News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

Massachusetts regulatory speed limits generally leave a lot to be desired. Whereas advisory signs would suffice, there was a road I was on that jumped around so many times that even Waze wasn't able to keep up with. 50 MPH down to 35 MPH? And 15 MPH around a curve? And then to 50 MPH only to drop to 30 MPH? And all without any of the required "Speed Limit XX Ahead" (and related) signs - so those abrupt drops in speed were instantaneous and sometimes enforced.

cl94

Quote from: seicer on February 26, 2018, 03:48:22 PM
Massachusetts regulatory speed limits generally leave a lot to be desired. Whereas advisory signs would suffice, there was a road I was on that jumped around so many times that even Waze wasn't able to keep up with. 50 MPH down to 35 MPH? And 15 MPH around a curve? And then to 50 MPH only to drop to 30 MPH? And all without any of the required "Speed Limit XX Ahead" (and related) signs - so those abrupt drops in speed were instantaneous and sometimes enforced.

The enforcement is precisely why it jumps around so much. Someone on here mentioned that they started doing that because somebody fought a ticket they got for exceeding the advisory speed but not the speed limit. So now the state just doesn't do advisory speeds, allowing them to ticket for exceeding what would otherwise be an advisory speed.. Is it annoying? It sure as hell is! MA 2 between the NY line and I-91 has a new speed limit almost every mile. And some of those drops are over 15 MPH with no warning.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

Quote from: seicer on February 26, 2018, 02:03:04 PM
Quote from: cl94 on February 26, 2018, 10:16:38 AM
New York generally won't sign an advisory speed below 60 MPH on a 65 MPH road outside of an interchange. They won't. Suggesting otherwise strays into fictional territory.

What I did was compare what other states do to New York and voiced my displeasure. So who cares about what you believe? That would run against the purpose of a forum - to exchange new ideas, to voice opinions, and to gather new insights? Fin.
Who cares what you believe? Oh, wait, that's insulting. Do not insult other users.

seicer

What is the purpose of this tunnel entrance along the south side of I-95 at Exit 2 under Amsterdam Avenue and West 178 Street?

J N Winkler

Steve Anderson has the details:

http://www.nycroads.com/roads/trans-manhattan/

Apparently the two tunnels (there is another at 179th St.) were built as bridge accesses prior to construction of the Trans-Manhattan Expressway.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

BamaZeus

I believe the tunnels in question are on this old video from the 40's of a GWB crossing.  It starts about the 1:38 mark going westbound toward NJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2gWRcqmbrU

seicer

Now that's pretty awesome. I passed by them last week - now it makes me wonder how accessible they are :)

storm2k

Quote from: BamaZeus on February 27, 2018, 11:21:29 AM
I believe the tunnels in question are on this old video from the 40's of a GWB crossing.  It starts about the 1:38 mark going westbound toward NJ.

Great video! Too bad there wasn't a complete ride that didn't have a break into the tunnel part, but neat to see. Also crazy to see two-way tolling on the Bridge.

J N Winkler

Steve Anderson's site says the Port Authority uses the tunnels as storage depots.  They are not suitable for use by traffic since the ventilation stacks have been removed.  The BAN MIS (executive summary still online; full study never placed online because few agencies were doing that back in 2004) mentioned the possibility of repurposing them to provide added capacity along the TME.  I am not sure how recently Anderson's site has been updated, but in the last decade the AHB has undergone major rehabilitation without the tunnels being pressed back into service, so I suspect those ideas have died.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

cl94

I'm not convinced Anderson's site has been updated in 15 years. A lot of that info is OLD.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

empirestate

Quote from: BamaZeus on February 27, 2018, 11:21:29 AM

And here's the topo map from that period, showing the same configuration. Note that it's only the 178th Street tunnel that's in use; it carries two-way traffic to and from the Harlem River Drive.

https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/img4/ht_icons/Browse/NY/NY_Central%20Park_122894_1947_24000.jpg

D-Dey65

Quote from: cl94 on February 27, 2018, 11:49:32 AM
I'm not convinced Anderson's site has been updated in 15 years. A lot of that info is OLD.
I'd say 10 years, but it's still a shame either way.

RobbieL2415

They must be set that way so they can enforce them under actual speeding statues versus the basic speed law.  MA also has weird laws concerning authority to set speed limits.  In some cases local municipalities can set their own speed limits on SRs.

