News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadyjay

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on April 24, 2019, 12:09:52 PM
I-84 Hartford area signing contract up for bid:
https://biznet.ct.gov/SCP_Search/BidDetail.aspx?CID=49509

Was just going to mention this!  A few observations/notes/comments:

*  Not all signs Exits 40-42 are in this contract.  Work to add operational lanes in this area will replace those signs not replaced in this contract.
*  Exits 46-50 (the heart of the I-84 viaduct, future project) are getting new signs, but they'll all be mounted on existing overhead supports. 
*  Exit 53 (EB) will remain "44 East/Conn Blvd/E Hartford and Exit 56 (WB) will remain "Governor St/Downtown East Hartford"
*  Exit 56 in the westbound direction is getting one up arrow, a la arrow per lane, which I'm not a fan of in this case.
*  Only noticed one ATTRACTIONS logo sign to be put up, those EB approaching Exit 46 will remain a hodgepodge of standalone individual signs (for now).
*  No "service bar" installations noted within this project.  Perhaps its because of the urban-ness of the area. 

This project basically removes the last of the Phase III button copy signage from I-84.  It stops when the signs get even older than the ones in this project getting replaced (Exits 58-64), so hopefully that'll come at some point in the near future.  There are lots of old support structures in that area, including several old trusses and cantilevers that can't be in the best of shape, but they can't be too bad if they keep getting overlooked in the state's spot overhead sign structure replacement projects.

roadman

The new sign for Exit 43 eastbound (Sheet TR-06) illustrates one of my pet peeves:  Stating "Low Clearance" without noting the actual clearance.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: shadyjay on April 24, 2019, 01:22:20 PMIt stops when the signs get even older than the ones in this project getting replaced (Exits 58-64), so hopefully that'll come at some point in the near future.  There are lots of old support structures in that area, including several old trusses and cantilevers that can't be in the best of shape, but they can't be too bad if they keep getting overlooked in the state's spot overhead sign structure replacement projects.
Some of the route shields in those signs (Exit 58-64 stretch) are in bad shape as well.

The numerals on the CT 30 shield on this BGS are pretty much gone.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

RobbieL2415

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 24, 2019, 01:53:25 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on April 24, 2019, 01:22:20 PMIt stops when the signs get even older than the ones in this project getting replaced (Exits 58-64), so hopefully that'll come at some point in the near future.  There are lots of old support structures in that area, including several old trusses and cantilevers that can't be in the best of shape, but they can't be too bad if they keep getting overlooked in the state's spot overhead sign structure replacement projects.
Some of the route shields in those signs (Exit 58-64 stretch) are in bad shape as well.

The numerals on the CT 30 shield on this BGS are pretty much gone.
Those date to either the redesignation from I-86 or when the HOV lane opened.  Oddly enough, I-84s oldest remaining pavement (excl concrete) section is between Exits 64 and halfway to 66 on the Eastbound side.

KEVIN_224

That faded sign on the Google Maps link was still there in early to mid March. Another sign which needs replacement ASAP is both sides of the Tolland/Vernon town line sign in the median. The lettering is even falling off parts of it.

kurumi

This... could have been the time to acknowledge CT 173 at Exit 41 ("S. Main St"). Oh well.

(For sign diagrams, skip to page 197 in Contract_Special_Provisions.pdf)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: kurumi on April 24, 2019, 11:15:53 PM

This... could have been the time to acknowledge CT 173 at Exit 41 ("S. Main St"). Oh well.

Agreed.

A couple of thoughts:

1. I like how New Park Ave finally gets some respect.  However, I would have included it with Flatbush Ave WB as you'd be backtracking by taking the Prospect Ave ramp to Kane St (I would've left Oakwood WB).

2. I hope the signs in the vicinity of the tunnel are fabricated wide enough for suffixed exits.  Future Exit numbers EB would be 61 A-B (Capitol/Asylum), 62A (Ann Uccello), 62B (Main St), and to fall in MUTCD alignment, 62D (91 North) would come before 62C (91 South). The 3 East Hartford exits would be 63A (which should read US 44 EAST Connecticut Blvd/East River Dr). 63B (CT 2), and 63C (Governor St Downtown EH)  Also wish there would have been a TO US 44 West on the Main St EB exit, much as there is a TO US 6 West Sign on Fienemann Rd signage EB. Capitol would have to switch to 61A so that Asylum would be 61B in both directions.

