News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadyjay

So just got back from a trip to CT to see the family.  I decided against driving and took the train, which made me forgo my road trip adventures that were planned for Friday (I-84 west of Waterbury, US 7, and Milford Parkway to see the new signage, Conn Turnpike to check out the new Milford service area and the new Q Bridge, etc). 

My only time on the interstate this trip was the turnpike from Int 65 down to Int 47.  A couple brief observations:

*   The Madison service area sign which was put up a few years ago after the 1 mile advance for Int 62 has finally had its mileage corrected, changed from the way-inaccurate 1/2 mile to a more accurate 1 mile distance.

*   The Branford service area - SB is still open, but NB is closed and demolition work continues.  The old restaurant building is still standing but appeared to be gutted. 

*   Traffic is moving over the new Q Bridge NB.  New signs appear for the exit and 1/2 mile advance guide, plus an overhead sign for secondary destinations (including Tweed-NHV Airport, USCG Fort Nathan Hale, etc).  The oddball was the old 3/4 mile Phase III button copy from the old NB bridge was moved to the new bridge, but with an aligned exit tab.  The final SB overhead assembly for Exit 48 also had its exit tab on button copy signage moved to the right side, similar to what was done to Exit 45 further south.  Strange that they would take the time to do this on signs that are going to be replaced anyway.

And that was it for the road portion of the trip.  I may be going down again in Sept or Oct and depending on time, I want to grab shots of that new signage in western CT, drive the Brookfield Bypass, visit the rebuilt plaza, pick up a map, etc, and of course take lots of pics. 

KEVIN_224

Both I-95 plazas in Milford are done. The northbound I-95 plaza in Darien is being redone as we speak and is closed to the public.

Also, some work finally started on the New Britain end of the New Britain/Hartford Busway last night:

http://www.ctnow.com/news/connecticut/hartford/hc-new-britain-busway-work-0728-20120727,0,3435249.story

At first, I thought the meant the railroad bridge which parallels the Exit 26 Northbound off-ramp from CT Route 9. They're talking about an abandoned bridge a bit north of there:

http://goo.gl/maps/WqVq6

The span in question is over CT Route 9, from north of the Columbus Plaza Shopping Center, eastward to Stanley Street. It's been abandoned for at least 30 years and people have used it as a shortcut to the plaza along Columbus Boulevard.

shadyjay

Some pretty substantial work also taking place along the Amtrak ROW from Newington [Junction] up to Hartford.

But don't get me started on this project........

southshore720

Quote from: shadyjay on July 29, 2012, 10:06:07 PM
So just got back from a trip to CT to see the family.  I decided against driving and took the train, which made me forgo my road trip adventures that were planned for Friday (I-84 west of Waterbury, US 7, and Milford Parkway to see the new signage, Conn Turnpike to check out the new Milford service area and the new Q Bridge, etc). 

Does anyone know the exit number listing for the Milford Pkwy?  Any pictures?  I was down in the area this past week, but didn't get a chance to go on the connector.

KEVIN_224

Looking at Google Street View, it doesn't look like the exits on it are numbered at all.

Getting back to New Britain and the Busway: The only thing I've seen so far from Main Street is a bit of tree clearing on either side of the Exit 9 off ramp from CT Route 72 East to CT Route 71/Harry Truman Overpass.

Alps

Quote from: southshore720 on July 31, 2012, 04:28:41 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on July 29, 2012, 10:06:07 PM

Does anyone know the exit number listing for the Milford Pkwy?  Any pictures?  I was down in the area this past week, but didn't get a chance to go on the connector.
No numbering. www.alpsroads.net/roads/ct/milford

shadyjay

Actually, the Milford Parkway signs have been replaced and now have exit numbers.  I saw them in the plans.  And there are a few ConnDOT traffic cams that, when pointed the right direction, show the signs, or back of, and you can see they're new.

I believe the plans had Exit 1 for US 1, Exit 2 for the turnpike, and Exit 3 for the WCP.  Exit 4 may have been the Merritt or Wheelers Farm Road.  It seems ridiculous that they would sign exit numbers on this road, while the Bradley Airport Connector just had its signs replaced and didn't get exit numbers.  Motorists traveling the Milford Parkway never encounter more than 2 exits in a single direction, while there are 5 or so exits on the Bradley connector. 

