News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 16, 2018, 12:21:55 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 16, 2018, 11:23:42 AM
Should we not start a subtopic titled DOT Regions?

Not that I mind it here as its good stuff but it is kind of derailed after 7 posts away from the OP.

The new I-95/Turnpike interchange should be a part of the new District 7.

2 miles of road deserves its own district?

Roadsguy

Quote from: qguy on June 16, 2018, 10:30:39 AM
Quote from: webny99 on June 15, 2018, 08:21:03 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 09, 2018, 11:13:37 PM
Should just renumber District 12 to District 7 and bam, problem solved: 11 districts numbered 1 through 11.

Yes, but then 7 would not be adjacent to 6 and 8, as it should be. Right now, it's easy (despite the absence of 7) to follow the logical clockwise numbering.

District 7 is reserved for the PA Turnpike when it is absorbed into PennDOT.  :rofl:

Coincidentally, Turnpike roads are numbered in the PennDOT system beginning with a 7 already.

I agree with splitting off the thread, though.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 16, 2018, 03:40:29 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 16, 2018, 12:21:55 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 16, 2018, 11:23:42 AM
Should we not start a subtopic titled DOT Regions?

Not that I mind it here as its good stuff but it is kind of derailed after 7 posts away from the OP.
The new I-95/Turnpike interchange should be a part of the new District 7.
2 miles of road deserves its own district?

'Twas a (bad) joke trying to tie in the off-topic district bits with the actual topic.

Roadwarriors79

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 16, 2018, 07:43:30 AM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 10, 2018, 10:40:47 PM
Five years eh? What did the NJ Turnpike Authority get done during the same amount of time? (hint: more then an interchange and some signing)

When it comes to reasonably big highway projects, it seems that PTC operates with the following  speeds:

1. Slow
2. Slower
3. Slowest
4. Stop

Give them a little credit. From Congress dictating where I-95 should be rerouted in PA and NJ to two ramps being built to close the I-95 Gap is going on 36 YEARS now. I'm just wondering if something else will happen to delay this opening from "Fall 2018" (hopefully).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on June 16, 2018, 08:28:18 PM
Five years eh? What did the NJ Turnpike Authority get done during the same amount of time? (hint: more then an interchange and some signing)

When it comes to reasonably big highway projects, it seems that PTC operates with the following  speeds:

1. Slow
2. Slower
3. Slowest
4. Stop

Give them a little credit. From Congress dictating where I-95 should be rerouted in PA and NJ to two ramps being built to close the I-95 Gap is going on 36 YEARS now. I'm just wondering if something else will happen to delay this opening from "Fall 2018" (hopefully).

Last I read, PTC says the ramps will open to complete I-95 on August 25, 2018.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

theroadwayone

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 17, 2018, 11:32:20 PM

1. Slow
2. Slower
3. Slowest
4. Stop

If that turns out to be right, we should all celebrate August 25, from here on out, as "I-95 Day," remembering the day our longest north-south interstate became one route from Florida to Maine.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on June 16, 2018, 08:28:18 PMGive them a little credit. From Congress dictating where I-95 should be rerouted in PA and NJ to two ramps being built to close the I-95 Gap is going on 36 YEARS now.
Truth be told that particular I-95 gap existed much longer than that.  As a matter of fact, 36 years ago, there still was another gap along I-95 (although a much shorter one... roughly 2 miles) that still existed in Peabody, MA.  That one would be fully closed circa 1988 with the completion of the I-95/MA 128 interchange.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 18, 2018, 09:34:44 AM
Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on June 16, 2018, 08:28:18 PMGive them a little credit. From Congress dictating where I-95 should be rerouted in PA and NJ to two ramps being built to close the I-95 Gap is going on 36 YEARS now.
Truth be told that particular I-95 gap existed much longer than that.  As a matter of fact, 36 years ago, there still was another gap along I-95 (although a much shorter one... roughly 2 miles) that still existed in Peabody, MA.  That one would be fully closed circa 1988 with the completion of the I-95/MA 128 interchange.

I-95 wasn't completed in Philly until 1985, and north of Miami until 1987.

