News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Overpowered Interchanges

Started by Janko Dialnice, November 21, 2013, 10:16:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

At a first glance, this is classic example of an overpowered interchange. It's the only interchange, on an expressway where traffic lights suffice at all the other junctions.

But when you look at what happens downstream, that's not the full story. The intersection at Five Mile Line Road, less than a mile away, is one of the most chronically underpowered junctions in existence. Afternoon backups of a mile or more are common, and right turn lanes (and probably additional through lanes) are badly needed. Considering the similar volumes these two junctions handle, I'm sure there's a happy-medium between the two that would work well at both. But the long term solution, at least IMO, is a full expressway or freeway bypass of Penfield. The existing commute from Walworth to Rochester is horrific, despite this single "overpowered" interchange which actually brings much needed relief to traffic flow.

vdeane

The terrain might play a role in that as well, with the steep downhill grade approaching the interchange from either side on NY 441.  I think NY 153 is the most major road the divided highway portion of NY 441 crosses too.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mrpablue

I-80 at CA-13 is some kind of 3-way turbine (is there a name for this?) leading to a 2- to 3-lane arterial.

I-5 at Mercer Street in Seattle is often congested, so it doesn't seem to be overbuilt. Was a directional T justified at the time of building, though?

TheStranger

Quote from: mrpablue on May 13, 2018, 05:02:25 PM
I-80 at CA-13 is some kind of 3-way turbine (is there a name for this?) leading to a 2- to 3-lane arterial.

Looking at Historicaerials, this interchange has existed as far back as 1958 or so.  (Though at one point Route 13 east of there to Route 24 was planned to be upgraded to freeway, which never occurred given it would have cut right through the heart of Berkeley)
Chris Sampang

US 89

Dwyer Junction, Wyoming. (I-25/US 87 and US 26)

I can't imagine there's enough traffic to warrant all direct ramps, let alone a directional T. If they didn't want a diamond, a trumpet likely would have been much cheaper.

TheHighwayMan3561

I always questioned whether the massive multidirectional interchanges involving I-39/US 51/WIS 29 in Wausau, WI needed to be as extravagant as they were constructed. There had to be an option between the previous existing interchanges that needed to be replaced and the ungodly superstructures that WISDOT built in those locations.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ftballfan

I-96 at Lansing Rd (exit 98). It used to be the main interchange from I-96 to the southwest prior to I-69 being completed. Currently a full cloverleaf, I feel a SPUI or DDI would probably work fine here. MDOT downgraded the cloverleaf at the much busier exit 93 (Saginaw Hwy) to a six-ramp parclo recently

ekt8750

The Betsy Ross Bridge's interchange with I-95 is extremely elaborate given that one end of it leads to an arterial surface street.

Jmiles32

Quote from: lepidopteran on May 10, 2018, 06:52:10 PM
An old thread, but...  How about VA-28 (Sudley Rd.) and VA-234 (Prince William Parkway) in Manassas?

This is a very wide and impressive-looking interchange, with two of the movements being lengthy, curved elevated ramps.
https://goo.gl/maps/FJbbKjFapQw

But how justified is it?  PW Parkway is 4-lane divided, but it has no shortage of at-grade intersections.  While Sudley Rd. is a 4-lane arterial, with driveways and signalized intersections almost up to the edge of the interchange limits.

As someone who lives relatively close to this interchange, I would argue that it is in fact justified. Both the PW Parkway and VA-28 serve high amounts of commuter traffic and already have way too many lights on them. Any more lights on either the PW Pkwy or Va-28 would be miserable. Additionally, coming from the west the interchange serves as a cool gateway into Manassas.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

PHLBOS

Quote from: ekt8750 on May 14, 2018, 03:48:52 PM
The Betsy Ross Bridge's interchange with I-95 is extremely elaborate given that one end of it leads to an arterial surface street.
That particular interchange design was based with the long-since-cancelled Tacony/Pulaski Expressway in mind.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.