News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

General NBA thread

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 27, 2018, 10:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy F 1988

I sense that if Miami meets Denver in Game 1 of the Finals, I see this potential series going to seven the way they've played so far.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

JayhawkCO

Nuggs in 6 vs. Heat.
Nuggs in 7 vs. Celtics.

Henry

The East finals is still not over, as the Celtics take Game 5 at home over the Heat. Two more wins and they'll be the first-ever NBA team to win a series after facing a 3-0 deficit. Must be the inspiration they took from the 2004 Red Sox, who remain the only MLB team to do the same thing, with the Yankees in the Heat's role.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jgb191

I'm beginning to believe that the Celtics deliberately set up the Heat to be the first team in NBA history to choke away a 3-0 lead.  The Celtics knew they were far more talented than the Heat, so it would seem like they see this as a golden opportunity to add up a history-making comeback story in their favor by spotting Miami the first three-and-a-half games then start playing in the second half of Game Four.  I didn't think the Celtics were cold and calculating like this.  It's like a grown man dangling candy to a child and when the child is close to taking it, the man pulls it away.

Game Six will determine if it was indeed a set-up or not.  If Boston wins another double-digit margin game Saturday night, then their Master Plan has been revealed, because no way Miami has the firepower to match that of the Celtics in Game Seven, or any other game for that matter (expecting a major blowout if the series goes back to Boston).
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: jgb191 on May 26, 2023, 12:49:38 AM
I'm beginning to believe that the Celtics deliberately set up the Heat to be the first team in NBA history to choke away a 3-0 lead.  The Celtics knew they were far more talented than the Heat, so it would seem like they see this as a golden opportunity to add up a history-making comeback story in their favor by spotting Miami the first three-and-a-half games then start playing in the second half of Game Four.  I didn't think the Celtics were cold and calculating like this.  It's like a grown man dangling candy to a child and when the child is close to taking it, the man pulls it away.

Game Six will determine if it was indeed a set-up or not.  If Boston wins another double-digit margin game Saturday night, then their Master Plan has been revealed, because no way Miami has the firepower to match that of the Celtics in Game Seven, or any other game for that matter (expecting a major blowout if the series goes back to Boston).

We tend to be quite superstitious here in the Boston area, especially about our sports teams. Witness the Curse of the Bambino, 1918-2004. If the Celtics do end up winning the series (which I won't predict), we will be crediting the appearance of Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter in Game 4 (when Miami was up 3-0) as the reason. Both belonged to the 2004 Yankees team that I believe blew the only 3-0 lead in MLB history. Could it happen? Who knows.

jgb191

So it will be the Denver Nuggets vs the Boston Celtics in this year's NBA Finals.  The Celtics will advance to the Finals in consecutive years for the first time this century (hasn't happened consecutively since the 1986 and 1987 Finals).

Despite Denver owning the top seed and Boston the #2 seed, the latter will have home court advantage due to better regular season record.  While it seems most of the basketball world tends to root for the storied franchise, I'm going the other way, I want to see one less team on the title-less list, so I am supporting Denver to win their first in franchise history.

Game One -- Denver at Boston -- is Thursday night.

Rothman

Quote from: jgb191 on May 28, 2023, 12:33:28 AM
So it will be the Denver Nuggets vs the Boston Celtics in this year's NBA Finals.  The Celtics will advance to the Finals in consecutive years for the first time this century (hasn't happened consecutively since the 1986 and 1987 Finals).

Despite Denver owning the top seed and Boston the #2 seed, the latter will have home court advantage due to better regular season record.  While it seems most of the basketball world tends to root for the storied franchise, I'm going the other way, I want to see one less team on the title-less list, so I am supporting Denver to win their first in franchise history.

Somebody's jumping the gun...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Rothman on May 28, 2023, 10:03:41 AM

Yes, let's not jinx it.....

hotdogPi

Just a question: why does overtime exist in basketball? It would be pretty easy to implement "continue until the score is no longer tied" as part of the fourth quarter, which would typically take less than two minutes after the clock hits 0.

For comparison, the NHL does it (a goal scored in overtime ends the game immediately), soccer depends on the league, the MLB has it as much as it can with teams being unable to score at the same time, and it doesn't work in the NFL because it's a lot easier to score 3 points than 7.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on May 28, 2023, 10:44:38 AM
Just a question: why does overtime exist in basketball? It would be pretty easy to implement "continue until the score is no longer tied" as part of the fourth quarter, which would typically take less than two minutes after the clock hits 0.

