News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Hampshire

Started by 74/171FAN, June 17, 2009, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

^^ Vermont hasn't announced anything either.

vdeane

Quote from: froggie on December 07, 2018, 07:01:54 PM
^^ Vermont hasn't announced anything either.
Wasn't there an article or something posted to the forum a while ago?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

That was an article about how the Governor and transportation commissioner are opposed to changing to mile-based exits.

vdeane

Quote from: froggie on December 07, 2018, 09:54:20 PM
That was an article about how the Governor and transportation commissioner are opposed to changing to mile-based exits.
Found it:
Quote from: jcroyer80 on April 12, 2018, 04:21:59 PM
Noticed in the most recent STP that Vermont has allocated money in fiscal year 2018 and 2019 for "Public Awareness and Preparedness campaign for replacement of existing sequential Interstate exit signs with referential (mile marker) exit signs."

In the FY2019 Transportation Plan, as recommended by the Governor, construction costs for the "Replacement of Existing Sequential Exit Signs with Referential Exit Signs" are listed for FY 2020 ($145,000) and FY 2021 ($475,000).   
I wonder if a certain email sent after this post tipped off the governor?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

I actually never got around to sending that email.  Was thinking it, but never fully drafted it.

jon daly

Quote from: SidS1045 on February 17, 2015, 01:38:45 PM

It surprises me that tax-hostile New Hampshire even went for that four-cent increase, but I guess it shows how desperate they were to get that project funded and finished.

It does seem less libertarian. I was in Portsmouth this week and bought a lighter at a Rite Aid. The clerk asked me for Photo ID. I'm in my 50s.

Swimming in this thread I see that the Long Bridge on Bypass 1 was recently finished. There's still construction south of there near the traffic circle. It's funny the businesses that you see on state lines. I assume that Maine has a sales tax, but the outlet stores are in Kittery. Bypass 1 has some adult bookstores. Doesn't New Hampshire have the Internet?

roadman

Quote from: jon daly on May 10, 2019, 07:08:44 AM
It does seem less libertarian. I was in Portsmouth this week and bought a lighter at a Rite Aid. The clerk asked me for Photo ID. I'm in my 50s.

Rite-Aid company policy perhaps?
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jon daly

Quote from: roadman on May 10, 2019, 09:09:22 AM
Quote from: jon daly on May 10, 2019, 07:08:44 AM

Rite-Aid company policy perhaps?

Could be. All the ones near me became Walgreens a while back.

CanesFan27

In my opinion, New Hampshire State Route 112 from Swiftwater to North Woodstock is an overlooked New England scenic drive.  Although not as popular as the Kancamagus Highway that NH 112 follows as it continues east over the White Mountains, this western segment of NH 112 still has amazing scenic views especially in the fall.  I thoroughly enjoyed this drive in the autumns of 2003 and 05.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2019/07/a-scenic-drive-along-nh-112.html

SectorZ

Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 15, 2019, 08:29:18 PM
In my opinion, New Hampshire State Route 112 from Swiftwater to North Woodstock is an overlooked New England scenic drive.  Although not as popular as the Kancamagus Highway that NH 112 follows as it continues east over the White Mountains, this western segment of NH 112 still has amazing scenic views especially in the fall.  I thoroughly enjoyed this drive in the autumns of 2003 and 05.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2019/07/a-scenic-drive-along-nh-112.html

It is an undervalued stretch of roadway for scenery due to the side east of I-93 getting all the attention. Awesome road for cycling because the traffic is less (in some cases much less), and my own personal speed record of 57 MPH occurred on the downhill east from Kinsman Notch. Easier drive for someone who wants the scenery but is intimidated by the challenging curves on the Kanc.

PHLBOS

With all the recent hub-bub about MA finally (re)starting its interchange number conversion; NH appears to be joining the band-wagon as well.

NH could change way highway exits numbered

Quote from: WMUR ArticleThe proposal to number exits based on mile markers, rather than sequentially, has been endorsed by the New Hampshire Department of Transportation.

DOT officials said the state could lose federal highway money if it doesn't make the change. The proposal would be part of the state's next 10-year highway plan and could be considered by the Executive Council as early as next week.

"Every one of those signs has a cost that goes with it, the work that has to be done, so I imagine we will be rolling out a plan over that 10-year window to do that," said Eileen Meaney, of the DOT.

Meaney said the proposal could take up to a year to work its way through the Legislature.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 21, 2019, 02:05:31 PM
With all the recent hub-bub about MA finally (re)starting its interchange number conversion; NH appears to be joining the band-wagon as well.

NH could change way highway exits numbered

Quote from: WMUR ArticleThe proposal to number exits based on mile markers, rather than sequentially, has been endorsed by the New Hampshire Department of Transportation.

DOT officials said the state could lose federal highway money if it doesn't make the change. The proposal would be part of the state's next 10-year highway plan and could be considered by the Executive Council as early as next week.

"Every one of those signs has a cost that goes with it, the work that has to be done, so I imagine we will be rolling out a plan over that 10-year window to do that," said Eileen Meaney, of the DOT.

Meaney said the proposal could take up to a year to work its way through the Legislature.

Once again, they forgot that Vermont also uses the same system as New Hampshire and Delaware.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on November 21, 2019, 02:39:52 PMOnce again, they forgot that Vermont also uses the same system as New Hampshire and Delaware.
In another thread, it was mentioned that VT 289 has mile-marker-based interchange numbering; after doing some quick research/digging, such is true & is based on future extensions of the highway.

Since the opening of the new US 301 earlier this year; it can be no longer said that DE does not have any mile-marker-based interchange numbering.  Yes, I'm aware that DE 1 has km-based exit numbering.

