News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 28, 2014, 10:43:36 PM
http://wtnh.com/2014/10/28/truck-catches-fire-on-merritt-parkway/

And this is what cellphone guidance gives truckers! This happened on the Merritt Parkway (CT Route 15) in Greenwich...barely! The driver's trailer, which obviously should never have been on this road, struck the King Street overpass on the state line.

That is one of the lower bridges around and it has trimmed quite a few trucks down to size in its time. NYSDOT has an overheight detector leading up to it northbound and has recently painted "LOW BRIDGE NO TRUCKS" in that area and others on the Hutch. Of course it doesn't make a damn difference since truckers won't see signs they aren't looking for no matter how obvious you try and make them.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

JakeFromNewEngland

Sorry if this isn't directly road related but,

http://wtnh.com/2014/10/30/new-havens-downtown-crossing-project-unveiled/

What is everyone thoughts on this? I like the idea a lot since it'll bring lots of new growth to New Haven. At the same time however, especially with the removal of CT 34, I have a feeling a significant amount of traffic will still be there. Hopefully when all this construction is done the traffic will be not as bad, but we'll see..

kurumi

OMG, the comments on that page

QuoteTHEY NEED TO KNOCK DOWN THOSE CHURCH STREET SOUTH PROJECTS!!!! ARE THEY???? THOSE PROJECTS ARE TROUBLE!!!!! NOTHING BUT DRUGS AND CRIME AND MORE SCUM!!!

Hey, maybe they could build a freeway there :)

Well, if 34's never going to happen, then yes, reclaim the prime city land, make it more walkable and appealing. Traffic from Derby/Ansonia area could take CT 10 (possibly upgraded) to I-95 or mumble mumble something to I-91.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Zeffy

Quote from: kurumi on October 31, 2014, 02:01:06 AM
QuoteTHEY NEED TO KNOCK DOWN THOSE CHURCH STREET SOUTH PROJECTS!!!! ARE THEY???? THOSE PROJECTS ARE TROUBLE!!!!! NOTHING BUT DRUGS AND CRIME AND MORE SCUM!!!

When exactly have housing projects not produced unsavory elements in cities? No one wants to live in 'the projects',
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Zeffy on October 31, 2014, 03:42:34 PM
Quote from: kurumi on October 31, 2014, 02:01:06 AM

When exactly have housing projects not produced unsavory elements in cities? No one wants to live in 'the projects',

Poverty produces unsavory elements.  Housing projects concentrate poor people.  I think it's important to make the distinction that building or removing the building  doesn't create or eliminate the problem. 

Zeffy

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 31, 2014, 05:02:58 PM
Poverty produces unsavory elements.  Housing projects concentrate poor people.  I think it's important to make the distinction that building or removing the building  doesn't create or eliminate the problem.

True. However, I feel that newer residents will be less inclined to move in to an area that contains the often dilapidated appearance that housing projects tend to give (not saying that (usually) the immediate area around the projects would look any better...).
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

KEVIN_224

http://wtnh.com/2014/11/20/possible-flaw-in-i-95-moses-wheeler-bridge-puts-project-over-budget-sets-back-completion/.

This is about the I-95 bridge over the Housatonic River, between Stratford and Milford. Looks like the total replacement project has been delayed and may now cost millions more. :(

JakeFromNewEngland

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on November 20, 2014, 07:33:48 PM
http://wtnh.com/2014/11/20/possible-flaw-in-i-95-moses-wheeler-bridge-puts-project-over-budget-sets-back-completion/.

This is about the I-95 bridge over the Housatonic River, between Stratford and Milford. Looks like the total replacement project has been delayed and may now cost millions more. :(

I just read about that. It's unbelievable. Living in Milford, traffic can be crazy trying to get across that bridge due to all the construction. Hopefully they can find some kind of alternative to this..

Alps

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on November 20, 2014, 07:33:48 PM

I love reading article comments. People are so clueless. This has nothing to do with government or (likely) the contractor, and certainly not the union workers. Design flaws are on the engineers. Then again, I don't want to be blamed if anything I do goes wrong. (:

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: vdeane on October 09, 2014, 09:37:35 PM
I don't think CT wants to convert anything to mileage-based.  They might have been planning to replace the signs anyways and had the FHWA force their hand.  I recall some sign plans posted here for I-84 that had room to add extra digits in the number.

WTIC-DT news is teasing a feature story for Monday (24 November) morning about a "change coming to Connecticut highways" and "what will be done to avoid confusing drivers".

Considering that the teaser tape featured pictures of exit signs....

vdeane

If CT actually does a full conversion, it's gonna make all the remaining sequential states look pretty silly.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: vdeane on November 21, 2014, 01:04:03 PM
If CT actually does a full conversion, it's gonna make all the remaining sequential states look pretty silly.

Among the readers of AARoads, perhaps.  Among most people who use those roads, not so much.

I would prefer that they don't do this conversion, because I have decades of crisscrossing CT behind me that have burned a pretty good familiarity with those numbers into my head (86-to-84 conversion notwithstanding). 

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 21, 2014, 06:07:15 PM

Among the readers of AARoads, perhaps.  Among most people who use those roads, not so much.

I would prefer that they don't do this conversion, because I have decades of crisscrossing CT behind me that have burned a pretty good familiarity with those numbers into my head (86-to-84 conversion notwithstanding). 

It's probably the story of the exit signs for I-395. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

vdeane

Quote from: doofy103 on November 21, 2014, 08:56:03 PM
It's probably the story of the exit signs for I-395. 
Hasn't that been talked about for months now?  It's not like it's been a secret outside of AA Roads.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

The whole "I'm familiar with the way it used to be, so don't change it" is what led to Jim Crow. Just sayin'.

NE2

It's also what led to using mileage instead of kilometerage for exit numbers. Kilometers are the hepcats of the highways.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on November 22, 2014, 01:29:42 AM
It's also what led to using mileage instead of kilometerage for exit numbers. Kilometers are the hepcats of the highways.
The one thing Obamunism didn't fix is the metric system. What kind of liberal deity did we elect?

NE2

His recent Overreaching Executive Orderghazi has a hidden provision that allows kilometers to sneak across the border and murder our miles.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on November 22, 2014, 01:35:56 AM
His recent Overreaching Executive Orderghazi has a hidden provision that allows kilometers to sneak across the border and murder our miles.
I've noticed dual-language mile and kilometer signs near our borders. Are they to be given amnesty?

NE2

Dual-unit signs already have amnesty from St. Raygun of the Eighties.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on November 22, 2014, 01:13:38 AM

The whole "I'm familiar with the way it used to be, so don't change it" is what led to Jim Crow. Just sayin'.

Sure, and you know who else valued highway efficiency? THE NAZIS!

NE2

But Mussolini knew where it was at, convincing his subjects that the trains were on time.

Pete from Boston

Mussolini just changed the numbers to make people happy.  Sound familiar?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on November 21, 2014, 12:26:39 AMI love reading article comments. People are so clueless. This has nothing to do with government or (likely) the contractor, and certainly not the union workers. Design flaws are on the engineers. Then again, I don't want to be blamed if anything I do goes wrong. (:

Agreed.  The level of cluelessness in most comments is, well, rather remarkable. 

I am not qualified to design anything that might possibly be used on a bridge or tunnel, but I know almost infinitely more than most of those commentators. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on November 22, 2014, 01:42:59 AM
Quote from: NE2 on November 22, 2014, 01:35:56 AM
I've noticed dual-language mile and kilometer signs near our borders. Are they to be given amnesty?

It's a conspiracy I tell you.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.