Seattle-area and Washington photos

Started by Bruce, May 21, 2014, 06:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on July 30, 2018, 09:24:48 PM
Shouldn't these photos be in the mass transit section?

His photos fit the subject of the thread ("Seattle-area photos").

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: jakeroot on July 30, 2018, 10:06:20 PM

A thread on a road based forum that has a section dedicated to mass transit. I would think the pictures would be related to roads. I like the pictures and enjoy seeing them, but I think they would be more appropriate in the mass transit section.

jakeroot

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on July 30, 2018, 10:53:45 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 30, 2018, 10:06:20 PM

A thread on a road based forum that has a section dedicated* to mass transit. I would think the pictures would be related to roads. I like the pictures and enjoy seeing them, but I think they would be more appropriate in the mass transit section.

*dedicated to the discussion of mass transit. This is not a really discussion thread, so it would be inappropriate in the Mass Transit board IMO. Bruce does have a Mass Transit thread for Seattle, but the photos in there are only of transit. This particular thread has many types of photos, as you can see on previous pages. Never mind that divvying up photos based solely on their content is a giant waste of time. Just keep scrolling if a particular set doesn't pique your interest.

While the description of this board does include "road-related photos", most types of transit use roads, or at least their ROW, so it's still fair-game here in my opinion.

Plutonic Panda

I am interested and do enjoy his photos, but I stand by my comment of photos of mass transit being more appropriate for a thread in the mass transit section. I'll just agree to disagree I guess. :)

Plutonic Panda

Edit: I just noticed this isn't in the Northwest section anymore. That is because I have commented on this thread before, I am subscribed to it automatically? Am I crazy, or did this thread used to be on the Pacafic Northwest Section?

jakeroot

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on July 30, 2018, 11:21:13 PM
I am interested and do enjoy his photos, but I stand by my comment of photos of mass transit being more appropriate for a thread in the mass transit section. I'll just agree to disagree I guess. :)

Very well.

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on July 30, 2018, 11:22:51 PM
Edit: I just noticed this isn't in the Northwest section anymore. That is because I have commented on this thread before, I am subscribed to it automatically? Am I crazy, or did this thread used to be on the Pacafic Northwest Section?

Doesn't look like it. Probably because photo-based threads generally go in the photos board. ;-)

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: jakeroot on July 30, 2018, 11:29:33 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on July 30, 2018, 11:21:13 PM

Very well.

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on July 30, 2018, 11:22:51 PM

Doesn't look like it. Probably because photo-based threads generally go in the photos board. ;-)
LOL! I must be crazy. I feel like a fool. Carry on!

Bruce

The air quality in Seattle has dropped to record-worse levels, rivaling those of Beijing and New Delhi, due to wildfire smoke drifting south from British Columbia. Many of the most iconic views in Seattle are now shrouded in haze:

Wildfire smoke from Kerry Park by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Wildfire smoke from Bhy Kracke Park by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Wildfire smoke from West Seattle by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Wildfire smoke from West Seattle Water Taxi by SounderBruce, on Flickr

3rd Avenue, wildfire smoke by SounderBruce, on Flickr

It wasn't much better in Bellevue.

Bellevue wildfire smoke, looking south by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Bellevue wildfire smoke, looking east by SounderBruce, on Flickr

And a comparison shot between July 31 (a somewhat hazy day) and August 15:

Bellevue wildfire smoke comparison by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Bruce

A quick update for Northgate Link: Platform-level steel at Northgate Stations has gone up, the parking stalls are striped, and an escalator/stair bank is going in on the north side.

Northgate Station and Metro bus by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Northgate Station structure, seen from northeast by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Northgate Station escalator by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Northgate Station platform level by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Northgate Station by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Northgate Station garage by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Northgate Station by SounderBruce, on Flickr

The next escalator bank will be connected to the mezzanine above the future bus bays.

Northgate Station mezzanine by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Meanwhile at Roosevelt Station, the south entrance has its steel, while the north entrance is still waiting.

Roosevelt Station south entrance by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Roosevelt Station north entrance by SounderBruce, on Flickr

U District Station is lagging behind, but has a big concrete pour scheduled for later next week. We should see it at street level soon enough.

U District Station, August 2018 by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Bruce

A quick look at the new passenger terminal being constructed at Paine Field. It's expected to open soon and be served by West Coast and Midwest flights from Alaska Airlines and United Airlines.

It's a short walk from a new BRT station (to begin service in February) and will eventually be connected by light rail in 2036.

Paine Field passenger terminal under construction by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Paine Field passenger terminal under construction by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Swift Green Line at Paine Field by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Flying over Swift by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Bruce

A few tunnel pictures from yesterday's event.

jakeroot

Jesus Bruce, you're going the wrong way down that tunnel!

Still trying to figure out what happened to the whole ticket thing.

ErmineNotyours

I jinxed it.  Every time I print out a ticket, they never ask for it.

Bruce

A few shots from today's snowstorm:

Bruce

A few photos from today:

The last few pictures were taken aboard the Route 90 bus, which only shows up during snow events. A rare treat!

Bruce

I went around the three main demolition sites for the Alaskan Way Viaduct yesterday to snag some pictures. Things looked pretty active at all three, though the equipment was mostly idle at two of them.

