record of Decision. It reflects FHWA's final approval of the selected alternative and the final passage of the NEPA/Section 106 environmental analysis process.

A 45 day period of comments from designated agencies and the public is normally given following the release of the Final EIS in order to solicit public comment; then, unless there is some significant opposition or any changes in impacts, the ROD is then approved, signed and released to the public.
Definitely waiting on any new comments (i.e., comments not previously addressed) in this case.  Lawsuits are also expected.

ixnay

Quote from: Rothman on March 27, 2022, 08:50:07 PMIn Syracuse, at least there was space on the west side of the viaduct (still would have required massive ROW acquisition).

Per Google Sat, I don't see too much open space west of the viaduct.  Some parking lots, but also the Pioneer Homes, the McMahon Child Advocacy Center, a parking garage, and a couple of other things.

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Rothman

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 17, 2022, 07:08:11 PM

Officially released on Good Friday? Is there something they're trying to hide?
Right.  The thing was distributed online and hard copies of the thousands of pages distributed to libraries and available for reading at DOT's Regional office.

And, because it was done on a holiday not observed by the State, NYSDOT is trying to hide something.

Puh-leeeeeze.

Rothman

Quote from: ixnay on April 17, 2022, 07:01:42 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 27, 2022, 08:50:07 PMIn Syracuse, at least there was space on the west side of the viaduct (still would have required massive ROW acquisition).

Per Google Sat, I don't see too much open space west of the viaduct.  Some parking lots, but also the Pioneer Homes, the McMahon Child Advocacy Center, a parking garage, and a couple of other things.
We were comparing it to Cumberland.

See the space between Adams and I-690 on the backside of the towers.  There's more space there than in Cumberland.

Context matters...

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Rothman on April 17, 2022, 10:22:45 PM

Right.  The thing was distributed online and hard copies of the thousands of pages distributed to libraries and available for reading at DOT's Regional office.

And, because it was done on a holiday not observed by the State, NYSDOT is trying to hide something.

Puh-leeeeeze.

It's a legit question that frankly doesn't warrant your derisive sarcasm. It's not exactly uncommon to release unpleasant things at the end of a week when people's minds are on an upcoming holiday.

(Moreover, to at least pretend that this isn't what they're doing, the report would necessarily have to be released on a day that isn't an official holiday.)

State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Rothman

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 17, 2022, 11:12:32 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 17, 2022, 10:22:45 PM

Puh-leeeeeze.

It's a legit question that frankly doesn't warrant your derisive sarcasm. It's not exactly uncommon to release unpleasant things on days when people's minds are on an upcoming holiday.

You specifically mentioned hiding.  If anything, your question wasn't legit because of your bias -- I think you wanted it to be something nefarious and wanted that notion confirmed.  So, you didn't take any initiative to look beyond that bias and see the quite ample evidence that NYSDOT wasn't trying to hide anything.

I mean, NYSDOT held a press conference, for crying out loud.  Someone hiding something doesn't typically announce it on all the news stations...

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Rothman on April 17, 2022, 11:16:55 PM
So, you didn't take any initiative to look beyond that bias

Other than asking my question on a message board full of people who pay attention to such things, no.

Past that, this seems to be something that pushes your berserk button, and so, to spare the throbbing vein in your forehead, I will bow out.

Alps

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 17, 2022, 11:20:39 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 17, 2022, 11:16:55 PM
So, you didn't take any initiative to look beyond that bias

Other than asking my question on a message board full of people who pay attention to such things, no.

Past that, this seems to be something that pushes your berserk button, and so, to spare the throbbing vein in your forehead, I will bow out.

Please do.

webny99

I don't think there's anything awry here - but it's obviously not good news for anyone that wanted the project to happen, while not generating much positive interest to anyone else. So it makes sense and isn't the least bit surprising that it would be a Friday news dump.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on April 18, 2022, 08:41:28 AM
I don't think there's anything awry here - but it's obviously not good news for anyone that wanted the project to happen, while not generating much positive interest to anyone else. So it makes sense and isn't the least bit surprising that it would be a Friday news dump.
How is it bad news for someone who wanted the project to happen?  The FEIS means the project is moving forward.

What'll hold it up now are the expected lawsuits (e.g., DestinyUSA).

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on April 18, 2022, 08:48:41 AM
Quote from: webny99 on April 18, 2022, 08:41:28 AM
How is it bad news for someone who wanted the project to happen?  The FEIS means the project is moving forward.

What'll hold it up now are the expected lawsuits (e.g., DestinyUSA).

Wow, I goofed badly. I didn't read back far enough and I thought this was the discussion about US 219 from another thread. Scratch my comment, but hopefully it makes more sense in that light!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.