News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Hawaii

Started by roadfro, November 28, 2018, 04:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

MOD NOTE: Taking a cue from the Northwest and Mountain West boards, I've created and stickied this thread as a place for random observations or questions relating to Hawaii–the Pacific Southwest board is dominated by California and Nevada topics, so hopefully this will prompt more discussion about Hawaii. As with the other state threads, if a topic in this thread starts delving into detailed/extended conversation, I'll likely split that discussion off to a more dedicated thread. –Roadfro
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

oscar

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

bing101

SoCal Kid

Anyone know why Interstates in Hawaii have I-H[number], instead of just I-[number] or Interstate [number]
Are spurs of spurs of spurs of loops of spurs of loops a thing? ;)

oscar

Interstates in Hawaii are part of a separate Interstate network from the mainland's. The I- prefix is reserved for the lower 48. Hawaii's network uses H-. The unsigned Interstate networks of Alaska and Puerto Rico are respectively A-__ and PRI-__.

Hawaii's Interstates are sometimes referred to as "Interstate H-__" (not "I-H-__"), but more often just by route number with "H" included as part of the route number. Sometimes route markers have hyphens after the H, but usually not.

SoCal Kid

Quote from: oscar on April 07, 2019, 09:11:19 PM
Interstates in Hawaii are part of a separate Interstate network from the mainland's. The I- prefix is reserved for the lower 48. Hawaii's network uses H-. The unsigned Interstate networks of Alaska and Puerto Rico are respectively A-__ and PRI-__.

Hawaii's Interstates are sometimes referred to as "Interstate H-__" (not "I-H-__"), but more often just by route number with "H" included as part of the route number. Sometimes route markers have hyphens after the H, but usually not.
Thanks!  :)
Are spurs of spurs of spurs of loops of spurs of loops a thing? ;)

MarkF

I was in Oahu a week ago, some quick observations:
-HI 61 Pali Hwy crossing between Honolulu and Kaneohe had storm damage back in February, and is only open 5am-9am in the Kaneohe to Honolulu direction and in the opposite direction 3pm-7pm.  It is expected to fully reopen in August.
-Saw quite a few abandoned and stripped cars on the side of some roads, similar to what I saw in Maui a decade ago when their junkyards closed, but not as bad.
-H1 west of HI76 is at 60mph, as is H3 on the Honolulu side of the tunnels.
-This stretch of Kalakaua Ave coming into Waikiki is interesting, one lane goes on the "wrong" side of the divider:
https://www.google.com/maps/@21.288565,-157.8346471,3a,75y,132.39h,95.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scXsa567CCuGRTu3gHYDQ7A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

bing101

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/01/14/breaking-news/dot-crews-receive-tons-of-asphalt-patching-to-plug-weather-related-potholes/

Hawaii to Patch Potholes on Oahu these affected roads are
Kamehameha Highway at Ke Iki Road in Haleiwa; Kamehameha Highway near Foodland in Pupukea; and Likelike Highway in the Kalihi-bound direction before Valley View Drive,

machias

I've become very familiar with H-1, H-2, H-3, H-201 over the past week and I'm noticing a lot of new guide signs in Series D, especially near the western end of H-1. They look good!

bing101

Road Hog

A high school friend of mine just posted this short Facebook Live video of his drive through what I assume is Honolulu. Thoughts / observations?

https://www.facebook.com/tnsolomon/videos/10216590726469631/?notif_id=1593290579806042&notif_t=live_video

oscar

Quote from: Road Hog on June 28, 2020, 11:20:53 PM
A high school friend of mine just posted this short Facebook Live video of his drive through what I assume is Honolulu. Thoughts / observations?

https://www.facebook.com/tnsolomon/videos/10216590726469631/?notif_id=1593290579806042&notif_t=live_video

Not from me, since I don't do Facebook and therefore can't view the video.

bing101

Road to Hana is open again in Maui.

bing101

https://www.khon2.com/wake-up-2day/social-scene-best-and-worst-roads/

Here is a Study on Hawaii's roads and the study says Hawaii has the 4th worst roads in the USA.

Bruce

Hawaii plans to close a section of I-H3 this week to create a large surge testing site for COVID.

Full news article: https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/state-will-shut-down-h-3-for-two-days-freeway-will-serve-as-covid-testing-site/

bing101

bing101

bing101

KCRoadFan

About a week or so ago, I saw a car with a Hawaii plate here in KC. How is it possible to find such cars on the mainland?

oscar

Quote from: KCRoadFan on November 26, 2020, 10:40:10 AM
About a week or so ago, I saw a car with a Hawaii plate here in KC. How is it possible to find such cars on the mainland?

Might be military. One perk of service is the Feds cover relocation expenses for servicemembers ordered to move to a new duty station. That includes barging their personal vehicles between Hawaii and the mainland, something too expensive for most of the rest of us (standard advice for people moving to Hawaii is to sell their cars on the mainland, and buy replacements once in Hawaii). When that happens, many if not all states will let the servicemembers keep their Hawaii plates, at least as long as they remain on active duty.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: oscar on November 26, 2020, 11:05:48 AM

Might be military. One perk of service is the Feds cover relocation expenses for servicemembers ordered to move to a new duty station. That includes barging their personal vehicles between Hawaii and the mainland, something too expensive for most of the rest of us (standard advice for people moving to Hawaii is to sell their cars on the mainland, and buy replacements once in Hawaii). When that happens, many if not all states will let the servicemembers keep their Hawaii plates, at least as long as they remain on active duty.

We have Fort Leavenworth right near here, and Whiteman AFB and Fort Riley aren't too far off - so yeah, that's probably the reason.

tdindy88

I'm guessing this can happen in reverse as well. Last year I saw a truck with Florida plates on I-H201. I've also seen one car with a Hawaii plate in Indiana as well as one in Lexington, Kentucky.

roadfro

Maybe less likely, but could also be a college student. I've seen some Hawaii plates here in Reno over the years, and knew a couple students at UNR that did bring a car over for their years in undergrad here.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Plutonic Panda

I see almost weekly in LA. In Oklahoma my neighbor is from Hawaii and was rocking Hawaii plates for awhile.

What I'm curious about is I've seen cars that fit the rental car look to a tee and have Hawaii plates which I wonder about.

mrsman

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on November 26, 2020, 02:08:39 PM
I see almost weekly in LA. In Oklahoma my neighbor is from Hawaii and was rocking Hawaii plates for awhile.

What I'm curious about is I've seen cars that fit the rental car look to a tee and have Hawaii plates which I wonder about.

If those are in fact rental cars, perhaps it is that there is a larger market for people to rent cars in Hawaii (given its a vacation destination) than there is a market for selling rental cars on the used car market.  If the price differential is great enough, that may cover the costs of shipping the car.  The rental car co. would ship the car to the mainland for resale and then put it up for auction.  While it is owned by the rental car co., there is no need to change the plates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.