D-Dey65

Quote from: seicer on February 12, 2018, 10:37:14 AM
I said "generally only accessible by automobile." Unless you live near the LIRR (which has a bus connection to Jones and Long - and I think another?), it's an extensive venture just to get down there.

While Moses didn't -create- the slums, he helped turn what were working class neighborhoods and ghettos (minority heavy area) into derelict districts.
Again, I cite Throgs Neck, which also had the Cross Bronx built through it, and remained a working class neighborhood.

New topic; Does this map deceive me, or was there once an NY 276 along County Line Road between NY 27 and Merrick Road decades ago?

http://www.nycroads.com/history/1941_metro-6/

Roadgeek Adam

Carmans Mill Road. This is known, but for Wikipedia purposes, we're still working out the details.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

SignBridge

Might be 27A, not 276. Maybe it's a typo on that map?

SectorZ

Quote from: SignBridge on March 06, 2018, 08:21:25 PM

I think the map definitely says 276, especially since all the alphanumeric route numbers have the letter stacked under the number. Don't have any idea if it's correct, but my eyes see the same thing.

SignBridge

I saw it too, but I think it's a mistake or a typo.

cl94

Quote from: SignBridge on March 06, 2018, 08:38:17 PM
I saw it too, but I think it's a mistake or a typo.

Not necessarily a typo. On multiple maps.

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 06, 2018, 12:27:30 PM
Carmans Mill Road. This is known, but for Wikipedia purposes, we're still working out the details.

Buffaboy

Why, with AADT of 15k, is Alternative 2 a good idea here?

What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

cl94

They've already settled on a diet, IINM. It's happening.

froggie

Quote from: BuffaboyWhy, with AADT of 15k, is Alternative 2 a good idea here?

Because, depending on side street/driveway frequency, you can have adequate operations for a 3-lane urban section up to a traffic level of around 20K vpd.  And that stretch of Route 20 does not have a whole lot of such frequency.

roadman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on February 27, 2018, 11:45:07 PM
They must be set that way so they can enforce them under actual speeding statues versus the basic speed law.  MA also has weird laws concerning authority to set speed limits.  In some cases local municipalities can set their own speed limits on SRs.

It has largely to do with the Massachusetts system of what I call "musical jurisdiction."  In short, a state (or US) number on a secondary roadway in Massachusetts does not automatically mean it's under state jurisdiction.  Many secondary numbered routes, even in isolated rural areas, are under local jurisdiction, and not MassDOT.   

In general, a posted regulatory speed limit, regardless of the jurisdiction of the road, must be reviewed by MassDOT and approved by both MassDOT and the Registry of Motor Vehicles - it's known as a special speed regulation (SSR).  The principal exception to this, which was recently enacted into law by the Legislature, is that a city or town can establish a city or town wide prima facie speed limit of 25 mph that applies to all local road within their jurisdiction that are not otherwise posted under a SSR.  As a condition of posting a blanket speed limit under this law, the city or town must install signs at the borders informing drivers of this blanket speed limit.  No MassDOT approval is required to adopt this regulation, however, MassDOT must be informed by the city or town that the regulation is in place.

A good summary of current Massachusetts speed regulations and speed zoning practices can be found at:

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/Departments/TrafficandSafetyEngineering/SpeedLimits/FrequentlyAskedQuestions.aspx

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on March 09, 2018, 06:51:38 PM
Quote from: BuffaboyWhy, with AADT of 15k, is Alternative 2 a good idea here?
Because, depending on side street/driveway frequency, you can have adequate operations for a 3-lane urban section up to a traffic level of around 20K vpd.  And that stretch of Route 20 does not have a whole lot of such frequency.

Where is it, is it a local arterial?  If it is and it has a low large truck percentage, then that could be an appropriate design.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

dgolub

Quote from: SectorZ on March 06, 2018, 08:34:02 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on March 06, 2018, 08:21:25 PM

I think the map definitely says 276, especially since all the alphanumeric route numbers have the letter stacked under the number. Don't have any idea if it's correct, but my eyes see the same thing.

My understanding is that it was the designation of Carman Mill Road back when NY 27A used to extend down Merrick Road to Rockville Centre (and even earlier into Queens and Brooklyn to the Williamsburg Bridge!).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.