News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Two Lane Roads That Need Four

Started by webny99, February 05, 2018, 08:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

hotdogPi

MA 125 immediately north of I-495 in Haverhill, MA.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

US 89

US 6 from I-15 in Spanish Fork to I-70 at Green River. Yes, I know this was originally going to be I-70, but it probably doesn’t warrant an Interstate. It does need 4 lanes, and a few interchanges at high traffic intersections like US 89 would be very helpful.

In the Salt Lake City area, Redwood Rd (UT-68) has a couple two-lane sections that should be four, one north of the city and one in the south Salt Lake Valley. I think there’s currently a project going to widen the south section. Also, 1300 East should be 4 lanes due to the insane amounts of traffic on it at rush hour. It actually used to be 4 lanes, and then the city did a road diet, mostly due to pressures from bicycle groups.

US 189 should be four lanes all the way from Provo to Heber. There is still a two-lane portion near Deer Creek Reservoir.

Finally, although it would never happen due to topography and other environmental issues, both Cottonwood Canyons (UT-190 and 210) should be four lanes.

Max Rockatansky

CA 43 between 99 and 198 could use an upgrade.  The moderate traffic isn't so much the problem but the fog makes travel extremely dangerous in the winter.  41, 180, and 198 all have Expressway segments in fog prone areas with decent traffic counts.  41 from 198 to I-5 could use an upgrade as well. 

Hurricane Rex

OR 18... And OR 99W east of OR 18 to Dundee. US 97 (Weed to at least Madras).

EDIT: US 26 from Mt. Hood to Madras (coast just increased passing lanes).
US 101 Seaside to Astoria.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

pdx-wanderer

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on February 06, 2018, 01:51:35 AM
OR 18... And OR 99W east of OR 18 to Dundee. US 97 (Weed to at least Madras)

US-26 all the way from the coast to Madras should be at least four.

LM117

NC-86 between Danville and Hillsborough. Hands down. I commute that road often and I always encounter a good deal of truck traffic, in addition to regular traffic. Between the truck traffic and the cars road raging and riding your ass if you aren't doing 70+mph on a 55mph highway, NC-86 can be a pretty scary ride. I've seen people try to pass 3 or 4 cars/trucks at once and narrowly avoid getting creamed head-on. I dread the days that I have to drive on NC-86. I go to Durham and eastern NC often and I don't have any other better alternative route.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

freebrickproductions

Would a three lane road (one lane each way + center turn lane) count?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

webny99

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 06, 2018, 03:23:02 AM

If you think it needs five, then sure, I don't see why not.

Note: I have added some examples in my own area to the OP.

ftballfan

US-12 from Saline to I-94
M-59 from Michigan Ave (Howell) to US-23

bzakharin

US 206 between I-295 and I-287, not like it'll ever happen, though.

gonealookin

The weekend ski visitors will tell you it's CA 89 from I-80 in Truckee down to CA 28 in Tahoe City.  The opportunity to do it would have been at the same time I-80 over the Sierra was being fast-tracked for the 1960 Winter Olympics at Squaw Valley, but I don't suppose they envisoned the long-term need for an upgraded spur to Lake Tahoe at that time.

The notion of another Winter Olympics bid for the Tahoe region has been floated as recently as a few years ago, but any transportation improvements would focus on mass transit.  There's a desire to sharply reduce the number of cars coming into the Tahoe Basin over the next couple decades.  This is also why US 50 over the Sierra, which would be another candidate for the list, will never get added capacity, just incremental safety improvements.

sparker

Some Bay-Area-To-Affordable-Housing corridors that could definitely use a couple of additional lanes for safety's sake if nothing else:

(1) The remaining 2-lane portions of Vasco Road between Livermore (I-580) and Brentwood (CA 4) in Alameda and Contra Costa counties.

(2) CA 132 between I-5 and Modesto (CA 99).  Lots of commuter traffic trying to avoid I-205 around Tracy, which also carries Manteca and Stockton commuters.

(3) CA 12 from Suisun City to Rio Vista.  Way too much regular traffic for the highway alignment (much of which hasn't seen substantial improvement for 40+ years).

(4) The all-time obvious:  CA 152 between US 101 and CA 156.  Expressway would suffice; full freeway would be better. 

