AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Travel Mapping User Discussion  (Read 12285 times)

Jim

• Check out https://travelmapping.net

• Last Login: Today at 10:01:00 PM
    • Travel and Other Pictures
Travel Mapping User Discussion
« on: August 06, 2015, 07:03:43 PM »

I thought I'd start a thread for users of the in-development Travel Mapping system to discuss whatever they want to discuss related to the project.

As I've mentioned in other threads, I'm just back from a 3-week trip, covering a little short of 6000 miles.  I'm pretty sure it's the single trip that increased my "clinched" mileage the most since I started participating in CHM and now Travel Mapping.  My overall stats went up by 2,016 miles.  I certainly had other trips before I started tracking this stuff that had more new miles in one shot, but not since I had a way to measure.

Some statistical highlights:

I had new clinchable mileage in 18 regions (16 U.S. states, 2 Canadian provinces).

I made a big jump in the cantch system (Trans-Canada Highways) from 16.1% to 27.2%, and in the canon system (Ontario Provincial Routes) from 0.6% to 15.3%.  Taking 417 and then 17 from the Ottawa area all the way to Thunder Bay for the first time will do that.

I passed the 79% mark for U.S. interstate mileage, now at 38,179, or 79.3%.  This was mostly from I-49's MO and AR segments.  Overall in the usai system, I went up from 262 "connected" routes traveled to 268, and the clinched count went from 159 to 168.  Most notably, I-81 is now complete.  It becomes my 3rd longest completed interstate behind I-90 and I-40.  However, when stat reports for the project get generated, it would show that I've completed the I-35 "connected segment" between the Twin Cities and DFW (separate because of the I-35E/I-35W splits in those areas) and the segment of I-95 south of the gap in NJ, but I have missing miles in other segments of those routes.

For usaus (U.S. Highways), I picked up about 450 new miles but did not travel any new routes and didn't pick up any complete clinches.

I got my first miles in usane (Nebraska State Highways) but it's only about 30 miles.  That did increase the number of active systems I've traveled to 52 of our 97 active systems.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

mapcat

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 12:36:28 PM
Re: Travel Mapping User Discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 01:28:06 PM »

My highlights since the demise of CHM:

8-day March trip that clinched several interstates and US highways.  I added about 3800 miles of new segments.  Most notable clinches: I-44, I-30, I-45, US-271, US-259.

12-day May trip that clinched a few 3dis and several more US highways, plus got me to the last 5 US highways I hadn't travelled on previously.  I added a little over 5000 miles of new segments.  Most notable clinches: US-69, US-136, US-400, US-189, US-550.

I also set up my final trip, date to be determined, to clinch the Ohio state route system.  All I have left is about 35 miles: the 2 routes on the Lake Erie islands, and 3 others on the way to the ferry.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 01:36:01 PM by mapcat »

english si

• Last Login: July 02, 2022, 05:33:16 AM
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 02:23:14 PM »

Since CHM froze I've mostly done stuff on the gbna1 unactivated system - epic 3-4 hour long walks in E/NE London (which was a part of the world I hadn't really been to before).

However last month I did a trip to Ireland (the data ingested on Travel Mapping) that saw me clinch about 80 miles of pavement in North Wales, and 0.1% of Irish roads - a tiny bit of road between two ferry terminals in Dublin that's part of E20.

english si

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 02:34:55 PM »

OK, here's a question that people might want to answer.

I have draft files for the following state highway systems: Indiana, Colorado and Wyoming. Which one do you want to be first?

SD Mapman

• The best pace is a pace, and today is a good day.

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 10:09:15 PM
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 02:53:23 PM »

I have draft files for the following state highway systems: Indiana, Colorado and Wyoming. Which one do you want to be first?
Wyoming!
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

ntallyn

• Last Login: August 27, 2021, 07:05:16 PM
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 06:51:22 PM »

I have a significant number of miles in both Colorado and Indiana. Indiana is probably the more difficult one to make sure I have right, and I probably won't be getting any Colorado miles any time in the near future. So I vote Indiana.

oscar

• Last Login: Today at 11:14:38 PM
    • my Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 07:17:30 PM »

Indiana is a huge gap in our state route sets (all the surrounding states are already covered), so I suggest making that first, even though I have mileage in all three states. It will be easier for me to tote up my mileage in all three, and all of us to provide comments, once we have our own highway browser up and running.

