News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

To Turn 18 In 26 Days!

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, October 03, 2017, 04:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

kkt

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

kkt

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Damn, another sabotaged thread...  :angry: :banghead: No hope.... :no:
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 19, 2017, 06:36:16 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on October 19, 2017, 06:33:47 PM
10 days! :bigass: :awesomeface:
Enjoy the rest of her childhood.

I'm sorry, but for god's sake please tell me that that was a typo (I think that if there is any doubt, you can click on a user's profile and it will usually list the gender of that said user).

:banghead:    :rofl:

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on October 19, 2017, 06:33:47 PM
10 days! :bigass: :awesomeface:

Happy early birthday, by the way, though!  :cheers:   :thumbsup:

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: roadguy2 on October 21, 2017, 10:32:20 AM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on October 04, 2017, 01:36:48 PM
Well, good thing I am just me! I was actually looking into registering to vote and the SSS today. I need a state ID made for voting though.

Does that mean you don't have a drivers license yet? For a member of this forum, I am shocked.
My dad talked me out of it, plus I don't have a job (damn it! It's tough getting a job in this shit-hole of Fort Smith) for the insurance, my sister bought a car for the trip between Fort Smith and Arkansas Tech. The insurance for just liability alone was $130/mo! So for now, until I need to go greater distances, I'll wait. I can use public transit or bike in less trafficed areas. I've been in the process of studying electronic maps of cities (through the Arkansas GIS Office), one of those maps is of Fort Smith.

jeffandnicole

Does that mean you don’t have a drivers license yet? For a member of this forum, I am shocked.

Several don't, especially those not of driving age yet.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 21, 2017, 12:41:19 PM
Does that mean you don't have a drivers license yet? For a member of this forum, I am shocked.

Getting a drivers' license for millennials isn't as much of a rite of passage as it was for those of generations past.  I know when I turned 16, I was jonesing to get mine.  Turned 16 in November, but I didn't get it till the next July, but back in those days, anyone who was 16 could drive with an adult who was licensed for a specific amount of time, so my mom let me drive all the time.   I probably drove at least 1000 miles before I got my license (that includes driving golf carts around my dad's business, plus my dad let me drive once when I was 14. ) 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 21, 2017, 01:51:19 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 21, 2017, 12:41:19 PM

Getting a drivers' license for millennials isn't as much of a rite of passage as it was for those of generations past.  I know when I turned 16, I was jonesing to get mine.  Turned 16 in November, but I didn't get it till the next July, but back in those days, anyone who was 16 could drive with an adult who was licensed for a specific amount of time, so my mom let me drive all the time.   I probably drove at least 1000 miles before I got my license (that includes driving golf carts around my dad's business, plus my dad let me drive once when I was 14. )
I never said it was due to me being a millennial, but rather due to expense nowadays. I'd be happy to have a car, but maybe once I get my finances figured out.

vdeane

Cost is, in fact, the main reason Millennials and the iGeneration both are less enthusiastic about cars.  Millennials came of age in the middle of the recession, and so often couldn't afford cars, then got used to just doing without them.  Both generations are affected by graduated licensing laws making driving less prestigious in high school as well (strangely, these laws usually are based by age and not driving experience, even though studies have shown that age is in no way related to teenage driving safety).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: vdeane on October 21, 2017, 06:16:01 PM
Cost is, in fact, the main reason Millennials and the iGeneration both are less enthusiastic about cars.  Millennials came of age in the middle of the recession, and so often couldn't afford cars, then got used to just doing without them.  Both generations are affected by graduated licensing laws making driving less prestigious in high school as well (strangely, these laws usually are based by age and not driving experience, even though studies have shown that age is in no way related to teenage driving safety).
With that I'd say the older the more reckless. But, even that depends (despite the sterio-type)

adventurernumber1

While not directed at me specifically, I thought I would note that despite the fact that I myself am turning 18 years old in less than a month, I have no driver's license. A few short years ago, I was driving with a permit, and I was doing good - but then, my mental illnesses started sharply getting worse, and eventually I was put on a tranquilizing medication (that also causes tremors and more), among other things. Needless to say, my driver's permit has expired long ago, and I am legally no longer able to drive in any way. In these times, the collective effects of all my mental and physical health issues make me personally practically unable to drive. As a younger person, I thought it would be unheard of for even some roadgeeks to have no driver's license (due to our interests and such), but now I know otherwise, especially from my own experience. You would be surprised at the number of us roadgeeks that actually don't happen to drive.

Anyway, what the hell happened to this thread? I've never seen a thread derail this fast without it being related to Alanland.

I'd say it began to derail when Roadgeekteen falsely implied in his confusing post that the OP is a female (which is not true).