3. I can't stand the remaining redundancy of putting TO I-91 South on the Main St WB exit sign.  Traffic for 91 South would have already taken the CT 15 Exit over the Charter Oak Bridge to get there.  I understand it was put there to replace the connection from the Founders Bridge, but the ramp has been closed for almost 30 years.  Also need wider tabs for future suffixes.  The exits WB from Governor St to Flatbush Ave would go 63C, 63B, 63A, 62D, 62B, 61B, 61A, 60B, 60A.     
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ipeters61

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 24, 2019, 11:43:41 PM
I can't stand the remaining redundancy of putting TO I-91 South on the Main St WB exit sign.  Traffic for 91 South would have already taken the CT 15 Exit over the Charter Oak Bridge to get there.  I understand it was put there to replace the connection from the Founders Bridge, but the ramp has been closed for almost 30 years.  Also need wider tabs for future suffixes.  The exits WB from Governor St to Flatbush Ave would go 63C, 63B, 63A, 62D, 62B, 61B, 61A, 60B, 60A.   
What about traffic coming from East Hartford (west of CT-15, e.g. on US-5, US-44, Governor St, etc) taking I-84 WB to get to I-91 SB?  There's still quite a distance between Exit 57 and Exit 50.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: ipeters61 on April 25, 2019, 12:26:47 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 24, 2019, 11:43:41 PM
I can't stand the remaining redundancy of putting TO I-91 South on the Main St WB exit sign.  Traffic for 91 South would have already taken the CT 15 Exit over the Charter Oak Bridge to get there.  I understand it was put there to replace the connection from the Founders Bridge, but the ramp has been closed for almost 30 years.  Also need wider tabs for future suffixes.  The exits WB from Governor St to Flatbush Ave would go 63C, 63B, 63A, 62D, 62B, 61B, 61A, 60B, 60A.   
What about traffic coming from East Hartford (west of CT-15, e.g. on US-5, US-44, Governor St, etc) taking I-84 WB to get to I-91 SB?  There's still quite a distance between Exit 57 and Exit 50.

It's only about 2 miles (Exit 57 would be new Exit 64).  It would be easier for most traffic to go down to the Route 15 South entrance on East River Dr and go over the Charter Oak Bridge than to negotiate Hartford city streets. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

RobbieL2415

I-91 Project updates:

-CBYD has been marked
-some signs have been marked with pink tape
-Portable VMSs have been delivered and placed.
-Access road cleared leading from CT 15 S to Airport Rd.

KEVIN_224

Lighting at Exit 23 of CT Route 9 (Christian Lane) in Berlin may soon change. Bases are in around the whole interchange, clearly for new light posts.

jp the roadgeek

Just took a look at a DOT traffic cam of a car fire, and it seems the new 3/4 mile CT 4 and 1 1/2 mi CT 9 gantry is now up on I-84 EB just past the erroneous right aligned left Exit supplemental signage for Exit 39. Haven't been going that way every day lately, so I've kind of fallen behind on updates.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/DEK2t8L9mHnLibJ77
I see CT has adopted the yellow border back plates and is using a box assembly span wire instead of the diagonal. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mergingtraffic

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-i91-traffic-headaches-charter-oak-bridge-20190503-2x5iwonwube35ht2frzdc7kk4e-story.html

I-91 widening and a new left exit for I-91.
I get the left exit idea but just don't like the idea of a left exit.  I didn't know the current Exit 29 was only constructed in the late 1980s...just never thought of it.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on May 05, 2019, 06:19:49 PM
https://www.courant.com/business/hc-i91-traffic-headaches-charter-oak-bridge-20190503-2x5iwonwube35ht2frzdc7kk4e-story.html

I get the left exit idea but just don't like the idea of a left exit.  I didn't know the current Exit 29 was only constructed in the late 1980s...just never thought of it.
This isn't a left exit in the traditional sense. According to the plans, at the split you'll have the two left lanes for CT 15 (to I-84) and the three right lanes through to I-91.  You won't have traffic queueing up for the Charter Oak Bridge.  It will be a high-speed ramp with no crossover from I-91.  On the bridge, the left two lanes will be through to I-84, the right two lanes will be coming from CT 15 with the furthest right lane being exit only for Exit 90.  After exit 90 its the same as it is now except with one additional lane past Exit 91.

