News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite city skylines

Started by golden eagle, May 25, 2010, 10:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

I like Atlanta's skyline. I love the fact that on clear days, you can see the skyline from the hill near Six Flags on I-20. I've also seen downtown Atlanta from the I-85 area around Duluth, a good 20 miles or more away.

I also like Chicago's as well. Actually, who doesn't. I'm also impressed that it can be seen from the far south side of the city.

Out of curiosity, how far out can you see other skylines while driving?

bugo

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  Especially at night headed out of the Fort Pitt Tunnel.  An unparalleled view of a city.

BigMattFromTexas

I like Houston's, Austin's, and San Antonio's. I'm not a big fan of Dallas's. I also like Kansas City's and then theres Chicago, Los Angeles, and Miami. I don't really like New York's. Dubai is getting a large skyline. San Antonio's is growing, I've seen changes since I first went to SA (at least that I remember), I watched them build the grand Hyatt downtown, and I saw them building another high-rise outside of my hotel balcony. I've pretty much always been interested in skylines, and I used to (and still do) draw skylines.
BigMatt

huskeroadgeek

Chicago's would have to be my favorite. It's hard to beat the city that produced the world's first skyscraper. The Sears Tower(I refuse to call it by its current name) and the John Hancock Center provide distinctive buildings to anchor different parts of the skyline. One of my favorites among somewhat smaller cities is Kansas City, which has a nice mix of older and newer buildings. Cincinnati's is also like that, and another thing I like about Cincinnnati is the approach from the south on I-71/I-75 in Kentucky where you come over a hill and the whole skyline suddenly appears in front of you.

It's generally harder to see skylines on flat terrain from more than about 20-25 miles because of the curvature of the earth, but if you happen to be on a hill or mountain, it's possible to see them from further away, although it can be hard to identify what you are looking at. For instance, the skyline of Denver could theoretically be seen from the top of Mt. Evans, since Mt. Evans can be seen from downtown Denver, but it's so far away that it would be hard to really identify what you are looking at even if you know where to look.

golden eagle

I've always wondered about seeing cities like Denver and Colorado Springs from the mountains.

You can also see New Orleans' skyline from quite a distance, particularly coming from the west on I-10. But you are talking about a city below sea level, so that shouldn't be too hard to see.

There's a rural area not too far from where my mom lives and if you hit the right spot, you can see downtown Jackson. It's at least ten miles away,  as the crow flies. It's not like Jackson has an impressive skyline.

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: golden eagle on May 25, 2010, 10:41:03 PM
I've always wondered about seeing cities like Denver and Colorado Springs from the mountains.

You can also see New Orleans' skyline from quite a distance, particularly coming from the west on I-10. But you are talking about a city below sea level, so that shouldn't be too hard to see.

There's a rural area not too far from where my mom lives and if you hit the right spot, you can see downtown Jackson. It's at least ten miles away,  as the crow flies. It's not like Jackson has an impressive skyline.
Colorado Springs's skyline is easier to see from the mountains because the mountains(such as Pikes Peak) are closer to the city than they are to Denver. Colorado Springs has a pretty low skyline with few distinct buildings though, so there isn't a whole lot to see in terms of a skyline. There are some lower mountains closer to Denver like Lookout Mountain outside of Golden where the Denver skyline can be more easily viewed than from the taller peaks.

If I remember correctly, the New Orleans skyline can barely be seen from the other side of Lake Pontchartrain. Unfortunately, the 1 time I've been on the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, I was on it going NB, but I imagine going SB that's a pretty impressive approach as the skyline gets closer and closer with nothing to block your view.

agentsteel53

a building 1000 feet tall should be visible about 40 miles away, assuming a perfectly clear atmosphere.  However, the atmosphere does refract light some, and therefore objects that should be below the horizon occasionally end up visible.  I've seen Mount Shasta from Sacramento - about 210 miles, despite the fact that 140 miles is how far before it actually dips below the horizon.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on May 25, 2010, 10:56:08 PM

