News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

CA 39 Reopening Project Scoping Meeting

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 07, 2022, 09:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Seems Caltrans is having a virtual public meeting regarding the prospect of reopening CA 39 at Islip Saddle.  The meeting is virtual and will be held at 6:30 PM on December 15.  The meeting registration link is below.  If I can find the time I plan to attend myself:

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_jnrKgQ0aTUy1Kf2tE6BSmA?fbclid=IwAR3TeQgt0uiukxwsXD7kv__NCXdRjL5RBGZNp5fRQ-_BAD7OWMOUPxzmOUo&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

ClassicHasClass

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 07, 2022, 09:43:09 AM
Seems Caltrans is having a virtual public meeting regarding the prospect of reopening CA 39 at Islip Saddle.  The meeting is virtual and will be held at 6:30 PM on December 15.  The meeting registration link is below.  If I can find the time I plan to attend myself:

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_jnrKgQ0aTUy1Kf2tE6BSmA?fbclid=IwAR3TeQgt0uiukxwsXD7kv__NCXdRjL5RBGZNp5fRQ-_BAD7OWMOUPxzmOUo&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

God forbid the state should try to reopen highways.

Max Rockatansky

Bumping this up given virtual public meeting is tomorrow night.

Plutonic Panda

Hopefully it happens. It seems like this is a good level of support for it.

Max Rockatansky

SeriesE

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 03, 2023, 01:33:34 PM
D7 posted the presentation on YouTube:

Alternative 5 - full viaduct is my favorite, though it looks like it will cost the most.

However, given the current California political climate (filled with politicians that dislike building roads), it's very likely they will choose Alternative 1, no build alternative.

Max Rockatansky

I wonder about that.  The fires of recent years have strengthened local support towards reopening 39 as an evacuation route.  Similarly a lot of local state highway issues around me didn't get fixed in D6 until locals raised a fit after the winter of 2016-17.  Maybe things don't stay the same forever in this state, especially if there is a strong enough push?

pderocco

I like the Full Public Opening option. The Viaduct idea makes me nervous.

I'd like to see them not only open 39 to 2, but to continue it north down to Big Rock Creek Rd in Valyermo. That would make it much more useful. And that looks easier than the current project under consideration, since the slopes are much gentler.

It's too bad there are so many misanthropic zealots with power. The idea that a road project shouldn't be built if even a single member of a protected species would face an increased risk of being hit by a vehicle is unreasonable. No one would argue that a road shouldn't be built because some human would be exposed to such a risk. There's nothing wrong with taking reasonable steps to protect wildlife, but a project like this isn't going to drive bighorn sheep into extinction.

Quillz

Wasn't CA-39 opened briefly in 2003 to allow fire trucks to reach a fire in the area? I seem to recall hearing something about that, and there was no issue at the time. Hard to believe the connection hasn't been open since 1978. But this is still one of those "I'll believe it when it happens" moments.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.