AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: NY Parkways  (Read 8994 times)

Duke87

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 10:36:18 PM
NY Parkways
« on: December 14, 2015, 10:30:57 PM »

Couple observations to address pertaining to the recent additions:

- The Henry Hudson Parkway becomes the Saw Mill Parkway at the Bronx/Westchester county line, not at exit 24. Signage in the field clearly shows this (Yonkers is in Westchester county), and just about every map I have ever seen concurs. This means the former needs an extension and the latter a truncation.

- No waypoint for exit 7 on the Cross County? It is awfully close to exit 6, sure, but it is signed separately and has a different destination.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

yakra

• Last Login: February 13, 2024, 06:39:12 PM
Re: NY Parkways
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 01:24:42 AM »

- The Henry Hudson Parkway becomes the Saw Mill Parkway at the Bronx/Westchester county line, not at exit 24. Signage in the field clearly shows this (Yonkers is in Westchester county), and just about every map I have ever seen concurs. This means the former needs an extension and the latter a truncation.
Thanks. I will add this to an in-progress NYC-area update.

- No waypoint for exit 7 on the Cross County? It is awfully close to exit 6, sure, but it is signed separately and has a different destination.
This is a result of the One Point Per Interchange guideline. As for what exactly One Interchange is, that can be wibbly-wobbly at times; it's a judgment call. I decided it was entirely within the footprint of the Exit 6 interchange, being accessed by the same C/D road.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

english si

• Last Login: July 02, 2022, 05:33:16 AM
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 07:12:12 AM »

Do we want to split them off usanf into their own system (usanyp)?

Jim

• Check out https://travelmapping.net

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:01:00 PM
    • Travel and Other Pictures
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 01:04:18 PM »

Do we want to split them off usanf into their own system (usanyp)?

That would make sense to me.  We're expanding beyond "freeway" portions now.  There are a couple routes like the FDR Drive that probably remain in usasf.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 03:15:22 PM »

I actually have a sheet of paper in my reference route binder listing FDR Drive as part of the parkway system.  Of course, no two sources listing NY parkways are exactly the same, which makes things interesting.  There's also the question of what to do about parkways that are locally owned and don't have reference route numbers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 03:29:54 PM »

I actually have a sheet of paper in my reference route binder listing FDR Drive as part of the parkway system.
http://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operating/oom/transportation-systems/repository/2012%20tour-bk.pdf (p. 71)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

yakra

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 05:52:47 PM »

Checked earlier today and the only routes that I recall without the word "parkway" in the name (FDR drive, Robert Moses ParkCauseway) were on Wikipedia's [citation needed] list of NY parkways.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 11:40:43 AM by yakra »
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Pete from Boston

• Location: Massachusetts, and all the roads radiating out of it
  • Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:29:22 PM
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 06:29:12 PM »

without the word "parkway" in the name

Robert Moses Parkway?

You mean Robert Moses Causeway?

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 07:12:47 PM »

Also Harlem River Drive.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 10:36:18 PM
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 07:59:07 PM »

As I recall the FDR and Harlem River Drives were included in the list of "parkways" slated to get a new style of shield, although I don't have a link handy. Thus far the Henry Hudson design as depicted in my photo linked above is the only one that has actually started being posted.

Might as well move 'em over if we're creating usanyp, I say.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

yakra

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 12:37:37 AM »

without the word "parkway" in the name

Robert Moses Parkway?

You mean Robert Moses Causeway?

Yes, Causeway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.