Funny thing is in all the drawings I've seen when the project is done there will be a stub on the northbound side of the bridge where the old ramp was.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 05, 2019, 08:04:09 PM

This isn't a left exit in the traditional sense. According to the plans, at the split you'll have the two left lanes for CT 15 (to I-84) and the three right lanes through to I-91.  You won't have traffic queueing up for the Charter Oak Bridge.  It will be a high-speed ramp with no crossover from I-91.  On the bridge, the left two lanes will be through to I-84, the right two lanes will be coming from CT 15 with the furthest right lane being exit only for Exit 90.  After exit 90 its the same as it is now except with one additional lane past Exit 91.

Funny thing is in all the drawings I've seen when the project is done there will be a stub on the northbound side of the bridge where the old ramp was.

Actually I was thinking it'll be like I-84 at US-7 in Danbury in a few years....back ups bc of cars changing lanes to get off the exit. But we shall see.

ipeters61

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on May 05, 2019, 08:33:36 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 05, 2019, 08:04:09 PM

Actually I was thinking it'll be like I-84 at US-7 in Danbury in a few years....back ups bc of cars changing lanes to get off the exit. But we shall see.
Isn't the problem with I-84 at US-7 that US-7 enters 84 on the right and then exits on the left? (in both directions)  Isn't that how they fixed I-84 at CT-72?  By at least ensuring that traffic staying on the same route number wouldn't have to switch lanes?
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

jp the roadgeek

The I-84/CT 72 interchange has its own set of problems with sharp curves and more dangerous weaving, plus at certain times of year, blinding sunlight during rush hour.  There have been several fatal accidents on the I-84 EB curve with the Crooked St exit ramp, the 72 East downhill curve just before joining the concurrency, and the 72 West uphill curve just before the concurrency.  Then there's the weaving.  The number of cars switching roadways is ridiculous, and was even worse before the EB entrances from Crooked St opened and all traffic from Plainville bound for 84 and 72 East had to use the Hooker St entrance almost halfway across town.  There is the potential for a rear end or sideswipe collision both EB just past the Crooked St overpass and WB at the top of the 72 West approach, not to mention traffic entering from 72 West can't see traffic approaching in the 84 lanes until they're actually in the concurrency, and it becomes a race/game of chicken as to which car switching routes gets to move over first; that is, if the vehicles in the left lane of 72 or right lane of 84 is switching roads, or is a thru vehicle, which means the switching vehicle will have to suddenly slow down and yield to the thru vehicle.  Having negotiated the junction thousands of times, I'm familiar with it.  But I've seen many an out of town cowboy on 84 pull into the 72 lanes to pass slower traffic, then realize at the last second they're going to be on 72 and then pull across 2 lanes in 50 feet to get back in the 84 lanes.   

ipeters61

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 05, 2019, 11:50:52 PM
But I've seen many an out of town cowboy on 84 pull into the 72 lanes to pass slower traffic, then realize at the last second they're going to be on 72 and then pull across 2 lanes in 50 feet to get back in the 84 lanes.   
I had a situation like that one on 84 WB in East Hartford.  I was doing about 70 about to get off at the exit for Downtown Hartford/Founders Bridge (Exit 54) for an interview.  This woman behind me is blaring her horn at me and tailgating me, as she proceeds to continue down 84 (bear in mind, this was in the middle of rush hour).  Don't blame me for the left exit!
Instagram | Clinched Map

RobbieL2415

There won't be much weaving for Exit 29 since CT 15 doesn't even join I-91. I-91 NB will gradually add two more lanes to the left.  There will be a crossover for traffic on CT 15 NB on the bridge since the extreme right lane will be only for Exit 90.

shadyjay

Quote from: ipeters61 on May 05, 2019, 09:11:37 PM
Isn't the problem with I-84 at US-7 that US-7 enters 84 on the right and then exits on the left? (in both directions)  Isn't that how they fixed I-84 at CT-72?  By at least ensuring that traffic staying on the same route number wouldn't have to switch lanes?

The main difference between the CT 72 and the US 7 jumping on I-84 in Plainville and Danbury, respectively, is that CT 72 only hitches a ride for 1/2 mile and US 7 hitches a ride on I-84 for about 3 miles or so.  That gives motorists plenty of time to make the proper lane changes to stay on US 7, even if it enters from the right and exits from the left (in both directions).  The main traffic delay in Danbury isn't caused by the fact that US 7 traffic is trying to merge, but rather the fact that one lane of I-84 is lost in the shuffle and I-84 thru traffic must use the right 2 lanes, while US 7 gets the far left lane, turning into 2 lanes at the gore point, or just slightly before.  Removing the left exits to have I-84 traffic stay left at these interchanges would require some pretty substantial flyovers.  The "easy" solution would be to add a lane on the right, giving I-84 thru traffic another thru lane, especially eastbound. 

