News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

CA 240

Started by Max Rockatansky, April 05, 2023, 09:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

California State Route 240 was a short-lived State Highway designation applied during 1964 to the planned San Gabriel River Freeway south of California State Route 22 towards Seal Beach.  A small portion of California State Route 240 was opened to traffic during 1966 in the form of connecting ramps between the San Gabriel River Freeway and California State Route 22.  California State Route 240 was folded into the larger definition of Route 605 when the chargeable Interstate 605 corridor was shifted during 1968. 

https://www.gribblenation.org/2023/04/former-california-state-route-240.html?m=1

DTComposer

The path of Nassau Drive in the northwest corner of Leisure World (on the south side of CA-22/7th Street) was altered in the '60s - on Historic Aerials you can see in 1963 the grading for the neighborhood had Nassau following the corner, but in 1972 that path was abandoned and the awkward corner-cutting route was in place. By the '80s it looks like the original path was in use for access to a community garden.

I don't have anything to confirm this, but it sure looks like Nassau Drive was altered to accommodate the path of CA-240.

TheStranger

Quote from: DTComposer on April 07, 2023, 07:02:15 PM
The path of Nassau Drive in the northwest corner of Leisure World (on the south side of CA-22/7th Street) was altered in the '60s - on Historic Aerials you can see in 1963 the grading for the neighborhood had Nassau following the corner, but in 1972 that path was abandoned and the awkward corner-cutting route was in place. By the '80s it looks like the original path was in use for access to a community garden.

I don't have anything to confirm this, but it sure looks like Nassau Drive was altered to accommodate the path of CA-240.

This is similar to the right of way clearing north of Anaheim Street (roughly parallel to Harbor Street in Long Beach) for the never-built Terminal Island Freeway connection northeast to today's 710/405 interchange.  (A 1967 Rand McNally atlas showed the planned interchange modifications, which would tie into the unusually separated existing flyover from 405 S to 710 N)
Chris Sampang

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: TheStranger on April 08, 2023, 12:57:13 AM

This is similar to the right of way clearing north of Anaheim Street (roughly parallel to Harbor Street in Long Beach) for the never-built Terminal Island Freeway connection northeast to today's 710/405 interchange.  (A 1967 Rand McNally atlas showed the planned interchange modifications, which would tie into the unusually separated existing flyover from 405 S to 710 N)
I would consider you to be a fine fellow if you posted a shot of that "˜67 map.

TheStranger

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on April 10, 2023, 09:21:05 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on April 08, 2023, 12:57:13 AM

I would consider you to be a fine fellow if you posted a shot of that "˜67 map.

I'll check my archives later and see if I still have it. Interestingly, that right of way IS visible in 1960s maps...as part of a power line corridor:
https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/img4/ht_icons/overlay/CA/CA_Long%20Beach_292497_1964_24000_geo.jpg
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.