There's a rural area not too far from where my mom lives and if you hit the right spot, you can see downtown Jackson. It's at least ten miles away,  as the crow flies. It's not like Jackson has an impressive skyline.
Colorado Springs's skyline is easier to see from the mountains because the mountains(such as Pikes Peak) are closer to the city than they are to Denver. Colorado Springs has a pretty low skyline with few distinct buildings though, so there isn't a whole lot to see in terms of a skyline. There are some lower mountains closer to Denver like Lookout Mountain outside of Golden where the Denver skyline can be more easily viewed than from the taller peaks.

If I remember correctly, the New Orleans skyline can barely be seen from the other side of Lake Pontchartrain. Unfortunately, the 1 time I've been on the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, I was on it going NB, but I imagine going SB that's a pretty impressive approach as the skyline gets closer and closer with nothing to block your view.
Coming east on I-10, between I-55 and I-310, you can see buildings out beyond Lake Pontchartrain.  I think it's the Metarie skyline (lol) instead of New Orleans proper however.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

SSOWorld

Quote from: bugo on May 25, 2010, 10:22:56 PM
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  Especially at night headed out of the Fort Pitt Tunnel.  An unparalleled view of a city.
Bam!  You nailed it. (one of the highlights of my long roadgeeking trip of last year)
Quote from: osu-lsu on May 25, 2010, 11:28:11 PM

Coming east on I-10, between I-55 and I-310, you can see buildings out beyond Lake Pontchartrain.  I think it's the Metarie skyline (lol) instead of New Orleans proper however.
Sacramento can be seen for at least 10-15 miles in most directions - and the Bay area - San Francisco, Oakland AND San Jose from ANY of the bridges - even the Dumbarton. (well maybe not SJ or OAK from I-580 bridge)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

realjd

I'm probably a bit biased since I was born there and have family there, but Dallas has always had one of my favorites, particularly at night:

(shamelessly hotlinked)

Also, Miami's has gotten HUGE in the past few years!

SSOWorld

Chicago first, then San Francisco.

I've done plenty of driving into Chicago to appreciate it from all angles (Kennedy, Ike, Ryan, Stevensen AND LSD) and my most recent warm feeling I got while there was it feeling like it was "so small" while standing on the Lakefront off Grant Park watching the Taste of Chicago sponsored fireworks display last July 3.  I kept looking around and it felt like my own back yard from my youth days was surrounding me - but then I realize as I walk back to the loop to catch the blue line L back to my car, that its not that small.  NOTE: I'll likely be rinsing and repeating that this year - but this time checking into a hotel instead of driving home that night.  So I'm finding a reasonably price place near the L Cumberland station or otherwise - then I won't risk falling asleep at the wheel.  I just hope there is no rowdiness again this year (last year was pretty good as far as security was concerned, nothing out-of-the-ordinary.)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Scott5114

Quote from: Master son on May 26, 2010, 12:49:39 PM
I've done plenty of driving into Chicago to appreciate it from all angles (Kennedy, Ike, Ryan, Stevensen AND LSD)

You've driven into Chicago using LSD? Boy, I bet that gives one strange angle to the city.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 26, 2010, 05:31:51 PM
I've done plenty of driving into Chicago to appreciate it from all angles (Kennedy, Ike, Ryan, Stevensen AND LSD)

You've driven into Chicago using LSD? Boy, I bet that gives one strange angle to the city.

Don't knock it untill you try it. :-D
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Brandon

Quote from: osu-lsu on May 27, 2010, 12:26:02 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 26, 2010, 05:31:51 PM

Don't knock it untill you try it. :-D

Depends on if one starts way up north at Hollywood. ;-)
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

yanksfan6129

No love for NYC? Sorry, but I love New York...I'm a New York boy and that city is my true home. Definitely the most amazing skyline in the world.

jgb191

Houston, Texas without a doubt is my favorite.....would have had an even better skyline if it weren't for the economic crash in the 1980's.  With its newest skyscraper, Austin is now emerging with a good skyline.  My home town of Corpus Christi is pretty impressive for a city of its size.