Vermont is a similar gap, and should be a priority to go live once we're activating new systems. CHM already has an older version of that route set online, so I already have draft list file entries close to ready to add to my list file (ditto for the near-final MT, NM, and UT systems); not so close in CO and WY, and I don't even have a rough draft for IN.

I have a lot of new not-yet-mappable mileage in Canada's prairie provinces (both primary and secondary systems) from this summer, and a little in Arkansas. There's also some new mappable mileage in various Midwestern states in my latest list file. I just need to figure out how to use my new GitHub account to get it (as well as some route file updates) on the server.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 02:03:48 PM by oscar »
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Jim

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 10:46:02 PM »

I have a lot of new not-yet-mappable mileage in Canada's prairie provinces (both primary and secondary systems) from this summer, and a little in Arkansas. There's also some new mappable mileage in various Midwestern states in my latest list file. I just to figure out how to use my new GitHub account to get it (as well as some route file updates) on the server.

Please feel free to send .list updates to me by email until we get the system worked out to allow other ways to update .list files.  A few people are doing this through GitHub pull requests, but I expect that will be the exception.

sipes23

• Last Login: December 12, 2021, 03:11:51 AM
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 11:44:45 PM »

Since the demise of CHM, I've logged a few miles.

*A trip to New Orleans gives me a near clinch of I-55. Just under 2 miles left.  :pan:
*I added the Kentucky Parkways to my list.
*I ran up some miles in FL, but really the FL state highways need to come online to see most of those.
*Two trips to Wyoming (with a third one-way trip next week) have dramatically increased my Wyoming mileage. From 1.5% to 20.2% of available miles.
*They've also upped my Nebraska mileage. Next week will increase those totals. Probably most of NE 2.
*Incremental increases in Illinois and Wisconsin. I'm so close (20 miles maybe?) to a clinch of the 6 county Chicagoland area, but probably won't be able to do it any time soon.

Upcoming trips for 2015
*Finishing off I-80 in Illinois and closing in on a clinch of the region bounded by I-80, I-39, Lake Michigan and the IL/WI state line.
*Running up the miles on Wyoming. (As much as I'd prefer to see the WY state highways come online, it sounds like IN is closer and would get my vote for that reason.) I'm scheduled to take a trip in-state on my new employer's dime in September.
* I want to go check out I-80 into Salt Lake. I'll need to convince my wife, but that shouldn't be too hard.
*Christmas in Chicago. I'm not looking forward to yet another trip across the plains, but it is what it is. I'll try to talk her into taking US 20 (which would give me that highway continuously from Shoshoni, WY, to the IN/OH state line. (Yeah, I'm working on clinching it for weird reasons.)

Non road: I've clinched the MD-N of Chicago's Metra rail. It was a fun ride.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 11:50:43 PM by sipes23 »

Thing 342

• Last Login: March 07, 2024, 09:43:55 PM
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 11:57:01 PM »

I've done quite a bit since CHM ceased working:

* A trip to Champaign, IL in November, netting a bunch of new interstate mileage (and counties, but that's another thread)

* A trip to the Florida panhandle in June, getting a bunch of US highway mileage in the Carolinas and Georgia, as well as a bunch of usafl milegae.

* A trip to WV this month, clinching a lot of usawv mileage.

As for the rest of 2015, I don't have much planned since I'll be at school without a car, but maybe a few day trips to the far Western counties of VA might be in order if I can convince someone to let me borrow theirs.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 12:01:22 AM by Thing 342 »

english si

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 05:41:11 AM »

Wyoming!
I have a significant number of miles in both Colorado and Indiana. Indiana is probably the more difficult one to make sure I have right, and I probably won't be getting any Colorado miles any time in the near future. So I vote Indiana.
Indiana is a huge gap in our state route sets (all the surrounding states are already covered), so I suggest making that first, even though I have mileage in all three states. It will be easier for me to tote up my mileage in all three, and all of us to provide comments, once we have our own highway browser up and running.
Actually, thinking about it - there's no reason why I can't upload the drafts of all three (allowing Oscar to make draft .list files if he desires), but prioritise getting Indiana ready to be activated.

