News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Historic stoplight capital of the world ?

Started by US71, December 20, 2018, 09:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Pensacola News Journal suggests Greenwood, Mississippi is the Historic stoplight capital of the world.

They DO have quite a few and I've managed to photograph at least half of these, but I probably need to go back and see if they've added any more. Canton, Mississippi also has a few. Greenwood also has/had the last colored shields for US49E and US82.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

index

I wonder if there are any other towns retrofitting their existing vintage assemblies or refurbishing and adding new ones. Does anyone know?

It would certainly seem like a good addition to historic downtowns across the country, I'd really like to see more of this. Especially with all the downtown revitalizations you've been seeing across the country.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

US71

Quote from: index on December 20, 2018, 12:26:05 PM
I wonder if there are any other towns retrofitting their existing vintage assemblies or refurbishing and adding new ones. Does anyone know?

It would certainly seem like a good addition to historic downtowns across the country, I'd really like to see more of this. Especially with all the downtown revitalizations you've been seeing across the country.

There are a couple in Denison, Texas, but have been relegated to 4-way flashers. Miami, OK still has a few, or did the last time I was there.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

allniter89

Kokomo, IN before they built the US 31 bypass.
US 41 north of Chicago.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Brian556

Flint1979

Flint, Michigan has some traffic lights that look like they haven't been touched since the 1950's. Some of the old ones have been replaced though.

traffic light guy

There is a city in northern Jersey that has a 4-way signal at every other intersection, I might vacation there one day and bring my camera

SSR_317

Quote from: allniter89 on December 20, 2018, 08:04:29 PM
Kokomo, IN before they built the US 31 bypass.
US 41 north of Chicago.
Re: Kokomo - I believe you mean the SECOND US 31 Bypass (freeway). The first was the route that ended up with so many stoplights (now Indiana SR 931).

Roadrunner75

Quote from: traffic light guy on December 23, 2018, 09:06:13 PM
There is a city in northern Jersey that has a 4-way signal at every other intersection, I might vacation there one day and bring my camera
That sounds like Washington St. in Hoboken, although I believe they are now finally replacing them.

dvferyance

I would say Madison has a lot of really old stoplights.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.