(5)  And (4)'s neighbor:  CA 25 from US 101 near Gilroy to Hollister.  Packed with commuter traffic M-F each week; and add to that wine-tasting tourists on weekends.  Recipe for disaster (although Caltrans did have the good sense to put a K-rail down the middle; you can't pass, but you're less likely to end up as a fatality!).

gonealookin

And, not local, but the California example I have to drive occasionally and hate most of all is US 395 from CA 58 at Kramer Junction down to I-15 in Hesperia.  Come on, California, make that a 4-lane expressway, as you have the entire mostly-empty stretch of US 395 from the CA 14 merge at Ridgecrest up to Lee Vining (except a few miles near Olancha).

jwolfer

Quote from: bzakharin on February 06, 2018, 12:42:11 PM
US 206 between I-295 and I-287, not like it'll ever happen, though.
A lot of NJ 2 lanes should be at least 4. In Florida most NJ state roads would be 4 to 6 lanes.

A legacy of all the unbuilt freeways.

Just a few from examples

the rest of 70,72; 35 in Wall Twp; the southern portion of 206 from at ACE to Bordentown; US 9 in Ocean County north of 72 and in Atlantic City area ..

But this is in the fantasy realm

Z981

D-Dey65

All non-four-lane segments of NY 111, NY 112, and Suffolk CR 16.

NY 25 from Suffolk CR 83 in Selden to Suffolk CR 58 in Calverton.

The entire Moriches Bypass (Suffolk CR 98).

Montauk Highway from Suffolk CR 98 in East Moriches to downtown Eastport.

I'm pretty sure I have a long list of roads that need more than two lanes.

kkt

Quote from: sparker on February 06, 2018, 04:09:05 PM
(4) The all-time obvious:  CA 152 between US 101 and CA 156.  Expressway would suffice; full freeway would be better. 

Yes, it needs to be four lanes, but if Caltrans went to all the work to make a 4-lane road and did NOT make it a freeway they'd be stupid.  There's more than enough traffic to justify a freeway there.  Maybe even six lanes.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on February 07, 2018, 12:37:59 PM
Quote from: sparker on February 06, 2018, 04:09:05 PM

Yes, it needs to be four lanes, but if Caltrans went to all the work to make a 4-lane road and did NOT make it a freeway they'd be stupid.  There's more than enough traffic to justify a freeway there.  Maybe even six lanes.

Can't believe I forgot about that one.  All the two-lane sections of 156 and 25 north of Hollister ought to be four lane as well. 

Finrod

Hammond Drive in Sandy Springs (north Atlanta) between Glenridge and Roswell Road.  It goes through a hilly residential area and I've sen it backed up that entire length before.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

freebrickproductions

I'd say that just about any 3 lane road (and some two lane roads) in Madison, AL should be at least 4 or 5 lanes, though apparently any residents there are against widening many of these roads as they're afraid it'll cause the roads to gain a speed limit above 35 MPH...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

intelati49

Quote from: webny99 on February 06, 2018, 08:41:48 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 06, 2018, 03:23:02 AM

If you think it needs five, then sure, I don't see why not.

Note: I have added some examples in my own area to the OP.

MO-76 in Branson then...

The stretches of two/three lane are horrible at peak. (Think hour long delays.) On the Highest AADT for a two lane, it has a AADT of 20k.

cbeach40

For Ontario, Highway 7 between Peterborough and Carleton Place. Would provide a better alternative to the 401 through Eastern Ontario.
and waterrrrrrr!

texaskdog

the street outside my apartment has been restriped one lane each way instead of two.  plus it has a busy RR track on it.

Eth

The bit of Covington Hwy (US 278) between Turner Hill Rd (GA 124) and Evans Mill Rd near Lithonia/Stonecrest. Mostly because there's pretty much always some traffic calamity on neighboring I-20 and this is the only reasonable alternate.

fillup420

NC 105 between Boone and Linville, NC. Its used as a truck route for US 221, so it would be nice to get around slow trucks.

Come to think of it, NC 105 is much faster and straighter than US 221 between Boone and Linville. 221 goes around through Blowing Rock while 105 goes straight to Boone. To top it off, 105 ends at 221 on both sides, so it would make too much sense to just sign 221 along the entirety of 105

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.