Maybe ConnDOT couldn't agree where to start the exit numbering.... should Exit 1 be the first exit from I-91, or should Exit 1 be at the other end?  Technically when the road begins at I-91, it's CT 20 West, so exits should be numbered the other way.  However, what if mileage-based exits ever come into play?  Then we'd be talking Exit ## (from CT 20's western terminus).  In my opinion, the connector should be an I-#91.  Perhaps I-191. 

Perhaps this is also the reason why CT 3 doesn't have exit numbers over the Putnam Bridge.  Exit 1 for I-91?  Maybe, but CT 3 starts in Middletown, several miles south.

But I digress.  I will never understand CT exit numbering.  (I-95 NB Exit 76, then Exit 81, as a prime example).

KEVIN_224

Or the screwy number along CT Route 15, over the Merritt Parkway, Wilbur Cross Parkway, skip over the Berlin Turnpike and then resume between Wethersfield and East Hartford. Greenwich should reset to exit 1 at the NY state line and leave the other exits unnumbered in that last segment.

Yes, CT Route 3 does start in Middletown, at the junction of CT Route 66 by Wesleyan University.

shadyjay

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on August 01, 2012, 03:00:16 PM
Or the screwy number along CT Route 15, over the Merritt Parkway, Wilbur Cross Parkway, skip over the Berlin Turnpike and then resume between Wethersfield and East Hartford. Greenwich should reset to exit 1 at the NY state line and leave the other exits unnumbered in that last segment.

If CT ever switches to mileage-based exits, they should start the process with CT 15.  It would have the most to gain with the switch, plus CT 9 and CT 175 interchanges on the Berlin Turnpike would get numbers, too. 

The other route that would gain a lot would be I-395, but if I were in charge, I'd keep the turnpike exit numbering sequence.  Any mile-based system however would start I-395 with Exit 1 (or in reality, Exit 2 or 3). 

Duke87

Never going to happen unless FHWA plays hardball with that requirement. And even then, there will be an uproar about it.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on August 01, 2012, 07:40:47 PM
Never going to happen unless FHWA plays hardball with that requirement. And even then, there will be an uproar about it.
Some, if not all, of the Northeastern agencies are waiting for their hands to get forced, because at least then they can blame the FHWA when people get upset. If they take the initiative and people are upset, they can only blame themselves.

KEVIN_224

Quote from: shadyjay on August 01, 2012, 03:06:41 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on August 01, 2012, 03:00:16 PM

If CT ever switches to mileage-based exits, they should start the process with CT 15.  It would have the most to gain with the switch, plus CT 9 and CT 175 interchanges on the Berlin Turnpike would get numbers, too. 

Starting at the north end of CT Route 9, as an example:

32 (new 40B) - I-84/US 6 West - Waterbury [northbound off]
31 (new 40A) - I-84/US 6 East - Hartford [northbound off]
30 (new 39) - CT 71 - To Corbin's Corner/ West Hartford
29 (new 38) - To CT 175 - CCSU/Newington [southbound via Ella Grasso Boulevard]
28A (37 C?) - Downtown New Britain [southbound off]
28 (37 AB?) - CT 72 West - Bristol
27 (36B) - Chestnut Street -New Britain [southbound off/northbound on]
26 (36A) - Columbus Boulevard - Downtown [northbound off]
25 (new 35) - Ellis Street - New Britain - To CT 71
24 (new 34) - Willow Brook Connector - Kensington - To CT 71 [northbound off/southbound on]
23 (new 33) - Christian Lane - Berlin [southbound off/northbound on]

Mergingtraffic

to this day, I don't get the US-7 Danbury exit numbers.  It really makes no sense.  They now have NEW exit numbers.  The mall exit is now Exit 8, the airport is Exit 7 etc.  On US-7 SB, the exit for I-84 EB is now Exit 10. Couldn't they allign the numbers with the I-84 numbers, and lets face it, the expressway will never be connected to Norwalk, so if that is reasoning why the exit numbers are the way they are, it won't make sense.

And to make things worse, it reinforces my opinion, that CT DOT doesnt think about continuity, they think in terms of "projects" is that the first BGS on US-7 NB says "Airport Road" with no exit number, that was from the widening contract.  But the BGS exit now sign has Exit 7, which is from the current signing contract. 