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

• Last Login: Today at 04:34:13 PM
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 08:31:53 AM »

As for me, from the mappable mileage I wouldn't have added that much, some Spanish A-23 sections as they opened to traffic. In April I added part of A-15 in Soria province. And earlier this week I got some autoroute mileage in Southwestern France.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

bejacob

• Last Login: August 17, 2021, 01:37:16 PM
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 09:27:51 AM »

As an Ohio resident, the obvious choice for me is Indiana.  :cool:

As soon as any additional states are ready, I'm eager to see them. Interestingly, NM and CA will probably add most to my mileage (after IN).

mapcat

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 12:36:28 PM
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 10:16:09 AM »

Actually, thinking about it - there's no reason why I can't upload the drafts of all three (allowing Oscar to make draft .list files if he desires), but prioritise getting Indiana ready to be activated.

This is all great, but it's really just a tease since these new systems aren't going to be activated until the updates to all the other systems are processed.  Which means not anytime soon, unless the procedure has changed.

Last anyone reported here, only a small number of contributors are comfortable with GitHub, and until that happens, it's hard to see the update backlog being pushed through.

oscar

• Last Login: Today at 11:14:38 PM
    • my Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 02:16:32 PM »

This is all great, but it's really just a tease since these new systems aren't going to be activated until the updates to all the other systems are processed.  Which means not anytime soon, unless the procedure has changed.

I think there are other things that will take precedence, including (a) getting the Travel Mapping" front end" up and running, and (b) several other new state systems (including NM, UT, MT, VT) closer to activation, but perhaps needing a little more work such as updates to finalize.

But no harm in getting drafts of other systems out there, to get a head start on them.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

yakra

• Last Login: February 13, 2024, 06:39:12 PM
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 01:54:24 AM »

Agreed here, on "huge gap" grounds.
Mileage-wise, I've also got a tiny slice of IN49 that's not multiplexed with already activated routes, so... EH!

Vermont is a similar gap, and should be a priority to go live once we're activating new systems. CHM already has an older version of that route set online, so I already have draft list file entries close to ready to add to my list file (ditto for the near-final MT, NM, and UT systems); not so close in CO and WY, and I don't even have a rough draft for IN.
WRT Vermont:
* I've moved VT100 onto the Morrisville Bypass,  and added the old bits as VT100HisMor, in my local files.
* Froggie reports that there are plans to put VT100 proper back on the old alignment, and redesignate the bypass as VT100Trk. I might wanna wait to see how that plays out.
* VT122Alt is now signed. I have yet to add this; it's on my ToDo list.

I have a lot of new not-yet-mappable mileage in Canada's prairie provinces (both primary and secondary systems) from this summer, and a little in Arkansas. There's also some new mappable mileage in various Midwestern states in my latest list file. I just need to figure out how to use my new GitHub account to get it (as well as some route file updates) on the server.
Locally, I have complete first drafts of the primary systems for AB and MB.
MB still needs to be run thru GISplunge, and a lot of miscellaneous touching up.
AB is maybe 2/3 of the way thru this process.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

intelati49

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 11:01:03 AM
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 10:40:57 AM »

Okay, brand spanking new at this thing... I have clinched I-49 in Missouri (Before and after it was actually I-49). I have also driven US71 from the Arkansas Line to North KC... How would I do that? I think in my current .list file I have I-49 and US71 as two separate overlapping entries. Does this effect my count?

yakra

• Last Login: February 13, 2024, 06:39:12 PM
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 11:48:51 AM »

I believe the multiplexed mileage is counted only once.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

english si

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 12:20:20 PM »

Indeed, though it would count in both systems.

