News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Cutout US 26 shield in the wild!

Started by Bickendan, May 08, 2014, 06:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bickendan

I didn't have time to pull out my camera upon seeing it, but there is at SW 6th Ave at Broadway in Portland a shield assembly with an I-405 and a (cutout) US 26 shield, replacing an older button copy sign.

hotdogPi

Is this any different from the cutout US 3 shields in Massachusetts?

(other than the number and location, obviously)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

corco

So did they just copy the far superior state to the east?

Or is it something different?

Bickendan

Quote from: corco on May 08, 2014, 07:12:24 PM
So did they just copy the far superior state to the east?

Or is it something different?
Similar setup, minus the third shield.
Facing west, the assembly has
...........---->
NORTH...|....WEST
(I-405)-----(US 26)
.....|...............|
.....|...............|

With the reverse just behind that facing east, coming off of Broadway.
I don't recall the numbers being obnoxiously large, but it's hard to tell having just caught a glimpse of it.
Also, Idaho's landlocked. Oregon is superior just by having a coastline ;)

oscar

So the one spotted in Portland is a borderless cutout (meant to go on a BGS), rather than like the ones in California, or Virginia (also bordered cutouts, without the "US" on Caltrans-spec markers)?

I see such borderless cutouts in places not known as cutout heavens, such as Indiana, or even in Maryland (just saw a pair at the exit from the park-and-ride at the junction of MD 424 with US 50/301).  I've always thought those were contractor errors, as the US 26 cutout in Portland and the one in the photo from Idaho might be.

I know Oregon resists "Californication", but Caltrans-spec cutouts would be a nice import.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Bickendan

The Caltrans spec would be ideal, but I'll take the borderless ones any day over the black square variety. I'll attempt to get a photo next week.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.