SO, two signs for the SAME exit, one from one contract has NO exit number and one from a different contract HAS an exit number!
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

KEVIN_224

And the first US Route 7 Expressway exit north of the split with I-84 is for Exit 11.

Duke87

Quote from: doofy103 on August 02, 2012, 02:40:33 PM
to this day, I don't get the US-7 Danbury exit numbers.  It really makes no sense.  They now have NEW exit numbers.  The mall exit is now Exit 8, the airport is Exit 7 etc.  On US-7 SB, the exit for I-84 EB is now Exit 10. Couldn't they allign the numbers with the I-84 numbers, and lets face it, the expressway will never be connected to Norwalk, so if that is reasoning why the exit numbers are the way they are, it won't make sense.

And to make things worse, it reinforces my opinion, that CT DOT doesnt think about continuity, they think in terms of "projects" is that the first BGS on US-7 NB says "Airport Road" with no exit number, that was from the widening contract.  But the BGS exit now sign has Exit 7, which is from the current signing contract. 

SO, two signs for the SAME exit, one from one contract has NO exit number and one from a different contract HAS an exit number!

Allowing for a freeway to fill the gap was definitely the original intent with the northern numbers, but ConnDOT seems to have simply dumbly counted backwards when slapping exit numbers on the middle section in a way which was not intended. Most likely, neither I-84 interchange was to be numbered, and the two interchanges on the middle freeway section were to be 9 and 10. Having them as 7 and 8 leaves room for only two new interchanges between Norwalk and Danbury (assuming Grist Mill Rd would be exit 4 rather than having access closed up). There definitely would have been a couple more.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

southshore720

Quote from: shadyjay on July 31, 2012, 09:30:11 PM
I believe the plans had Exit 1 for US 1, Exit 2 for the turnpike, and Exit 3 for the WCP.  Exit 4 may have been the Merritt or Wheelers Farm Road.  It seems ridiculous that they would sign exit numbers on this road, while the Bradley Airport Connector just had its signs replaced and didn't get exit numbers.  Motorists traveling the Milford Parkway never encounter more than 2 exits in a single direction.

Thanks ShadyJay...you are absolutely right.  The Milford Pkwy NB and SB share NO mutual exits and exit numbering here is simply puzzling  :hmmm:

Did they replace the outdated Exit 54/55 signage on the Wilbur Cross Pkwy approaching the Milford Pkwy?  Somehow, this signage got lost in both the Merritt and Wilbur Cross Pkwy sign replacement projects in the early 2000s.

southshore720

Quote from: Duke87 on August 02, 2012, 06:38:56 PM
Allowing for a freeway to fill the gap was definitely the original intent with the northern numbers, but ConnDOT seems to have simply dumbly counted backwards when slapping exit numbers on the middle section in a way which was not intended. Most likely, neither I-84 interchange was to be numbered, and the two interchanges on the middle freeway section were to be 9 and 10. Having them as 7 and 8 leaves room for only two new interchanges between Norwalk and Danbury (assuming Grist Mill Rd would be exit 4 rather than having access closed up). There definitely would have been a couple more.

I'm just thankful that they FINALLY corrected the incorrect Exit 13 to the correct Exit 10 on US 7 South!  I guess we have to take what we can get from the CT DOT.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: southshore720 on August 03, 2012, 12:15:19 AM

Did they replace the outdated Exit 54/55 signage on the Wilbur Cross Pkwy approaching the Milford Pkwy?  Somehow, this signage got lost in both the Merritt and Wilbur Cross Pkwy sign replacement projects in the early 2000s.

I think the signs on the actual parkway themselves are still there.  I think they date to the mid 80s. 

But the non-reflective button copy BGS signs off Exit 55 (I think) by the park & ride were replaced with the current signing project on the Milford Connector. 