Jim

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 11:18:28 PM »

I believe the multiplexed mileage is counted only once.

This is the intent, and as far as I can tell, the reality.

I have what should be the same concurrency detection as in CHM.  If you have a segment in your .list, you get credit for all routes that share pavement along that segment.  There is no harm in listing more than one such route, but it's not necessary.  Personally, I try to keep everything in the .list, so when I drove I-49/US 71 last month, I included entries for both, but I didn't need to do so.

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 10:43:25 AM »

Since CHM went down, my main addition was a few segments between here and Florida last Christmas:

–Clinched I-795 in North Carolina
–Drove part of I-140 near Wilmington and the portion of US-17 connecting the old road to the new one. The previous time I had been through there was May 1993 and I'd gone straight through the city. (In the course of updating my .list file I discovered I had entered the data erroneously and it showed I'd gone around on the new bypass, so I've fixed that.)
–Clinched the new SC-31 bypass around Myrtle Beach.
–Nipped off a piece of SC-544 after exiting SC-31, then nipped off about two-thirds of SC-707 as a route down to Murrells Inlet (this was probably a mistake; US-17 would likely have been faster).
–Knocked off most of the portion of US-17 I hadn't yet driven in South Carolina, everything from SC-707 down to the southern junction with I-526. While we continued on down back to I-95, I'd already driven that segment a year or two earlier. But it's in much better shape now that the widening project is done. I have yet to travel the segment between US-501 and SC-707.
–Clinched the existing segment of FL-9B (Future I-795). This is an utterly trivial accomplishment given how short that road is!

Since that trip, I've picked up a few missing segments of US routes in Virginia (US-17 between Marshall and the turn for Great Meadow; US-522 from Front Royal to US-211 and from Sperryville to Culpeper; probably one or two others I'm not remembering).

Travel for later this year:

–We have a trip to Albuquerque and Phoenix planned for late September. Flying both ways via an open-jaw on Southwest and then driving around between the two. After four days in Albuquerque, we're driving to the Valley of the Gods in Utah and staying a night at the bed and breakfast located near the foot of the Moki Dugway. We will certainly drive the Dugway so I can take pictures from the top (maybe go to Muley Point if the weather permits, but we'll see), then drive back down because our next destination after there is the Grand Canyon via Monument Valley. After a night at the South Rim, we're headed to Phoenix to visit my brother-in-law for four days before flying home. I've never been to any of these areas before. I figure I'll make a point of clinching I-17. Beyond that, I'm not focusing on clinches so much as I am on picking scenic routes and doing the Moki Dugway and maybe the 17-mile unpaved road through the Valley of the Gods if weather permits.

–We have another Christmas trip to Florida planned, but instead of our usual plan to visit my sister-in-law in Viera, we're visiting my brother-in-law near Miami and our nephew in Fort Myers. The added mileage made it difficult to work it out to drive one way and take the Auto Train the other like we usually do because of work calendars at the end of the year, so instead we're taking the Auto Train both ways. This works out well for me because the depot is in Sanford, so I can knock off the segment of Florida's Turnpike between somewhere in Orlando (not sure whether I'll use I-4 or loop around some other way) and Fort Pierce, which is a long segment I had figured I was unlikely ever to have reason to drive. For the drive over to Fort Myers I might finally use US-41 across the Everglades. I've been as far as Shark Valley on that road. Then for the trip back to the Auto Train I'm considering US-27 up the middle of the state, or alternatively going to Tampa and knocking the Selmon Expressway off my list (but then we have to go up I-4). I have one piddly section of I-75 left to travel in Florida, the segment between I-4 and the northern junction with I-275, and had we driven one way I would have knocked that off, but now it's not happening. Oh well. The train is overnight, so it basically saves us a full day's drive at each end.

For obvious reasons given where I live, I have a lot of unmappable travel on Virginia state routes, but the thought of reconstructing all that if/when that system were to be added makes me shudder a bit. I know I'll never remember all of it because a lot of it came before I thought much about keeping track of this sort of thing.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.