For comparison, the NHL does it (a goal scored in overtime ends the game immediately), soccer depends on the league, the MLB has it as much as it can with teams being unable to score at the same time, and it doesn't work in the NFL because it's a lot easier to score 3 points than 7.
Probably because of the nature of the game and "first one to score a basket in the 5th quarter wins" is a huge advantage to whoever gets the ball first.  It'd be pretty silly.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on May 28, 2023, 10:46:32 AM

Probably because of the nature of the game and "first one to score a basket in the 5th quarter wins" is a huge advantage to whoever gets the ball first.  It'd be pretty silly.

Not the 5th quarter. No break in action. It would be a continuation of the fourth quarter. No change in possession happens when the clock hits 0 (unless a basket just went in to tie the game, in which case the other team gets the ball like they always do after a basket is made).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

JayhawkCO

Google "Elam Ending".

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on May 28, 2023, 11:02:37 AM
Quote from: Rothman on May 28, 2023, 10:46:32 AM

Not the 5th quarter. No break in action. It would be a continuation of the fourth quarter. No change in possession happens when the clock hits 0 (unless a basket just went in to tie the game, in which case the other team gets the ball like they always do after a basket is made).
Well, whatever.  I think it would still feel unfair and silly, for what I outlined.

amroad17

^ Back in the 1980's the Continental Basketball Association (CBA), a minor league operation, had two sets of overtime rules for winning the game.  First, they had a "first to three points"  in the OT–in other words, first team to score three points wins.  This ended games very quickly, really too quickly.  So, they devised another rule in which it was a "lead by three points"  wins.  This prolonged the OT a bit longer–as there was no game clock running, only the shot clock.  These rules were made to shorten OT plus to add excitement and risk to get to three or lead by three as quick as possible.  It also was a byproduct of the CBA's "7-Point System" .  In this, standings were not determined by wins and losses but by points accumulated through the season.  If a team scored more points than the other team in a quarter, that team would receive one point.  This would be for all four quarters in the game.  The team that won would receive three points in the standings.  So, if a team won every quarter, and obviously the game, they would receive all seven points.  Tied quarters would enable each team to receive 0.5 points.  A team could win the first three quarters of a game, be outscored in the fourth and lose, would receive three points with the other team receiving four points for winning the fourth quarter and the game.  An auxiliary scoreboard was mounted in each CBA arena showing the quarter score with the game score on the regular scoreboard.  So, winning in OT meant receiving three points in the standings.

This did lead to instances where a team with a better win-loss record ended up behind a team that accumulated more points than the better win-loss team.  For example, in the 1981-82 season, which was the first season to use the "7-Point System" , the Alberta Dusters, with a record of 12-34, finished in third place ahead of the 14-32 Anchorage Northern Knights because they scored more points throughout the season.  The next season, the Rochester Zeniths, at 29-15, won the East Division over the 30-14 Lancaster Lightning because of scoring more points–basically winning more quarters throughout the season.

After a few years of the OT experimentation, the CBA reverted back to the traditional five minute OT period.

Why does an OT period exist in basketball (and some other sports)?  Because most players, coaches, and fans do not like tied games.  They want to see a game that is played to a winning (and losing) outcome.

As far as the Celtics possibly achieving NBA history, there have been three instances in the NBA and one instance in the ABA in which a team has come back from a 3-0 deficit to tie the series.  In order...
    1. 1951: New York Knicks vs the Rochester Royals in the Championship Series.
    2. 1974: Indiana Pacers vs the Utah Stars in the ABA Western Division Finals.
    3. 1994: Denver Nuggets vs the Utah Jazz in the Western Conference Semifinals.
    4. 2003: Portland Trail Blazers vs the Dallas Mavericks in the Western Conference First Round.

Unfortunately, the teams that came back to tie the series lost Game 7.  However, all Game 7's were won by the home team.  Boston is playing Game 7 at home tonight (Monday) becoming the first team to come back from the 3-0 deficit and play at home.  We all will see if history will be made or will see if the trend continues.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

jgb191

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on May 28, 2023, 10:33:21 AM

I do not believe in curses, jinxes, or superstition.  Miami's spirits are shattered beyond repair.  What I do believe in is that it is practically pointless for the Heat to even waste fuel and make the trip to Boston especially when everyone knows Miami can't (and won't) win Game Seven.

Roadgeekteen

I know this Celtics team all too well, we can get blown out in game 7 and I wouldn't be shocked.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Henry

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on May 26, 2023, 06:46:06 AM
Quote from: jgb191 on May 26, 2023, 12:49:38 AM

We tend to be quite superstitious here in the Boston area, especially about our sports teams. Witness the Curse of the Bambino, 1918-2004. If the Celtics do end up winning the series (which I won't predict), we will be crediting the appearance of Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter in Game 4 (when Miami was up 3-0) as the reason. Both belonged to the 2004 Yankees team that I believe blew the only 3-0 lead in MLB history. Could it happen? Who knows.
There's also the 2016 Patriots, who overcame a 28-3 deficit in Super Bowl LI and won in OT. Six years later, the Falcons are still haunted by that memory, especially the part where another White victimized them with the winning score. Game 6 of the East finals is probably going to have that same bad effect on the Heat after the buzzer-beater in Miami that ruined their last best chance to win. To date, this is only the second playoff game to end this way with the winning team facing elimination; the other? Michael Jordan making "The Shot" over Craig Ehlo at Cleveland in the (then) decisive Game 5 of the East quarterfinals in 1989.

