AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
 on: Today at 09:25:29 AM 
Started by jwags - Last post by edwaleni
Tollway Oasis trivia.

The I-88 Reagan Tollway electronic toll collection zone in Downers Grove was land originally acquired to build yet another overhead oasis.

Why it never got built when IL-5 was built no one knows. The land sat empty for some 50 plus years until ISTHA demolished the Oak Brook collection zone and shifted it west.

on: Today at 09:16:29 AM 
Started by webny99 - Last post by webny99
I don't know what Culvers is

You are seriously, big time, missing out (although as mentioned, they're primarily a Midwestern chain).

on: Today at 09:11:10 AM 
Started by Hurricane Rex - Last post by Henry
372 + 5 = 377

on: Today at 09:08:11 AM 
Started by Jim - Last post by Henry
I-65 from Montgomery, AL to Indianapolis, IN:

on: Today at 08:39:04 AM 
Started by tradephoric - Last post by tradephoric
I mean this in the sincerest way possible, but: do you search for news about roundabouts every morning, or something? I'm curious how it is you find all these news articles all the time.

The very first reply on this thread was made after I linked a news article about an Ann Arbor roundabout that experienced 170 crashes in 2013, which was the most crash prone intersection in Michigan.

Speaks more to the (in)flexibility of Michigan drivers than it does any inherent safety risk with roundabouts.  New roundabouts elsewhere have seen major drops in the number of crashes.

I wanted to see if froggie was right.  While some roundabouts have certainly seen major drops in the number of crashes, froggie failed to mention all the examples of roundabouts that have seen major increases in the number of crashes.  I think this thread has done a good job highlighting which types of roundabouts are likely to see big increases in crashes, but that does take a lot of research.  Itís not enough just to show that there have been big increases in crashes at 2x2 and 2x3 roundabouts in Michigan, but when you can show that this is a pattern nationwide I think itís more effective.  To answer your question no I donít search for news stories about roundabouts every morning, but itís not that hard to keep track of the known problem roundabouts if you really want to.  Iíd argue that many supposed roundabout experts have an affinity for roundabouts, and donít want to highlight the problematic ones as this could erode public support for their beloved roundabouts!  I don't care about that.

on: Today at 08:13:40 AM 
Started by traffic light guy - Last post by Amtrakprod
I swear I've seen this thread before, and I pointed out (as I'm about to again) that "yellow trap" is not a signal, it's a...mistake.

My personal preference for left turns is fully permissive, then FYA, then doghouse/tower, then fully protected.
Yep, Jake is right, Iím the same in that order.

iPhone

on: Today at 08:12:32 AM 
Started by traffic light guy - Last post by Amtrakprod
I understand many love Doghouses, but Iím still one for Flashing yellow arrows. I believe they are the safest signal.

iPhone

on: Today at 08:08:10 AM 
Started by Tom89t - Last post by MNHighwayMan
Found a couple of pictures on my hard drive.
https://i.imgur.com/pLJKENp.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/27eyjSP.jpg

Note that not every intersection in Lawton is like this. The majority are all horizontal or all vertical.
https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/1*j_tOGIkKynt11RTYZRvhhA.gif

You know, I think it'd actually look halfway decent if they used all arrows on the left-turn heads.

on: Today at 08:03:49 AM 
Started by tradephoric - Last post by MNHighwayMan
I mean this in the sincerest way possible, but: do you search for news about roundabouts every morning, or something? I'm curious how it is you find all these news articles all the time.

on: Today at 07:51:11 AM 
Started by tradephoric - Last post by tradephoric
They just can't seem to fix the notorious Britannia roundabout in Adelaide.  Even after a major $3.2 million reconfiguration of the roundabout in 2013 that converted it from a single roundabout to a double roundabout, casualty crashes are the exact same as before the reconfiguration (at the time experts said the reconfiguration would 'reduce casualty crashes by up to 23 per cent').   The troubled intersection is going to be discussed at an upcoming Adelaide's City Counsel Meeting and the new option on the table is grade-separation. 

Traffic experts float new Britannia roundabout overhaul

https://indaily.com.au/news/2018/06/25/traffic-experts-float-new-britannia-roundabout-overhaul/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.