Other good ones I've seen in person are Los Angeles, Atlanta, Miami, and Dallas.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

golden eagle

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on May 27, 2010, 08:35:47 PM
No love for NYC? Sorry, but I love New York...I'm a New York boy and that city is my true home. Definitely the most amazing skyline in the world.

I think New York's goes without saying. I've never been there but I hope to see it someday. BTW, how far out from New York can you see the skyline?

bugo

A different kind of skyline is found in Milwaukee.  There are no skyscrapers, just small buildings and church steeples.  Driving through Milwaukee was almost a shock for me after driving through Chicago just a few miles back.

brownpelican

On a good day, you can see it about two miles from Mandeville. You could also see it at the top of the hump on Twin Span in the afternoon and evening. However, you won't see it again until the Bullard Rd/Read Blvd exits

I like seeing Charlotte's skyline coming in from the east on Independence Blvd.

Seeing San Francisco's skyline coming out of the Yerba Buena tunnel on I-80 is cool too.

[Removed unnecessary markup. -S.]

rawmustard

Quote from: bugo on May 28, 2010, 02:41:53 AM
A different kind of skyline is found in Milwaukee.  There are no skyscrapers, just small buildings and church steeples.  Driving through Milwaukee was almost a shock for me after driving through Chicago just a few miles back.

Milwaukee has a few skyscrapers, but otherwise is definitely understated when compared to Chicago. The skyline is visible from some of the southern neighborhood lakeshore spots, as can be seen here.

yanksfan6129

Quote from: golden eagle on May 27, 2010, 11:32:06 PM
Quote from: yanksfan6129 on May 27, 2010, 08:35:47 PM

I think New York's goes without saying. I've never been there but I hope to see it someday. BTW, how far out from New York can you see the skyline?

Off the top of my head, the farthest place you can see it from New Jersey is on State Route 3 around the Clifton/Nutley area, which is about 10 miles away. I don't know; you probably can see it from other places that I'm not thinking of.

When they do the tribute in light thing for the World Trade Center, I can see that from my house about 25 miles outside of the city.

BigMattFromTexas

New York City is (in my opinion) over-rated, I'm not a huge fan of it, but I do like how NYC has old and new skyscrapers. L.A. has a nice skyline too, El Paso is kinda lacking, they need to step it up. Austin's is growing fast, a lot of it if residential buildings. Dallas looks good at night, it's nice in the day too, but there's something about that argon green on Bank of America Plaza, and the white of Reunion Tower. I especially like J.P. Morgan-Chase Tower in Houston. I've stayed at the Marriott River Center in San Antonio. I want to go to Chicago to see the skyline in person. As for smaller towns, I like Midland's skyline, it can be seen from about 20-25 miles from Midland, The bad thing about downtown Midland is that pretty much as soon as you get to Midland from Texas 158, downtowns like right there. I also like OKC and Kansas City, KS. Des Moines, IA is OK. Rochester, MN has a pretty good number of taller buildings for being such a small town. Angelo's is pretty much pathetic, the tallest building here is the Cactus Hotel which is 14 stories, the next tallest is Beauregard Tower at 10 stories. Odessa is kinda washed up and dead.
BigMatt

agentsteel53

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on May 28, 2010, 02:57:59 PMBTW, how far out from New York can you see the skyline?

drive 40 miles in your aquacar...  :sombrero:
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

golden eagle

Can the New York skyline be seen from Connecticut?

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: golden eagle on May 28, 2010, 03:36:48 PM
Can the New York skyline be seen from Connecticut?
Not from I-95, at least from what I remember. And since that's about as close as you can get to it in CT, I'm guessing there probably aren't any other places where you can see it either. A really good place to see it is along the northern 10 miles or so of the New Jersey Turnpike-the entire skyline spreads out to the east with little to block the view.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.