News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Niagara Falls why is the Canadian Side more lively than the US Side?

Started by roadman65, November 07, 2017, 08:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I always often wondered why Niagara Falls, NY does not put much into making its side of the Falls as much as its twin city across the gorge?

The two times I went as a grown up  was the Ontario side as the first was as a youngster when my parents visited the Falls from both the dinky dink observation tower that is not that tall compared to the Skylon Tower that rises way above the skyline of its city.  I thought then that NY could have built a tower more elaborate as Ontario had in its Skylon and then Panasonic Tower (as I believe the former latter is now a hotel and not offering public access anymore).  Though Niagara Falls, NY does have better views from the bottom via that small tower being the gateway to the Maid of The Mist and wooden walkway to the American Falls, and the Cave of the Winds Tour that has an interior elevator on Goat Island giving a walk to the bottom of the Bridal Veil and Horseshoe Falls.

True the Canadian side has a deck as part of Journey Behind The Falls to see the bottom of Horseshoe Falls, but not that elaborate as across the Falls. 

However, Niagara Falls, ON has more attractions and its gorge top is more lively than the other side as there is pretty much people everywhere and even more hotels than in NY.   I would figure that the City of Niagara Falls in NY would want to boost tourism as well as its international neighbor, but even a late friend who once lived in Amhurst, NY said that Niagara Falls, NY is a bad case of not only living up to its true potential but over 70 % of that city in poverty as well.   

What is really up with that city and why it offers way less than its Canadian counterpart.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

renegade

Because you can see the Falls better from the Ontario side.  You're standing in front of them on the Canadian side ... you're standing alongside them on the U.S. side.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

nexus73

I was going to say the Canadians were getting more eyeballs thanks to free Molson beer...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: renegade on November 07, 2017, 10:10:04 PM
Because you can see the Falls better from the Ontario side.  You're standing in front of them on the Canadian side ... you're standing alongside them on the U.S. side.

Even the view from the Rainbow Bridge isn't as good as the Canadian side.

ghYHZ

Even with the "˜gaudy' tourist attractions(Clifton Hill) the Canadian side still has miles of Parkway and Gardens adjacent to and providing easy pedestrian access to the Falls, River and Gorge.

On the US side...a blighted downtown and a freeway along the river and gorge cutting off access other than in the State Park immediately adjacent to the Rainbow Bridge, Tower and the American Falls.

kalvado

we had some discussion of NF here: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=20255.25
An interesting mention about NF US side being ruined in 50s, and state park established after that. And interestingly enough, some folks apparently prefer US way of doing things  :rolleyes:

kalvado

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 07, 2017, 11:09:46 PM
Quote from: renegade on November 07, 2017, 10:10:04 PM

Even the view from the Rainbow Bridge isn't as good as the Canadian side.
Advantage of US side is being able to walk to those islands. Shared advanced view - boat to the walls (flying Canadian flag, departures on both sides, arrival to the same side as departure).

SectorZ

I've been to Niagara Falls, ON 3 times in my life. My only time spent on the NY side was to drive thru it to get to Canada. It looks like a dump on the NY side, and that's not even relative to the Ontario side, it's bleh on its own. I'll just drive 8 miles to Lawrence MA if I want to see that stuff.

GenExpwy

Quote from: kalvado on November 08, 2017, 08:08:00 AM
An interesting mention about NF US side being ruined in 50s, and state park established after that

The Niagara Reservation State Park was established in 1885, and is considered the oldest state park in the USA.

vdeane

Even with "everybody" going to the Canadian side, Niagara Falls is still the second most visited state park in NY (between Jones Beach and Walkway over the Hudson).  And to address a point from the other thread, there is a restaurant in the park (on Goat Island).  Sure, it's on the expensive side, but what do you expect?  ANY restaurant on-site at a park, museum, building, whatever is going to be expensive, and that's without the view of the falls.

I don't know about other people, but if I'm going to see the falls, I'm going to see the falls.  Not resorts.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jemacedo9

In my 10 years in Rochester, I went to the falls probably 30 times or so.  I only drove over to the Canadian side twice, but walked over via the Rainbow Bridge several times.  Being a relative local, who does scenic photography on the side, and was interested in the falls as day trips...I found the park aspect of both sides to be pretty equal.  The Canadian side has some benefits, and the US side has some different benefits.

But if I were spending more than a day trip, and wanted accommodations that included a decent meal - the Canadian side is far superior to the US side.

One of the two times I drove over was to visit my sister and her family on their vacation.  From a kids standpoint...again, the Canadian side is far superior.

