News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Speed limits on non interstates

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 29, 2018, 10:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: Brandon on January 10, 2019, 09:51:57 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on January 03, 2019, 05:59:33 PM
Highest speeds in Michigan are 75 but it doesn't matter if it's an Interstate but rather if it's a freeway. There are several freeways in Michigan that aren't Interstate highways like M-10 which is the Lodge Freeway or M-39 which is the Southfield Freeway both in Detroit or M-6 on the South Beltline of Grand Rapids. A two lane US or state highway most of the time will be 55 mph, there are some that are 65 mph though, closest example to me is US-127 between Ithaca and St. Johns. If a freeway isn't 70 mph it'll probably be 55 mph.

Even those 55 mph sections are very short in length, and mostly confined to the areas near downtown Detroit.  IIRC, it's I-94 from about Greenfield to 9 Mile, I-96 east of the Ford, I-75 from the Rouge to the Ford, M-10 from 8 Mile on in, I-375 (of course), the Davison, and the Southfield.  That said, the 55 mph limit is widely ignored.
That's about it. I'm one of the drivers that ignore the 55 mph speed limits on the Interstate's. Detroit isn't the kind of metro area you want to be doing the speed limit on the freeways when most people are going 80 or even faster.

Pink Jazz

In Arizona no non-Interstate highways are posted above 65 mph, since I think speed limits above 65 mph are only allowed on Interstates in Arizona.  Considering that New Mexico posts some divided highways at 70 mph (with two at 75 mph), I don't know why Arizona won't allow higher speed limits on these roads.

roadfro

Nevada law makes no distinction about the type of road in speed limit laws. The maximum statutory speed limit in the state is 80mph.

Non-interstate freeways are posted at 65mph (note that these are all in mostly urban areas).
Expressway segments are usually 45mph or 55mph.
Arterial roads in urban areas top out at 50mph, but 45mph and 35mph are the most commonly posted.
Rural two-lane highways top out at 70mph. Most rural US highways are posted at 70mph, with two-lane state highways most commonly being posted anywhere from 55mph to 70mph.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Flint1979

Quote from: Pink Jazz on January 10, 2019, 06:10:42 PM
In Arizona no non-Interstate highways are posted above 65 mph, since I think speed limits above 65 mph are only allowed on Interstates in Arizona.  Considering that New Mexico posts some divided highways at 70 mph (with two at 75 mph), I don't know why Arizona won't allow higher speed limits on these roads.
You would seriously think that Arizona would be a state that'd have 75 mph like New Mexico and Texas.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 11, 2019, 11:23:06 AM
You would seriously think that Arizona would be a state that'd have 75 mph like New Mexico and Texas.
New Mexico only has 75 on one non freeway and it's a flat 4 lane expressway.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 11, 2019, 12:41:11 PM
New Mexico only has 75 on one non freeway and it's a flat 4 lane expressway.

Actually, US 285 between Roswell and Vaughn was recently increased to 75 mph.

kphoger

Oh gosh, I still remember when both Arizona and New Mexico increased their Interstate speed limits to 75 but kept their surface road speed limits at 55.  Hated it!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Compared to New Mexico, Arizona has a dearth of expressway to begin with, and much of it is in mountainous areas with curves (e.g. SR 68, SR 260) or has enough adjacent development to create a fair amount of side-road traffic (e.g., SR 85).  I have no appetite for expressway speeds above 65 in Arizona.

Personally, I am also happy for California to restrict 70 to the crème de la crème of its rural freeways in terms of alignment, such as the Empty Quarter section of I-40.  I actually feel 70 is too fast for much of SR 99.  As for I-80 Truckee-Auburn with the 5% grade and the sidehill viaducts--no.  Just no.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jakeroot

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 11, 2019, 02:30:08 PM
I actually feel 70 is too fast for much of SR 99.

My personal observation, driving the road last fall (between Sacramento and Stockton) was that most cars were going above 70, with many going well above 80. I felt comfortable in our 2013 Toyota Sienna at around 75, but we were also loaded down. By myself in my Golf, I'd have been happy at 80 or more.

J N Winkler

I drove SR 99 between SR 198 (Visalia) and Bakersfield at night in September 2014.  This is a Central Valley segment well south of Stockton.  The issue with 70 here, as I see it, is that the alignment basically follows a railroad line with occasional lateral deviations to accommodate interchange ramps.  The straight parts that run perfectly parallel to the rails are fine; the problems are caused by the horizontal curves connecting to offset segments, which are so short and sharp as to be especially noticeable at night to an unfamiliar driver relying on headlamp illumination.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

sprjus4

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 11, 2019, 04:58:03 PM
I drove SR 99 between SR 198 (Visalia) and Bakersfield at night in September 2014.  This is a Central Valley segment well south of Stockton.  The issue with 70 here, as I see it, is that the alignment basically follows a railroad line with occasional lateral deviations to accommodate interchange ramps.  The straight parts that run perfectly parallel to the rails are fine; the problems are caused by the horizontal curves connecting to offset segments, which are so short and sharp as to be especially noticeable at night to an unfamiliar driver relying on headlamp illumination.
On a trip to California in the past year, I drove CA-99 between I-5 and Merced at night, first time for me, and I was comfortable on the highway at 75-80 MPH even on those curves. I'm not a local though, so I can't say too much. I'm just trying to point out I had no issues with it being an unfamiliar driver.

Bitmapped

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 10, 2019, 09:18:49 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 10, 2019, 08:51:44 AMPennsylvania Route 43 has some 70-mph segments and is not an Interstate.
Are those segments along the PA Turnpike-owned stretches?  IIRC, aside from temporary-work zone posted speeds; the speed limits for the PA Turnpike (PTC) system highways are either 70 or 55.

Yes, the 70mph stretches of PA 43 are owned by PTC. The speed limit drops to 65 (and then 55) on the PennDOT-owned portion between Big Six Road and US 40.

Roadsguy

Quote from: Bitmapped on January 12, 2019, 01:04:58 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 10, 2019, 09:18:49 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 10, 2019, 08:51:44 AMPennsylvania Route 43 has some 70-mph segments and is not an Interstate.
Are those segments along the PA Turnpike-owned stretches?  IIRC, aside from temporary-work zone posted speeds; the speed limits for the PA Turnpike (PTC) system highways are either 70 or 55.

Yes, the 70mph stretches of PA 43 are owned by PTC. The speed limit drops to 65 (and then 55) on the PennDOT-owned portion between Big Six Road and US 40.

Most of the length of all of the toll roads in southwest PA are 70, and only one is an Interstate. The only non-Interstate, non-PTC section posted at 70 that I'm aware of is US 15/Future I-99 north of Trout Run all the way to the NY state line. There may be more, but I'm not aware of any. It definitely doesn't matter whether the road is an Interstate, though.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.