North end

The view from 1st Avenue and Battery Street at the north end of the viaduct:

And looking at a section crossing over Western Avenue at Bell Street (which include some barbed wire fencing):

Some of these machines have water hoses built in, so an extra worker to spray down the debris (and dust) isn't even needed:

Columbia Street ramp

Note the office of our favorite new source off to the left:

Alaskan Way & Pike-Pine

From MarketFront/Steinbrueck Park:

Dearborn Ramp

The new northbound offramp from SR 99 to Dearborn Street also opened yesterday, with a shoulder/bus lane. The ramp is designed to withstand a major earthquake with shape-memory alloy bars and flexible concrete (more details here).

jakeroot

Great photos Bruce!

They're really knocking it out quick. Very interesting the pattern in which they are demolishing the viaduct. Seems to be almost random. I figured it would go one end to the other. and although it largely appears to be going north to south, there has then some demolition at the south end already, so I expected them to start there.

Nice to see some buses using that Dearborn exit. I can only imagine that particular ramp becoming quite a popular route for future bus lines. I'm not sure what routes currently use the ramp. The ones that previously used Seneca?

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on February 21, 2019, 06:05:46 PM
Nice to see some buses using that Dearborn exit. I can only imagine that particular ramp becoming quite a popular route for future bus lines. I'm not sure what routes currently use the ramp. The ones that previously used Seneca?

Pretty much. I saw the C Line, a few 50-series routes, and the 120 all on the ramp, so I imagine that they'll all transition to it. I did hear a few trips skipping the ramp on the first day because drivers weren't familiar with the change, but it's been smoothed over.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on February 22, 2019, 12:31:34 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 21, 2019, 06:05:46 PM

Pretty much. I saw the C Line, a few 50-series routes, and the 120 all on the ramp, so I imagine that they'll all transition to it. I did hear a few trips skipping the ramp on the first day because drivers weren't familiar with the change, but it's been smoothed over.

Gotcha. I think quite a few people are still confused about the ramp. Yesterday while driving northbound on 99, I was one of only maybe three cars in the right exit-only lane for Dearborn (in the stretch that was previously a bus-only lane) until the very last second. Granted, there's never been an exit there before, but I suspect more than a few people who originally exited at Seneca probably mean to exit at Dearborn/Alaskan Way, but aren't thinking that far ahead.

Bruce

A few shots from an outing in Sultan, WA yesterday. It's a classic mountain town nestled along US 2 on the way to Stevens Pass.

US 2 cuts through the south side of the town, and has a single traffic light.

This bridge carries US 2 across the Sultan River, a minor tributary of the Skykomish River, which the highway follows into the mountains.

AsphaltPlanet

I don't always agree with your point of view Bruce, but I have to say, I always enjoy your photos.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Bruce

Another quick shot, this time of the SR 520 Floating Bridge and Downtown Bellevue:

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 28, 2019, 11:10:54 AM
I don't always agree with your point of view Bruce, but I have to say, I always enjoy your photos.

Thanks. It is nice to be on this forum and run into people who have opposing viewpoints but are respectful about it.

Bruce

On Monday morning, the first commercial flights in over 50 years took off from Paine Field in Everett, about 30 miles north of Seattle.

A private company built a two-gate terminal at the airport, which is primarily used to deliver Boeing's widebody jetliners, and had planned for a mid-February opening that was pushed back by the federal government shutdown. It was a happy coincidence that a major snowstorm arrived that week, so flights would have been cancelled. Instead, the opening day was a sunny and crisp late-winter day with a full view of the Olympic Mountains to the west.

The airport will have regular passenger service from Alaska Airlines and United Airlines, but the former will be operating alone for a few weeks. Both airlines will use smaller jets (Embraer E175s, mostly) to serve destinations on the West Coast and hubs in Denver and Chicago. It allows residents of Snohomish County (pop. 800K) and surrounding areas to avoid congestion in Seattle when traveling to Sea-Tac Airport, which is already overburdened by its record-breaking passenger counts and lack of space to really expand.

The revival of passenger commercial service has been fairly controversial. Mukilteo, the suburban city to the west of the airport, had successfully stalled plans for well over 40 years through environmental litigation and federal appeals. The county council finally signed off on a plan in 2015 and Mukilteo's appeal failed, so construction on the terminal began as scheduled in June 2017.

Anyway, onto the pictures!

Here's the terminal itself:

Check in area:

Digital screen with every departing flight (and plenty of room for more):

Baggage claim:

The terminal, which has lounge-style seating and a ton of power and USB outlets.

There's also two fireplaces and two displays with historic artifacts.

One of the two (actually 2.5) gates:

There's also glass jetways:

Ceremonial Flight Number 1 to Portland:

Flight Number 2 to Las Vegas:

An airport so small that you can see the front door and parking lot all the way from the gate:

And beyond the gate, there is a future BRT station that will open on March 24.

abefroman329

That departures board is gorgeous.

Bruce

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 05, 2019, 06:37:30 AM
That departures board is gorgeous.

It's a digital replica of the classic Solari boards. We need way more of these in non-essential areas of airports, just for their aesthetic quality.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.