BTW - the Falls in the winter, particularly some of the very cold winters in '13 and '14 when the falls had heavy ice...is incredible.

cl94

View is a major reason. Much better from the Canadian side. It's a lot easier for international visitors to get to the Canadian side, as Toronto is at least one fewer flight than Buffalo, and a lot of tourists just combine the Falls with a trip to Toronto. Niagara Falls, NY is also one of the more corrupt cities in the country, which stops many redevelopment plans.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman65

Quote from: SectorZ on November 08, 2017, 08:40:24 AM
I've been to Niagara Falls, ON 3 times in my life. My only time spent on the NY side was to drive thru it to get to Canada. It looks like a dump on the NY side, and that's not even relative to the Ontario side, it's bleh on its own. I'll just drive 8 miles to Lawrence MA if I want to see that stuff.
That is my point.  Its a dump compared to Ontario.  Yes I went there twice as a grown up cause the view is better there and its more welcome than the typical urban city that Niagara Falls, NY is.

However, I would figure that someone in NY would try to redevelop the water front area at least and do some work in the city.  My friend from Amhurst says that Niagara Falls, NY needs a lot of improvement and has poverty big time.  I am not saying build a tower like Skylon, but that one tower over the gorge is not that attractive.  In fact GSV shows they covered the outside with sheet metal which seems odd as the elevators had glass windows for you to see the falls while riding up.  Granted from the street level to the 3rd Floor the back window did not see anything as the top part of the tower prevented it from offering the view, but the side windows looking at both cities skylines were unobstructed and at night the elevator operator turned out the lights for better viewing.

I would think that they would try to improve something great that they indeed have.  Even though they look at the falls from the side due to the bend in the river, it still could have potential.   Though I must admit the removal of the never used parkway is a step.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

RobbieL2415

kphoger

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on January 04, 2018, 05:05:54 PM
Niagra Falls, NY, has a drug problem IIRC.

That could go either way...  Might draw more people...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

I imagine much of the "liveliness" has to do with the fact that Americans can drink in Niagara Falls, ON starting at age 19, and there are quite a few colleges and universities within a few hours' drive (not counting delays at the border).

kalvado

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 05, 2018, 11:03:53 AM
I imagine much of the "liveliness" has to do with the fact that Americans can drink in Niagara Falls, ON starting at age 19, and there are quite a few colleges and universities within a few hours' drive (not counting delays at the border).
Don't think so. More like people on US side know very well what shouldn't be done - but having little idea of what to do.
When I was there last time, the only concession in certain park area was a truck selling $3 bottles of water. Weather was 85 F and sun.
I assume other things were not permitted in the area... Well, a few bottles they sold probably made a decent profit for those guys...

westerninterloper

Perhaps also because NF NY is practically a superfund site. The early industries were completely unregulated and left disasters of pollution that still remains to be cleaned up, and even detected in some cases. This is a persistent problem across the Snow Belt.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

RobbieL2415

Quote from: westerninterloper on January 05, 2018, 11:18:38 AM
Perhaps also because NF NY is practically a superfund site. The early industries were completely unregulated and left disasters of pollution that still remains to be cleaned up, and even detected in some cases. This is a persistent problem across the Snow Belt.
Griffiss AFB in Rome is another such site.

kalvado

Quote from: westerninterloper on January 05, 2018, 11:18:38 AM
Doesn't matter that much for tourists. Someone mentioned NF is second most visited park in NY... It can very well be first one in the world...

Jim

Way too late for it to happen now, but I'd enjoy NF on the Canadian side much more if there was a large provincial or national park there instead of the tourist mess they have.  The view is obviously best from Canada, but give me the state park on the American side anyway.  Then again, I'd rather spend some time at a mostly-empty national seashore than some crowded beach with a boardwalk full of tourist shops and a pier with amusement rides.

I've done the Cave of the Winds tour in the state park and it's my favorite NF attraction.  Is there access to the base of the falls anywhere near that close on the Canadian side?
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

kalvado

Quote from: Jim on January 05, 2018, 01:11:16 PM
Way too late for it to happen now, but I'd enjoy NF on the Canadian side much more if there was a large provincial or national park there instead of the tourist mess they have.  The view is obviously best from Canada, but give me the state park on the American side anyway.  Then again, I'd rather spend some time at a mostly-empty national seashore than some crowded beach with a boardwalk full of tourist shops and a pier with amusement rides.

I've done the Cave of the Winds tour in the state park and it's my favorite NF attraction.  Is there access to the base of the falls anywhere near that close on the Canadian side?
There is something similar on canadian side - but a bit more restrictive.
"Behind the falls" includes walk through tunnel and view through falling water; plus a lower observation area
Some images are here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g154998-d286825-i138484384-Journey_Behind_the_Falls-Niagara_Falls_Ontario.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.