News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 81 in Syracuse

Started by The Ghostbuster, May 25, 2016, 03:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Travel advisory has gone out that the I-81 SB ramp to I-481 NB at the southern interchange (16) is now closed, with the new ramp scheduled to open in 2025.

This means Contract 2 is well underway.

Saw a rendering that the new connection between I-81 SB and BL 81 NB will have a roundabout in the middle for Brighton Ave...thought it was originally planned to be a signal.  Good thing.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

The Ghostbuster

Are roundabouts common in New York State? I know there are plenty of traffic circles within the state, but what about roundabouts?

kalvado

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 01, 2023, 11:41:08 AM
Are roundabouts common in New York State? I know there are plenty of traffic circles within the state, but what about roundabouts?
At some point, there was a delivery of Roundabout-flavored  Red Bull to NYSDOT, so plenty were built. Now supply run out, and NYSDOT is learning  how to use roundabouts properly.

Rothman

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 01, 2023, 11:41:08 AM
In certain areas, yes.  Compared to MA, traffic circles are actually in shorter supply on average in NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: Sam on September 03, 2023, 07:24:50 PM
https://www.aclu.org/news/racial-justice/racism-by-design-the-building-of-interstate-81
Wasn't that posted in this thread already?  The article was written to time with the current debate over what to do with the surplus land -- land NYSDOT no longer will need to own for a transportation purpose.

Rothman

I'm hearing that mileage-based exit numbering on I-81 may be implemented as early as next construction season (2024).

Now that I've said that out loud, I probably jinxed it.

(personal opinion expressed)

The Ghostbuster

vdeane

It will be interesting to see how that works, given that new I-81 southbound won't be traversable without a detour until 2025.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

The Ghostbuster

Is there anything new to report on this thread?

Rothman

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 14, 2024, 04:00:11 PM
Is there anything new to report on this thread?
No.  The first two contracts are progressing through construction, the third contract is still to be awarded, the fourth and fifth are still to be let and the rulings for the lawsuits determining if Phase 2 can proceed have not yet been issued.

Now that the project is in construction and the lawsuits expected to be in NYSDOT/FHWA's favor, there's not much to be reported on, other than progress of the construction.

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/jRAK4c8XREezWLk7A
I wonder if the control cities used at Exit 35 will be transferred over to this sign and Syracuse will finally be added as a primary control for Exit 35 once the routes are permanently changed.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

webny99

Quote from: roadman65 on January 17, 2024, 10:28:18 AM
I wonder if the control cities used at Exit 35 will be transferred over to this sign and Syracuse will finally be added as a primary control for Exit 35 once the routes are permanently changed.

I think you mean Exit 36?  Syracuse is already in use at Exit 35.

roadman65

Quote from: webny99 on January 17, 2024, 01:55:44 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 17, 2024, 10:28:18 AM

I think you mean Exit 36?  Syracuse is already in use at Exit 35.

Yeah I meant that. I-81 should really have Syracuse anyway as it goes right to Downtown.  Binghamton is okay for now as it's the next major city south, but when I-481 becomes I-81, Binghamton will be more suited for Exit 34A.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

I'm going to choose control cities for the new signage that'll drive the ones obsessed with them nuts.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on January 18, 2024, 07:11:05 PM
I'm going to choose control cities for the new signage that'll drive the ones obsessed with them nuts.
Limon?

Sam

"Canada" and "Mall" ?

cockroachking

Quote from: Sam on January 18, 2024, 08:01:41 PM
"Canada" and "Mall" ?
Nah. "Bridge to Canada" and "Shopping Mall." NYSDOT precedent for both...

kalvado

Quote from: cockroachking on January 18, 2024, 09:22:59 PM
Quote from: Sam on January 18, 2024, 08:01:41 PM
"Canada" and "Mall" ?
Nah. "Bridge to Canada" and "Shopping Mall." NYSDOT precedent for both...
Bridge to Canada. Last chance before you are screwed!

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

It's funny how a change in route number can justify the need to change a control city. Good example is how when the Western Kentucky Parkway became I-69 how the control city changed from Elizabethtown to Henderson.  Does the number change really change the driving habits?  Has the ADT changed since I-69 got implemented at the Western Kentucky and Penryville Parkways changed now that I-69 is routed from one parkway to another?

I'm sure those that have traveled the whole length of the WP are still doing that and haven't changed their start and endpoints cause a new route takes over. Those who have, let's say, driven from Princeton to Elizabethtown before I-69 are still doing it today, and, really, have more people begin to now drive from Eddyville to Evansville because they created a new interstate using two different previous freeways?

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on January 19, 2024, 04:27:14 PM
It's funny how a change in route number can justify the need to change a control city. Good example is how when the Western Kentucky Parkway became I-69 how the control city changed from Elizabethtown to Henderson.  Does the number change really change the driving habits?  Has the ADT changed since I-69 got implemented at the Western Kentucky and Penryville Parkways changed now that I-69 is routed from one parkway to another?

I'm sure those that have traveled the whole length of the WP are still doing that and haven't changed their start and endpoints cause a new route takes over. Those who have, let's say, driven from Princeton to Elizabethtown before I-69 are still doing it today, and, really, have more people begin to now drive from Eddyville to Evansville because they created a new interstate using two different previous freeways?

This is the I-81 thread.  Take more general comments on control cities to one of the many related threads on this forum.

roadman65

Quote from: Rothman on January 19, 2024, 06:16:54 PM

This is the I-81 thread.  Take more general comments on control cities to one of the many related threads on this forum.
You're not a moderator. So shut up!

I'm not the first one to derail a thread, plus this was a response to the previous comment on here. Now if the discussion went further, yes it's valid, but not for you to be a moderator even so. So mind your business.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

Not going to touch the Kentucky stuff with a 10 foot pole (at least not in this thread), but with respect to I-81, given the removal of the viaduct, exit 36 won't exactly be a good way to get to Binghamton anymore, so hopefully the Thruway will update their control cities at some point.  Unfortunately the signage plans I found on the state's design-build site didn't show them doing so, but they also don't show things like I-81's new exit numbers outside the project area, so I can't imagine they're all-inclusive of everything that will happen.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

It irritates me to a disproportional amount that the I-81 exit numbering conversion has been split into multiple contracts.  I can see that it couldn't all fall under the main I-81 project due to probably complicating the EIS, but, altogether, there may be as many as four contracts to get the job done and they have to be coordinated/timed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.