News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Largest municipalities/incorporated places without a state highway/road/route?

Started by geocachingpirate, March 10, 2015, 06:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geocachingpirate

I live in Clemmons, NC, a village of nearly 20,000 people, and realized we don't have a NC state highway in city limits. What are other large towns without a state highway? Specifically ones in your state. 
Hopefully this hasn't been discussed before, or that it is simply a boring/bad topic. 
Dave Thompson (Facebook poster on The Charlotte Observer)-
"They should have a ceremonial opening at which all employees of the NCDOT must wear paper bags over their heads."

NE2

Clemmons has several federal routes and a number of secondary state roads. I'd be a lot more interested in any place without any state maintained highway (or even without any primary state highway).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Pink Jazz

Queen Creek, Arizona with a population of 26,361 as of the 2010 Census does not have any state highways serving the town directly.  Nearest state route is SR 24, to the north in Mesa.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

geocachingpirate

Quote from: NE2 on March 10, 2015, 07:02:58 PM
Clemmons has several federal routes and a number of secondary state roads. I'd be a lot more interested in any place without any state maintained highway (or even without any primary state highway).

Oh, I understand that of course.  I am just interested in the primary state routes. Why didn't I state that like you?  :banghead:
Dave Thompson (Facebook poster on The Charlotte Observer)-
"They should have a ceremonial opening at which all employees of the NCDOT must wear paper bags over their heads."

corco

Using NE2s prompt because there are hundreds of populated cities with US routes or interstates but no primary state highways in the US:

Point Roberts WA and Alta WY  :bigass:

Montana's system is so extensive that there isn't much. Fort Smith (pop 161) is probably the biggest. Wyoming does a really good job with coverage too.  Idaho has dozens of well-known place names that don't have state highway access, but I can't think of one larger than Garden Valley (394) off the top of my head.

White Swan, Washington is fairly large with 3,033, and it's unique because it had a state highway until 1992.

Brandon

Just looking at a map of Illinois, we have a very small number of municipalities (cities, villages, and the rare town) without a state route (interstate/tollway/US highway/state route) of some kind within the municipal boundaries.

Here's the list I found thus far:

Cleveland: 188
Greenwood: 255
Trout Valley: 537
Oakwood Hills: 2,083
Evanston: 74,486
Merrionette Park: 1,900
Burnham: 4,206
Flossmoor: 9,464 (Governors Highway may be an unmarked state route)
Jerome: 1,656
Leland Grove: 1,503
Grandview: 1,441
East Carondelet: 499

Of these, Evanston is the undisputed winner.  Evanston used to have state routes within its municipal boundaries (IL-42 being one of them), but has not had one for at least three decades.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Pink Jazz

If the definition of state highway excludes Interstates and US Routes, Avondale, Arizona with a population of 76,238 is only served by I-10 (although Loop 101 comes very close but does not actually enter or touch the city limits).

Zeffy

If US Routes don't count... Hillsborough, New Jersey with a population of nearly 40k is not served by any state routes.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Zeffy on March 10, 2015, 07:54:01 PM
If US Routes don't count... Hillsborough, New Jersey with a population of nearly 40k is not served by any state routes.

Hoboken at 50,005 beats you: doesn't have any state routes, state-maintained routes, or state-numbered routes (not even any 500 county roads).

cl94

Long Beach has none, partially because it is relatively isolated from the state road network and has no limited-access highways.

The remaining few New York has (at least that I can think of) are much smaller than anything already listed. Every portion of the state is incorporated as a town, village, or city (villages are incorporated on top of towns) and even the unincorporated hamlets (unincorporated as in not a city or village) of any decent size typically have a state highway.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on March 10, 2015, 11:11:11 PM
Long Beach has none, partially because it is relatively isolated from the state road network and has no limited-access highways.

The remaining few New York has (at least that I can think of) are much smaller than anything already listed. Every portion of the state is incorporated as a town, village, or city (villages are incorporated on top of towns) and even the unincorporated hamlets (unincorporated as in not a city or village) of any decent size typically have a state highway.