(Derrick = James)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jgb191 on May 29, 2023, 12:37:16 AM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on May 28, 2023, 10:33:21 AM

I do not believe in curses, jinxes, or superstition.  Miami's spirits are shattered beyond repair.  What I do believe in is that it is practically pointless for the Heat to even waste fuel and make the trip to Boston especially when everyone knows Miami can't (and won't) win Game Seven.

They're professionals. No pros count themselves out of anything. Anyway, Nuggs in 6.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: jgb191 on May 29, 2023, 12:37:16 AM

Uhhhh..... dude.....   :sombrero: :-D :D :) :pan: :biggrin: :bigass:

With the washed-up LeBron and the choke-artist Celtics gone (they had a chance to make history tonight, had they bothered to show up for the game), ESPN is in a bit of a pickle as far as ratings and ad dollars go.  Sucks to be them.   :)

And Miami has two teams in their respective sport's finals.  Too bad they'll probably lose both in 6 or 7.  I just don't see Vegas or Denver losing, but since they have to play the games....
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Rothman

Tatum seemed hurt during the game.

Ted$8roadFan

Tatum appears to have hurt his ankle at the start of the game, which seemed to bother him throughout. However, that isn't why they lost. The team as a whole once again became inconsistent when it mattered the most, reminding everyone of why they went 0-3 to begin with. Plus, the Heat were just better.

jgb191

I was wrong about Game Seven; I was wrong!  Just goes to remind everyone, including me, of Kevin Garnett's two-word celebratory quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcz_kDCBTBk

Game Seven is usually determined by which team wanted the game more.  All signs pointed towards the Celtics to win game seven -- home court, greater talent, and momentum.  What I forgot to factor in was how little fuel the Celtics had left after they tied the series, Celtics inconsistency, Heat's resolution, and the coaching mismatch in Miami's favor.   Erik Spoelstra >>>>>>>>>>> Joe Mazzulla was the biggest factor in the series.

The Miami Heat are arguably the best-run organization in all of sports from team captain (Jimmy Butler) to coach (Erik) to director (Alonzo Mourning) to president (Pat Riley).

As for the Finals, the Nuggets will be too over-rested by Game One and the Heat should take advantage and I believe they will use that to win the first game.  I predict the Heat will also be good enough to take one additional game at home.  So I predict Denver wins their first in franchise history in six games.

JayhawkCO

I think the Celtics-Heat series came down to a couple of things:

Jimmy Butler is great in the playoffs and while he can take over a game offensively shooting the ball, he can also do so distributing and on defense.
Jayson Tatum is great also, but doesn't have the passing of Jimmy and obviously he hurt his ankle in Game 7 limiting him.
Boston doesn't have a lot of offense outside of Tatum/Brown/Horford. When Brown was having a bad game last night (8 turnovers), there's not a lot of other places to turn.
Miami's bench is much better providing an offensive spark than Boston's.
Spoelstra has a lot more experience than Mazzulla. I don't think Mazzulla is a bad coach, but playoff coaching is different than regular season and he just hasn't experienced it yet.
Miami has a hardnosed mentality, and the prospect of becoming the first team go lose after being up 3-0 wasn't going to phase them.

jgb191

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 30, 2023, 03:58:02 PM
I think the Celtics-Heat series came down to a couple of several things:

Jimmy Butler is great in the playoffs and while he can take over a game offensively shooting the ball, he can also do so distributing and on defense.
Jayson Tatum is great also, but doesn't have the passing of Jimmy and obviously he hurt his ankle in Game 7 limiting him.
Boston doesn't have a lot of offense outside of Tatum/Brown/Horford. When Brown was having a bad game last night (8 turnovers), there's not a lot of other places to turn.
Miami's bench is much better providing an offensive spark than Boston's.
Spoelstra has a lot more experience than Mazzulla. I don't think Mazzulla is a bad coach, but playoff coaching is different than regular season and he just hasn't experienced it yet.
Miami has a hardnosed mentality, and the prospect of becoming the first team go lose after being up 3-0 wasn't going to phase them.

And your prediction for the winner of the NBA Finals next month?

By the way, I fixed it for you in the quote box.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.