AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Stats pages  (Read 21309 times)

Thing 342

• Last Login: March 07, 2024, 09:43:55 PM
Re: Stats pages
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2015, 01:55:22 PM »

I'd like to give people the ability to demo what I've been working on, but I don't have any free server space. Instead, I have screenshots:

It's not especially pretty, but it's mostly functional. Please let me know what you guys are interested in terms of features, and I'll look into implementing them.
These are a great start. Thank you!

In general, I like the format of having the map at the top and the stats below. The menu at the top and links within the stats seem sufficient. Eventually would it be possible to generate a map and stats of the entirety of a single highway across all regions it passes through? For example, an I-64 page showing a map and mileage from Missouri to Virginia.

The overall figure at the top is helpful, but I personally don't see any benefit to mileage broken down by tiers. Are the columns sortable by clicking on the headers?

As long as the color coding stays (thanks for doing that!), I don't see a need for the "status" column. Besides that one, I also wouldn't need the System Code or Tier columns. Could users turn them off/on as needed?

Would it be possible to see a total number of traveled and clinched highways for each system in the region?

For these, I think it would look cleaner if columns 1 & 3 were combined, and column 2 eliminated.
The non-greyed out columns in all of the tables are sortable. I kept the system and tier columns in order to make it more immediately obvious to new users, but I can remove them if need be.

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2015, 05:48:12 PM »

Will there be links someone can click on to view the HB overlay with the user's clinched sections for individual routes like in CHM?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Thing 342

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2015, 07:13:25 PM »

Will there be links someone can click on to view the HB overlay with the user's clinched sections for individual routes like in CHM?
Yes.

yakra

• Last Login: February 13, 2024, 06:39:12 PM
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2015, 08:36:56 PM »

Eventually would it be possible to generate a map and stats of the entirety of a single highway across all regions it passes through? For example, an I-64 page showing a map and mileage from Missouri to Virginia.
Yes.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

julmac

• Last Login: December 29, 2015, 12:38:40 AM
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2015, 02:38:20 PM »

I'd like to give people the ability to demo what I've been working on, but I don't have any free server space. Instead, I have screenshots:

It's not especially pretty, but it's mostly functional. Please let me know what you guys are interested in terms of features, and I'll look into implementing them.

Another important feature is the ability to switch between miles and kilometres, as in CHM. Additionally, the column headers should avoid the term "mileage" (use Distance or Length Traveled etc.) in order to be unit neutral.

yakra

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2015, 01:12:47 AM »

the ability to switch between miles and kilometres, as in CHM.
WOW. I had completely missed this until now.  :wow:
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

michih

• Last Login: May 07, 2016, 07:54:16 AM
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2015, 03:37:37 AM »

the ability to switch between miles and kilometres, as in CHM.
WOW. I had completely missed this until now.  :wow:

I think it's not very important but there's a general matter with user-specific default data for:
- km/miles
- colors (corresponding to tiers)
- map type
- selected stats columns
- map with or w/o in-dev systems

I think there should be a default setting for each user so that it's not required to select the options again and again. The user interface could be a simple file where one can enter the default parameters. The mapview and the stats pages must load the file and set the options.

english si

• Last Login: July 02, 2022, 05:33:16 AM
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2015, 07:20:30 AM »

Could the user-specific settings be done with some lines in their .list file?

Obviously I'm assuming that the user's stat page ought to be geared towards them.

Personally, I would like selective units - British (inc Jersey and Man) and American systems in miles, everything else in km.

Jim

• Check out https://travelmapping.net

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:01:00 PM
    • Travel and Other Pictures
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2015, 08:50:57 AM »

Personally, I would like selective units - British (inc Jersey and Man) and American systems in miles, everything else in km.

One possibility to help support this one is an entry in countries.csv indicating the default units.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Thing 342

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2015, 08:54:43 AM »

What you're describing is pretty easy to do with cookies, however I'd prefer this data to be stored online in a database table, so that it would only have to be set once for a particular user. I think this sort of stuff goes along with having a more unified user login system (I shouldn't be able to modify another person's settings, etc) and as such isn't really what I'm focused on right now.

Right now, I'm currently trying to get the general function and design of the pages down, and will probably be able to push to the main repo by the end of the week.

Nexus 6P

Jim

• Check out https://travelmapping.net

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:01:00 PM
    • Travel and Other Pictures
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2015, 10:05:46 AM »

What you're describing is pretty easy to do with cookies, however I'd prefer this data to be stored online in a database table, so that it would only have to be set once for a particular user. I think this sort of stuff goes along with having a more unified user login system (I shouldn't be able to modify another person's settings, etc) and as such isn't really what I'm focused on right now.

There's a lot we can do if/when a user login system is added, but I agree that that's still a way down the road.

Right now, I'm currently trying to get the general function and design of the pages down, and will probably be able to push to the main repo by the end of the week.

I look forward to it, and will get it online as soon as I can!
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

yakra

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2015, 11:17:18 AM »

CHM stored settings for hb/mapview.php using cookies.

yakra

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2016, 11:46:22 AM »

Forgive my ignorance, but what are the tiers?

Defined by the second-to-last column in https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/blob/master/systems.csv, the tiers are used to determine the relative importance of the systems in each country/region.  We currently number 1 through 4, with 1 for things like the U.S. Interstates, and 4 for state highway systems.

They're used in drawing the maps so that segments of higher tier routes are drawn on top of lower tiers.
We actually number 1 thru 5, though only two systems are currently in tier 5: Nova Scotia Collector Routes, and the in-preview Finland Kantatiet (Stem Roads).
NJ 5xx & 6xx series routes, TX Farm-to-Market roads, Alberta Provincial Highways 500-986, etc. would probably also be tier 5 if added in the future.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.