AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Things to do (CHM)  (Read 46896 times)

cbeach40

• We've got rocks and trees and trees and rocks

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:07:32 PM
Re: Things to do (CHM)
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2015, 03:31:55 AM »

Didn't know that it was also Highway 1 in some records.  Is the QEW the reason there was never an ON 1?

No, the decision to omit 1 was made longer before the idea of the QEW was ever conceived.
and waterrrrrrr!

SignGeek101

• Winnipeg sign geek and civil engineering student.

• Last Login: July 19, 2018, 09:05:19 PM
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2015, 12:10:51 PM »

Didn't know that it was also Highway 1 in some records.  Is the QEW the reason there was never an ON 1?

No, the decision to omit 1 was made longer before the idea of the QEW was ever conceived.

I always wondered why ON 17 (Trans Canada main route) was never ON 1. It would be nice for the whole country to assign the Trans Canada as such.

yakra

• Last Login: February 13, 2024, 06:39:12 PM
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2015, 01:43:13 AM »

Because New England Interstate 1.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

cbeach40

• We've got rocks and trees and trees and rocks

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:07:32 PM
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2015, 10:08:01 AM »

I always wondered why ON 17 (Trans Canada main route) was never ON 1. It would be nice for the whole country to assign the Trans Canada as such.

Because
1. that route was Highway 17 long before the TCH was ever routed onto it
2. The TCH route is a non-entity in this province. Even in areas where it's the dominant route, it's not referred to as such. The only reason it's signed at all is to provide continuity, not because anyone really cares about it.
and waterrrrrrr!

oscar

• Last Login: Today at 01:35:29 AM
    • my Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2015, 10:12:57 AM »

Because
1. that route was Highway 17 long before the TCH was ever routed onto it
2. The TCH route is a non-entity in this province. Even in areas where it's the dominant route, it's not referred to as such. The only reason it's signed at all is to provide continuity, not because anyone really cares about it.

Also, as for numbering the entire TCH system as highway 1 -- the TCH has multiple branches, with each province except PEI and NL having two or more different TCH routes.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.