:pan:

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

hotdogPi

I'm 18, and I don't have a driver's license either. I know the local bus system very well, though. In addition, the bus system is free for UMass Lowell students (and I am one).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 21, 2017, 09:54:16 PM
Does that mean you don’t have a drivers license yet? For a member of this forum, I am shocked.

While not directed at me specifically, I thought I would note that despite the fact that I myself am turning 18 years old in less than a month, I have no driver's license. A few short years ago, I was driving with a permit, and I was doing good - but then, my mental illnesses started sharply getting worse, and eventually I was put on a tranquilizing medication (that also causes tremors and more), among other things. Needless to say, my driver's permit has expired long ago, and I am legally no longer able to drive in any way. In these times, the collective effects of all my mental and physical health issues make me personally practically unable to drive. As a younger person, I thought it would be unheard of for even some roadgeeks to have no driver's license (due to our interests and such), but now I know otherwise, especially from my own experience. You would be surprised at the number of us roadgeeks that actually don't happen to drive.

Anyway, what the hell happened to this thread? I’ve never seen a thread derail this fast without it being related to Alanland.

I'd say it began to derail when Roadgeekteen falsely implied in his confusing post that the OP is a female (which is not true).

I love the way you put it! I could drive (I want to), but I substitute that with knowledge of how things are done within my state and maps. I have begun to make signs in Inkscape! To me, driving isn't to big of a deal because I ride shotgun all the time!

jp the roadgeek

In my town, you can't survive without a car.  The nearest rail service is at least 15-20 minutes away, and there is one bus per hour that has one stop in our town that makes a run to a regional transportation hub about 15 minutes away.  Our town doesn't even have its own cab service; Uber and Lyft have relieved that somewhat.  The rail service does offer connections to NYC, but getting to Boston by rail is almost impossible.  The rail service will eventually offer commuter service to Hartford, New Haven, and Springfield; but by the time you get to the station and wait for the train, you could drive to one of those places.  The nearest Greyhound terminal is also about 15 minutes away and requires taking the local bus to get there. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Roadgeekteen

Anyway, what the hell happened to this thread? I've never seen a thread derail this fast without it being related to Alanland.

I did?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 22, 2017, 05:56:47 PM

I did?

Reply #42.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on October 22, 2017, 07:42:20 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 22, 2017, 05:56:47 PM

I did?

Reply #42.
Oh god  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I suck.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 21, 2017, 10:43:41 PM
In my town, you can't survive without a car.  The nearest rail service is at least 15-20 minutes away, and there is one bus per hour that has one stop in our town that makes a run to a regional transportation hub about 15 minutes away.  Our town doesn't even have its own cab service; Uber and Lyft have relieved that somewhat.  The rail service does offer connections to NYC, but getting to Boston by rail is almost impossible.  The rail service will eventually offer commuter service to Hartford, New Haven, and Springfield; but by the time you get to the station and wait for the train, you could drive to one of those places.  The nearest Greyhound terminal is also about 15 minutes away and requires taking the local bus to get there. 

I guarantee, there are people in your town without a car, and they survive.  I've lived in a town without any public transportation at all, while my wife worked out of town, and I managed.  A bicycle, asking for rides, hitchhiking, your own two feet:  there are possibilities that most people don't really consider but are certainly possible.
Male pronouns, please.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: kphoger on October 23, 2017, 02:29:16 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 21, 2017, 10:43:41 PM

I guarantee, there are people in your town without a car, and they survive.  I've lived in a town without any public transportation at all, while my wife worked out of town, and I managed.  A bicycle, asking for rides, hitchhiking, your own two feet:  there are possibilities that most people don't really consider but are certainly possible.
I would agree, I have a commuter bike, that thing "could" go cross-country. So, I certainly have options outside of owning a car. But, it would most likely be cheaper owning a car rather than taking a taxi, to say Little Rock from Fort Smith. All-in-all, I do get around quite well! :bigass:

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: webny99 on October 23, 2017, 10:12:58 PM
Well, I turned 18 a few short months ago, and I'm surviving  :D
I assume the one major difference is that you're still in school, while I graduated at 17 this past June. Correct me if I'm wrong there. Anyways, I wouldn't stress too much. And cheers on being born in 1999, best year ever  :biggrin:

As the fourth person from my immediate age group (after 1, adventurenumber1, and the OP) to post to this thread, I'm... well, shocked, to say the least... that the others dont have drivers licenses. I got mine as soon as possible, but perhaps I'm underestimating the trend away from doing so. Still, I don't know what I'd do  without one now :wow:

So this thread has been an interesting eye opener!
The good thing about that year, I was able (as a child) to experience a lot of TV shows, like the A-Team BEFORE it's re-runs were taken off air. There were other cartoons BEFORE they got remade into shit like Teen Titans (The one well before 2012 (correct me if wrong)). But, you get the point! Also, movie were awesome, like Nemo! We watched that movie countless times! :awesomeface:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.