So, once you start factoring in the other gaps, it's *only* taken 31 years for I-95 to be fully completed as one route.

Rothman

36 years ago?  1982?  I don't think the gap north of Freeport, ME on I-95 was completed back then (now I-295). :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 18, 2018, 09:40:32 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on June 18, 2018, 09:34:44 AM
I-95 wasn't completed in Philly until 1985, and north of Miami until 1987.
So, once you start factoring in the other gaps, it's *only* taken 31 years for I-95 to be fully completed as one route.

North Carolina in 1980, Virginia in 1982, and Maryland in 1985.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

KEVIN_224

I don't think it was a gap in Falmouth, ME. I-95 would be via the Falmouth Spur, then north on today's I-295. These days the spur is unsigned I-495.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Rothman on June 18, 2018, 10:30:13 AM
36 years ago?  1982?  I don't think the gap north of Freeport, ME on I-95 was completed back then (now I-295). :D
I believe that the then-I-95 gap in Maine was in Freeport itself... between current I-295 Exits 17 & 20.  That missing piece was completed sometime during the 1990s.

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on June 18, 2018, 02:24:10 PM
I don't think it was a gap in Falmouth, ME. I-95 would be via the Falmouth Spur, then north on today's I-295. These days the spur is unsigned I-495.
See above, the then-I-95 gap was in Freeport; well north of Falmouth.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

1. Slow
2. Slower
3. Slowest
4. Stop

Who's organizing this meet?

briantroutman

^ If there's interest, I'll volunteer. This would be my first time hosting a meet–how many would be interested in attending? Provided that at least a few are interested, I'll start a thread for it.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: briantroutman on June 21, 2018, 11:18:20 AM
^ If there’s interest, I’ll volunteer. This would be my first time hosting a meet—how many would be interested in attending? Provided that at least a few are interested, I’ll start a thread for it.

If you have it opening weekend or the weekend after (Labor Day weekend) I won't be around, but I can suggest another nearby project that's so typical Jersey: The conversion of the White Horse Circle to a semi-roundabout (I believe not all entries will have to yield, preventing it from being a true roundabout).

Alps

^ If there's interest, I'll volunteer. This would be my first time hosting a meet–how many would be interested in attending? Provided that at least a few are interested, I'll start a thread for it.
Start the thread and they will come.

qguy

Quote from: Alps on June 21, 2018, 02:26:03 PM
Start the thread and they will come.

Count my son (roadsguy) and me in. [Insert disclaimer text regarding dates, factors beyond our control, etc., etc., here. ]

Roadsguy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 21, 2018, 12:16:13 PM

If you have it opening weekend or the weekend after (Labor Day weekend) I won't be around, but I can suggest another nearby project that's so typical Jersey: The conversion of the White Horse Circle to a semi-roundabout (I believe not all entries will have to yield, preventing it from being a true roundabout).

The plans I see for it from a simple Google search have all approaches yielding.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

akotchi

Count me in too.  Closest meet to my home.  I can help organize it, too.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadsguy on June 21, 2018, 06:44:38 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 21, 2018, 12:16:13 PM

The plans I see for it from a simple Google search have all approaches yielding.

Good. I think the original concept had a direction that didn't yield on entry.

PHLBOS

This project isn't too far from where I live either and I would be very much interested in attending (as long there is no other conflict(s) with the date selected).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

odditude

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 25, 2018, 10:14:26 AM
This project isn't too far from where I live either and I would be very much interested in attending (as long there is no other conflict(s) with the date selected).
i may be back up in the area that weekend. as long as the time doesn't conflict, I'd be in.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I have family over in the Main Line I can crash with, so if the meet is on for Aug. 25, I'm in.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

PHLBOS

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on June 25, 2018, 08:11:13 PM
I have family over in the Main Line I can crash with, so if the meet is on for Aug. 25, I'm in.
I don't believe that the interchange ramps will be open that early.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 26, 2018, 08:43:27 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on June 25, 2018, 08:11:13 PM
I don't believe that the interchange ramps will be open that early.

Know something we don't, Chris? Or are you just being a Nervous Nelly in reference to the PTC?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.