Also, there are still some old BGS on CT-15 NB for CT-25 NB and a 15NB reassurance BGS in Trumbull.  I think they date back to 1982 or 1983 when CT-25 opened.  They are non-button copy and never replaced even though there are new signs right next to them.  (when CT expereimented with non button copy in the early 80s and yes CT-25's original signage was never button copy either)

KEVIN_224

Those old signs are still there (was on this stretch on July 21st and 26th). You can barely read the "CT 15 NORTH" sign until you're almost under the bridge the sign is on. :(

agentsteel53

Quote from: doofy103 on August 03, 2012, 12:50:16 AM
Also, there are still some old BGS on CT-15 NB for CT-25 NB and a 15NB reassurance BGS in Trumbull.  I think they date back to 1982 or 1983 when CT-25 opened.  They are non-button copy and never replaced even though there are new signs right next to them.  (when CT expereimented with non button copy in the early 80s and yes CT-25's original signage was never button copy either)

there are some signs of this style (demountable reflective letters) on I-84.  the Austin Rd. exit (exit 25) on I-84 eastbound comes to mind.

this was observed in Feb 2010.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

shadyjay

Quote from: southshore720 on August 03, 2012, 12:15:19 AM

It really irked me that they didn't replace Exits 54/55 signage when the Moses Wheeler Bridge was replaced.  When the WCP signage was replaced, it started at the Milford/Orange town line and went north to the Wallingford/Meriden town line.  No signs SB for Exit 55 were replaced.  A button copy Exit 55 1/2 mile, which featured the old blue service text trademark that used to adourn most 1/2 mile signs (advertising food/phone/gas/lodging, before replaced with symbols in the late 90s), remained.  So you had two Exit 55 1/2 mile signs - one overhead (paired with Exit 54) and one ground-based.  That sign replacement project got underway around 2000 or so - I remember seeing the new signs stored at the ConnDOT garage just before the West Rock Tunnel.  I assumed that the reasoning behind starting at the Milford/Orange town line and going north was that a separate project would handle the area around Moses Wheeler.  Maybe they just forgot about it.  But the same thing happened in the north as well:  Two signs for Exit 67 remained button copy "Phase III", NB while there's still a New Haven/Bridgeport/NY City mileage Phase III sign SB in the same area.

But that's not the only case of signs being left out of a contract.  Again, around 2000-2001, signs on the turnpike between Exits 60 and 76 were replaced, but not those between Exits 68-70.  Why?  Because those were replaced in 1992-1993 in conjunction with the Baldwin Bridge replacement.  Still I think it would've made more sense to do the whole route - now there's button copy in the middle of a nice Phase IV stretch. 

Then you have to wonder about another turnpike sign contract going out to bid late this year or early next year - the replacement of signs from Exit 25 up to Exit 47.  Now those between Exits 36 and 41 were JUST replaced, what, 2 years ago?  Don't tell me they're going to yank those out.  We'll see when they post the contract details on the ConnDOT web site.

And yes, at least ConnDOT did fix the exit number error on US 7 SB at I-84 EB.  Having NB exits go 11-12 and SB exits go 11-13 made NO sense. 

southshore720

I thought Ex 54/55 signage on Rte 15 was originally going to be replaced with the completion of the Sikorsky Bridge replacement...but no!  Then I banked on hopes of the Milford Pkwy replacement...but shut out again!

Maybe the Ex 68-70 gap on I-95 will eventually be covered under a (hopeful) Rte 9 sign replacement contract?  I too was irked that 68-70 was left out of that original contract.  I'm waiting for an Exit 83-93 signage replacement as well.

I don't think they are going to replace anything in the Bridgeport widening stretch (Ex 26-29) or the recent Milford replacement (Ex 34-41).  SOME of Stratford will be replaced when the Moses Wheeler Bridge is finished...but I'm sure a few "relics" will remain unless the new contract covers them.

On a recent ride down I-95 SB, I noticed that the new Exit 38 (Rte 15 Merritt/W Cross) sign at the 1/2 way mark is "off."  It looks like someone clipped off the left portion of the sign, threw on a small Rte 15 shield, and tried to make the most to salvage the sign as it was recently replaced.  It looks AWFUL!!

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: southshore720 on August 05, 2012, 03:53:52 AM
I don't think they are going to replace anything in the Bridgeport widening stretch (Ex 26-29) or the recent Milford replacement (Ex 34-41).  SOME of Stratford will be replaced when the Moses Wheeler Bridge is finished...but I'm sure a few "relics" will remain unless the new contract covers them.

Some of the signs that went up in 2002 for the bpt widening on I-95 and the signs for exit 42 widening that went up in 2007 or so are losing their reflectivity already.

Alps

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443659204577571203607650934.html

Moving forward in New Haven. I can attest that this is one freeway not really needed.

vdeane

The article gets cut off for me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.