The eastbound merge from US 7 south, which enters on the left, is another choke point, and just past Exit 8, the right lane of I-84 becomes a slow vehicle lane, which later ends.  A flyover from US 7 South to I-84 East to enter on the right side of I-84 would be preferred, then you won't have traffic entering I-84 East from US 7 South trying to cross over to Exit 8 in 1/4 mile. 

The whole route of I-84 from Danbury to Waterbury could definitely use another lane, no question about it.  Way too much truck traffic.  The climbing lanes help, but then when those big trucks merge back in to the main 2 lanes, it often comes before the crest of the hill, as some climbing lanes don't crest the top.  And its not just on I-84, some climbing lanes statewide stop short of their "summits".

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: shadyjay on May 06, 2019, 06:53:43 PM
Quote from: ipeters61 on May 05, 2019, 09:11:37 PM

The main difference between the CT 72 and the US 7 jumping on I-84 in Plainville and Danbury, respectively, is that CT 72 only hitches a ride for 1/2 mile and US 7 hitches a ride on I-84 for about 3 miles or so.  That gives motorists plenty of time to make the proper lane changes to stay on US 7, even if it enters from the right and exits from the left (in both directions).  The main traffic delay in Danbury isn't caused by the fact that US 7 traffic is trying to merge, but rather the fact that one lane of I-84 is lost in the shuffle and I-84 thru traffic must use the right 2 lanes, while US 7 gets the far left lane, turning into 2 lanes at the gore point, or just slightly before.  Removing the left exits to have I-84 traffic stay left at these interchanges would require some pretty substantial flyovers.  The "easy" solution would be to add a lane on the right, giving I-84 thru traffic another thru lane, especially eastbound. 

The eastbound merge from US 7 south, which enters on the left, is another choke point, and just past Exit 8, the right lane of I-84 becomes a slow vehicle lane, which later ends.  A flyover from US 7 South to I-84 East to enter on the right side of I-84 would be preferred, then you won't have traffic entering I-84 East from US 7 South trying to cross over to Exit 8 in 1/4 mile. 

The whole route of I-84 from Danbury to Waterbury could definitely use another lane, no question about it.  Way too much truck traffic.  The climbing lanes help, but then when those big trucks merge back in to the main 2 lanes, it often comes before the crest of the hill, as some climbing lanes don't crest the top.  And its not just on I-84, some climbing lanes statewide stop short of their "summits".

Unfortunately I can see I-91 still backing up as people merge left to exit on Exit 29, although most traffic will probably go left rather than stay onto I-91 north.  We shall see.

I noticed since I-84 WB was widened thru Waterbury, it now backs up at the Exit 22 on-ramp before CT-8 and it never did before.  The same with I-95 SB in Norwalk, Exit 15 was the choke point, it was widened and now the new choke point is Exit 13.

So I guess the point is, unless they do really large scale widening like the Q-Bridge there will be a backup somewhere.  What they're doing to I-91 is still better than nothing so I'll take it.

shadyjay

Interesting to wonder if I-86/I-491 had been built from CT 2 in Glastonbury up to I-84/I-384 in East Hartford/Manchester, and if it had been signed properly, and with proper upgrades to the Putnam Bridge and connections, it could have been a nice direct alternate route to I-84 East.

KEVIN_224

Pro-tolls lobbying group launches $900K advertising campaign

https://www.courant.com/politics/hc-pol-pro-tolls-lobbying-20190506-plxkouvajnaadoulu4d44imecm-story.html

Flashback to about 1991, to when the current Charter Oak Bridge (right with incomplete on-ramp from I-91 North) was close to opening. East Hartford is at the top. The ramp from the old bridge south to I-91 North is also gone now.

jp the roadgeek

Saw that pic yesterday on the Courant website.  Would love to see a pic of the old ramp from 91 South to the bridge NB.

Love how they spend $900k of taxpayer money on something that 90% of said taxpayers oppose :angry:

Got a shot of the new gantry I mentioned last week, along with the new EB 1/2 mile Exit 33 / 3/4 mile Exit 34 gantry.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.