That said & at present, only MA & NH don't have any highways with mile marker-based interchange numbering yet.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

VT is not only mile-based on VT 279, but they have announced that they're going to be switching everything over in the next couple years.

At this point in time, NH is the only state with only sequential numbers AND no plan to convert. DE has sequential numbering on its Interstates with no plan to convert anything, but US 301 and DE 1 are distance-based. CT, NY, RI have active conversion programs. I should note that a handful of other states have sequential numbers in a few places (notably GA and NJ), but said roads are a minority in those states and include no Interstates other than the NJ Turnpike.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Duke87

Don't get too excited. This is only a legislative proposal that hasn't even gone to the floor for debate yet.

The vast majority of legislative proposals do not become law.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: cl94 on November 21, 2019, 05:49:40 PM
I should note that a handful of other states have sequential numbers in a few places (notably GA and NJ), but said roads are a minority in those states and include no Interstates other than the NJ Turnpike.

Also includes the Baltimore Beltway (I-695).  VT 289 is the highway in VT that is mileage based.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

SectorZ

Quote from: Duke87 on November 21, 2019, 06:18:48 PM
Don't get too excited. This is only a legislative proposal that hasn't even gone to the floor for debate yet.

I bet ones that cost 10% of what they should to remove the threat of losing all federal money get priority treatment.

froggie

Quote from: cl94 on November 21, 2019, 05:49:40 PM
VT is not only mile-based on VT 279, but they have announced that they're going to be switching everything over in the next couple years.

I'm not convinced yet that it's actually the case, especially given how adamant their sign engineer was to me a few years ago about not changing over.  For now, it's just speculation from one line-item in the STIP.

(and as jp said, 289, not 279)

Rothman

Quote from: SectorZ on November 21, 2019, 08:56:44 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on November 21, 2019, 06:18:48 PM

I bet ones that cost 10% of what they should to remove the threat of losing all federal money get priority treatment.
It is still federal funding that could be used for other purposes -- like for paving or bridges.

I still wonder about the seriousness of the threat.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

PHLBOS

The below-article only applies towards the Everett Turnpike.
Earlier-posted NECN Article has since been replaced with WCVB Article

Council votes to remove Merrimack tolls on Everett Turnpike

Quote from: WCVB ArticleNew Hampshire's Executive Council voted Monday to lower the Merrimack tolls on the Everett Turnpike to zero.
The tolls, which are placed on the exit ramp on the northbound side of the highway, and the entrance ramp on the southbound side of the road, were installed 30 years ago.
The Governor's Advisory Commission on Intermodal Transportation voted 4-1 earlier this month in favor of reducing the Exit 11 toll rate to zero.

Drivers currently pay 50 cents on the northbound off-ramps and southbound on-ramps at both exits 10 and 11 in Merrimack.

The vote will allow the toll rate to be set at zero, but the buildings used to collect tolls will remain in place.

Only a change to New Hampshire state law would allow them to be removed.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 26, 2019, 01:47:38 PM
The below-article only applies towards the Everett Turnpike.
NH Council Votes to Remove Turnpike Tolls
Quote from: NECN ArticleNew Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu's advisory board has voted to eliminate tolls on one of the state's heavily traveled highways.

The Executive Council voted Monday to get rid of the Merrimack tolls at the Everett Turnpike.

The highway links Massachusetts and the New Hampshire cities of Manchester and Concord.
The tollbooths that were built 30 years ago will remain but starting Jan. 1, motorists will be allowed to drive through without paying a toll.

Another misleading click-bait headline.  The Merrimack tolls are on the exit ramps, not the mainline.  They've been restricted to Cars Only with E-ZPass or exact change only from 9 pm to 5 am for many years now.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on November 26, 2019, 02:06:09 PM
NECN Article has since been replaced with one from another source covering the same subject.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

DRMan

Regarding the new exit numbers, I'm curious about how NHDOT will handle NH 101. The main limited-access portion starts in Manchester at I-93 at mile marker 100, even though it's roughly 60 miles from Keene where the road begins. Will they use the existing mile markers (meaning the current Exit 1 would be Exit 101)? Or come up with a different scheme? Or skip NH 101 altogether and stick with the sequential exit numbers? And, will the I-95 exit (and the interstate-to-interstate exits around the state) get a number?

The Ghostbuster

Will New Hampshire convert to mileage-based exit numbers? It was my understanding that New Hampshire got federal permission to convert to mileage-based, but has no start date planned. If such a conversion takes place, I believe all routes that have exit numbers (the Interstates, the portions of the Everett Turnpike that are not part of 93 and 293, the Spaulding Turnpike, and also State Highway 101) should be mileage-based. As for State Highway 101, I believe all exit numbers should be numbered based on the distance from 101's western terminus at State Highways 9, 10, and 12 in Keene.

Alps

Quote from: DRMan on November 27, 2019, 10:26:59 AM
Regarding the new exit numbers, I'm curious about how NHDOT will handle NH 101. The main limited-access portion starts in Manchester at I-93 at mile marker 100, even though it's roughly 60 miles from Keene where the road begins. Will they use the existing mile markers (meaning the current Exit 1 would be Exit 101)? Or come up with a different scheme? Or skip NH 101 altogether and stick with the sequential exit numbers? And, will the I-95 exit (and the interstate-to-interstate exits around the state) get a number?

I think the MP 100 was due to a fudge of where the ultimate NH 101 freeway would begin when it's extended westward. Since I don't think that's actually happening anymore, may as well use actual mileposts. (Unless it's 100 to the border - that also seems too long - if they were thinking of extending 101 to the state line.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.