News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Vasco Road

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 04, 2023, 11:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Vasco Road is a 17.7-mile roadway spanning the northern Diablo Range beginning at California State Route 4 in Brentwood of Contra Costa County south to Tesla Road/Alameda County Route J2 in Livermore.  The corridor of Vasco Road was added as a planned extension of Legislative Route Number 108 during 1959 which became planned California State Route 84 during the 1964 State Highway Renumbering.  Despite never being constructed to State Highway standards much of Vasco Road is an expressway design.  12.8-miles of Vasco Road was realigned during 1996 to make way for the Los Vaqueros Reservoir.  Vasco Road was extended north to where it now terminates at California State Route 4 during 2009.   Several curves and steeps grades along Vasco Road north of Livermore were eliminated during 2010.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2023/05/vasco-road-planned-california-state.html?m=1

Concrete Bob

If there was any road that needed to be upgraded to a four-lane limited access expressway or full-on freeway in Norther California, it would be Vasco Road.  The local planning officials have their collective heads up their respective colons. 

pderocco

I think they'd need to build a bypass to connect it as a freeway to I-580.

thsftw

It's weird that they extended 4 to a super 2 freeway up to where it turns into Vasco, but easily could just extend the freeway section down via Mountain House Road (don't even need it to be on Vasco). But they just...don't.

cl94

There are proposals to build a toll road paralleling Vasco Road, but yeah. It's busy enough to warrant 4 lanes and there's not a ton of redundancy in the area.

Far from the only road in the region that desperately needs to be wider just due to the volumes it sees and importance as a link. See also: SRs 12 and 37, the Bay Area and Delta "2 lane death traps".
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Concrete Bob

In order to link Isabel Avenue (SR 84 at 580) to Vasco Road, there would need to be some sort of link between the two corridors north of Interstate 580, in order to have some route and corridor continuity.  Obviously, the route will run mostly due east-west. Will it ever happen?  Only Alameda County and Caltrans know for sure. 

bing101

I knew CA-84 gap existed and Vasco Rd is one of the busiest highways in Northern California not managed by Caltrans. This one was supposed to connect to the northern portion of CA-84 or CA-160 from Rio Vista to West Sacramento.

paulthemapguy

I remember seeing Vasco Road on maps and thinking to myself, "why in the hell isn't this a state highway?"
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 13, 2023, 02:50:13 PM
I remember seeing Vasco Road on maps and thinking to myself, "why in the hell isn't this a state highway?"

The irony is that it probably could be pushed to be one of the counties rebuilt it fully as a Caltrans standard expressway.  There was a large run of state highway additions circa 1972 that were taken into the state highway system upon local agencies rebuilding certain roads to Division of Highways standards.

bing101

Quote from: cl94 on May 08, 2023, 09:30:28 PM
There are proposals to build a toll road paralleling Vasco Road, but yeah. It's busy enough to warrant 4 lanes and there's not a ton of redundancy in the area.

Far from the only road in the region that desperately needs to be wider just due to the volumes it sees and importance as a link. See also: SRs 12 and 37, the Bay Area and Delta "2 lane death traps".
CA-12 and CA-37 should be widen but we run into the it affects the San Pablo Bay and Sacramento Delta arguments. However, Solano County especially has to respond to the suburban sprawl of both the Bay Area and Sacramento at the same time. This area attracts people who work in either Sacramento and Bay Area at the same time.  I'm not sure what the full answer here but this area is required to negotiate with the economic interests of San Francisco, Napa and Sacramento one way or another.

bing101

Here is a tour on Vasco Road.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.