Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/41078963760/in/dateposted-public/
Not only are the Business Routes Green bordered, but the US 23 Business shield has the word "Business" completely spelled out where the US 1 and GA 4 shields are abbreviated.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Bought a weird CA 99 shield on a white blank.  I'm fairly certain that this is a shield from the City of Fresno as they typically use the same font on highway shields:

IMG_7686 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

D-Dey65

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jeffandnicole

spooky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 21, 2018, 10:08:01 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on June 21, 2018, 09:57:35 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 21, 2018, 08:33:22 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on June 13, 2018, 06:36:09 PM
Not sure this 'except on [white arrow on green circle]' sign from Naperville, IL has been posted yet.  There's a near side one for WB traffic as well.
The object markers diagonally across from that sign are interesting too.

Looks like a pair of folded-up stop signs.

I think he's talking about these: https://goo.gl/maps/58CTcGbzkg12

There are half-folded stop signs on the other three approaches, perhaps a failsafe towards a power outage instead of having to drag out temporary signs?

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

chays

I ran across this today in a retirement community in Lake Mary, FL.  They are serious about their speed limits!

jakeroot

^^
That's some bullshit. Speed limit is in decimals, but the reader-board isn't? How the hell do you know if you're doing the limit?? :-D

I don't know why communities bother with BS like that. Speed limits are only allowed to be in increments of 5, and whole numbers (and nothing below 20 here in Washington). I could easily ignore this limit without fear of prosecution.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on June 21, 2018, 05:38:04 PM
^^
That's some bullshit. Speed limit is in decimals, but the reader-board isn't? How the hell do you know if you're doing the limit?? :-D

I don't know why communities bother with BS like that. Speed limits are only allowed to be in increments of 5, and whole numbers (and nothing below 20 here in Washington). I could easily ignore this limit without fear of prosecution.

Given that's in a likely private community in Florida they likely would sick the full-force of whatever oppressive HOA is behind that sign rather than prosecute.  Old Mid-Western folks sure do love rules, regulations, fines and not having people on their lawns.

formulanone

Quote from: chays on June 21, 2018, 01:25:31 PM
I ran across this today in a retirement community in Lake Mary, FL.  They are serious about their speed limits!

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 21, 2018, 07:26:44 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 21, 2018, 05:38:04 PM
^^

Given that's in a likely private community in Florida they likely would sick the full-force of whatever oppressive HOA is behind that sign rather than prosecute.  Old Mid-Western folks sure do love rules, regulations, fines and not having people on their lawns.

I've heard various reasons for odd speed limits, such as to prevent the police from setting "speed traps" if the limits are below a certain threshold due to local laws on private property. (This never made sense to me, either you have a limit or not; thus if posted, how would it be enforced?)

The other I've heard is that very low speed limits on private property or HOAs do not require seatbelts on golf carts, trams, et cetera. Given that Central Florida HOAs or the Quasi-Prinicipality of The Villages love their golf carts, I'm guessing it's mostly the latter.

On the other hand, we have a rather unique case fraction which uses the bar between the numbers on the sign, rather than a solidus fraction, which uses the slant, which is very common on big green guide signs. Nicely done!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: formulanone on June 22, 2018, 09:41:55 AM
The other I've heard is that very low speed limits on private property or HOAs do not require seatbelts on golf carts, trams, et cetera. Given that Central Florida HOAs or the Quasi-Prinicipality of The Villages love their golf carts, I'm guessing it's mostly the latter.

At least speaking for the Villages, the latter isn't true at all.  Golf Carts are permitted on authorized county and municipal roadways.  In most cases, the maximum speed for the vehicular portion of the roadway is 35 mph and generally speaking, there's a golf cart lane on the shoulder, but approaching some traffic lights the golf cart lane ends and the cart is to merge with regular traffic at the intersection.

Seat belts and even child restraints aren't required on golf carts driven in the street.

formulanone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 22, 2018, 10:24:26 AM
Quote from: formulanone on June 22, 2018, 09:41:55 AM

At least speaking for the Villages, the latter isn't true at all.  Golf Carts are permitted on authorized county and municipal roadways.  In most cases, the maximum speed for the vehicular portion of the roadway is 35 mph and generally speaking, there's a golf cart lane on the shoulder, but approaching some traffic lights the golf cart lane ends and the cart is to merge with regular traffic at the intersection.

Seat belts and even child restraints aren't required on golf carts driven in the street.

Potential disaster waiting to happen.

csw

I think the rationale behind speed limit values like these is that an unusual number like 14 1/2 catches your eye more than a round number like 15 would. They make it unusual in the hopes that drivers will notice it and pay heed to it, rather than just ignoring the usual 15 mph sign.

TBKS1

I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

cjk374

Quote from: TBKS1 on June 24, 2018, 12:15:18 AM
I was playing Geoguessr when I came across this...

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2294101,-92.0202446,3a,25.2y,305.08h,81.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svpa9m9DuHstmOtlaTpAEXA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I've never seen this before. A wrong way concurrency between 2 business routes!

Ahh yes...good ol' Crime Bluff, AR. I worked there for a lil while before you were a twinkle in your daddy's eye, and I remember when those were the main lanes of US 65 & 79.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/FSNYFZwWntr
I find this interesting the way Ridge Pike is signed as if were the side street and not the straight through.

The reason for this oddity is that Ridge Pike begins here and Germantown Pike comes in from behind the caption and turns left.  So the town or the county (whoever maintains this intersection) is showing that indeed Ridge Pike is a side street off of Germantown Pike heading to the left now.

Unusual that a straight through road gets a name plate on a traffic signal as many places roads change names but only the cross street gets signed.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman65 on June 27, 2018, 05:20:15 PM
Unusual that a straight through road gets a name plate on a traffic signal as many places roads change names but only the cross street gets signed.

Yeah, that's odd. They should use an up arrow next to Ridge Pike to make it a bit clearer, since street blades perpendicular to through traffic indicate the name of the crossing street (as you well know). The way it's set up, the street blades are acting more like guide signs.

mrpablue

There are at least four of these about a mile or two away from the Caltrans building in Sacramento. They all say 17 mph.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: mrpablue on June 30, 2018, 08:34:27 PM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1766/29246135938_cbd05406c6_z.jpg
There are at least four of these about a mile or two away from the Caltrans building in Sacramento. They all say 17 mph.

Yikes. I'm almost certain that belongs in Worst Of.

hotdogPi

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 30, 2018, 08:37:02 PM
Quote from: mrpablue on June 30, 2018, 08:34:27 PM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1766/29246135938_cbd05406c6_z.jpg

Yikes. I'm almost certain that belongs in Worst Of.

I don't see why it would be anywhere near the worst. The overall design isn't that bad. The speed limit isn't a multiple of 5, but that doesn't make it bad, either.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Big John

^^And in negative contrast clearview.  Since when is clearview used on California.

jakeroot

Quote from: Big John on June 30, 2018, 08:45:53 PM
^^And in negative contrast clearview.  Since when is clearview used on California.

Clearview alone should not be a qualifier for worst-of (if that's what you're getting at).

Clearview has been used, but only once by Caltrans IIRC.

mrpablue

jakeroot

Quote from: mrpablue on June 30, 2018, 10:14:03 PM
Should I have blurred the license plate?

Absolutely not. Only cops have the power to look up plates; no idea why this country is so into blurring them. There's no reasonable expectation of privacy in public.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.