True if we're talking population, but if we're looking at area then any state with civil towns/townships is likely to have numerous contenders (New York included). Of course, while these are municipalities, they are arguably not incorporated places (not "incorporated" by NY terminology, and not "places" by Census terminology).

Besides towns, in NY there are numerous incorporated villages, particularly on Long Island, that have no state roads whatsoever. Most of these have small populations, but some have extensive areas (Lloyd Harbor, for example). The most populous I can find offhand is Garden City, at about 22,000.

(Garden City is famous for being the seat of Nassau County's government, but not the Nassau County seat.)

roadman65

Clark, NJ population of 14, 500, though not as much as Hoboken has no state highway, and not even a 500 series route either.

I used to feel left out growing up there as all of our neighbors had state highways transiting them.  All except Winfield, which was smaller than Clark and barely a township as it was measured more in acreage then square miles.  Even some large estates have more land than it, but nonetheless, the township had no major state routes although the Garden State Parkway passed through it, but its un-numbered except on paper.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

golden eagle

pianocello

In Iowa, it's Johnston, population 17K. The southern border goes up to the ROW of I-35/80 in a few places, but never actually crosses it.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

lordsutch

Brandon

Quote from: golden eagle on March 11, 2015, 12:27:39 AM
For Mississippi, it'd be Gulfport (pop. 71K+).

What about US-49 and US-90?  Those are both state roads.

I'm still waiting to see if anything beats Evanston, Illinois at 74,486.  There are no current state roads of any kind (state route, US highway, or interstate) within Evanston's municipal boundaries.  IL-42 and IL-58 used to, but were removed decades ago.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

freebrickproductions

The only town I can think of in Alabama that is incorporated and doesn't have any State/Federal Highways serving it is the town of Eva, AL with a population of 519 as of 2010.
The only roads serving it are county routes.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

clong

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 11, 2015, 10:36:58 AM
The only town I can think of in Alabama that is incorporated and doesn't have any State/Federal Highways serving it is the town of Eva, AL with a population of 519 as of 2010.
Pleasant Grove, AL - a Birmingham suburb - with a population of 10,110 does not have a State or Federal Highway within its city limits. Alabama 269 is adjacent to a small finger of land that was annexed by Pleasant Grove.

jeffandnicole

Burlington Twp, NJ, population slightly over 20,000, does not have a state route...under NJDOT jurisdiction.   NJ 700, better known as the NJ Turnpike, does clip Burlington Twp.  So use your judgement whether it counts or not.

What about NJ 413, the continuation of PA 413?  That's entirely within Burlington City.

Camden, NJ, population about 77,000, amazingly almost fits into this category.  Just a small piece of NJ 168 - about 1/3 of a mile, enters Camden.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: clong on March 11, 2015, 11:01:02 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 11, 2015, 10:36:58 AM
Pleasant Grove, AL - a Birmingham suburb - with a population of 10,110 does not have a State or Federal Highway within its city limits. Alabama 269 is adjacent to a small finger of land that was annexed by Pleasant Grove.
Hueytown, AL (just to the SW of Pleasant Grove) also doesn't have any state or federal highways either.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

TheStranger

California's largest city without a numbered route running through it is Huntington Park (58K) near Los Angeles, in part because the Route 90 freeway gap from Marina Del Rey to Orange County will never be completed.
Chris Sampang

golden eagle

Quote from: Brandon on March 11, 2015, 06:36:47 AM

49 & 90 are federal highways.

After further review, 605 does run through Gulfport. I was looking at an old map that didn't 605 signed. It appears now that the largest city without a state route is Clinton (about 26K).

Brandon

Quote from: golden eagle on March 11, 2015, 11:48:21 PM
Quote from: Brandon on March 11, 2015, 06:36:47 AM

49 & 90 are federal highways.

After further review, 605 does run through Gulfport. I was looking at an old map that didn't 605 signed. It appears now that the largest city without a state route is Clinton (about 26K).

As far as I'm concerned, "state road" means anything maintained by the state, be it interstate, US highway (not federal highway), or state route.  It may even include an unmarked state road.

kphoger

Same here. An Interstate highway and an unsigned secondary state route are both state highways. But then what do we do with Minnesota? (CSAH)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.