News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Named Routes and their Unique Shields: A Picture Challenge

Started by jbnv, May 23, 2016, 03:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

The challenge: See how many named routes with unique shields we can collect in one thread.

The routes already posted are listed here. Please check this list as well as the last page before posting.

Rules:

1. An eligible picture is a picture of a unique route shield. The shield can be stand-alone, mounted onto a BGS or unisign, or incorporated into some other sort of guide signage (e.g. mile marker, street blade).

2. One picture per person per post.

3. When you post a valid sign, you must wait at least 5 numbers before you can post another valid exit sign, unless I grant you an override.

4. Google Street View is NOT allowed. Actual signs must be posted (not images representing the signs.)

5. Pictures taken by someone other than yourself must be credited.

6. All-text signs require a ruling. The sign must have an image or styling that makes it unique. However, turnpike and parkway systems (e.g. Kentucky) are exempted.

7. Shields designating historic or scenic routes are acceptable.

8. Shields that are sometimes varied by adding a number (e.g. Trans-Canada Highway) may be used only once.

9. Shields that vary only by font or color differences count as duplicates.

10. Shields that use a unique image inside a standard shield (e.g. BC-3) are acceptable.

11. Shields that use the same image across multiple jurisdictions count only if there is a significant difference between the two signs. (For example, circle tours for separate lakes are duplicates if they use the same styling.) Application of this rule will require a ruling from me.

12. Variations of standard state route shields are acceptable only if they apply for a specific named route (e.g. Ohio Turnpike).

13. Error shields of any form, including standard route markers (e.g. circles, US shields) or state outlines for numbered routes (e.g. Iowa, Indiana), do not count.

14. This list of rules is subject to addition to cover conditions that I haven't thought of at this point.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

hotdogPi

Quote from: jbnv on May 23, 2016, 03:31:59 PM
3. When you post a valid sign, you must wait at least 5 numbers pictures before you can post another valid exit sign, unless I grant you an override.

I assume by "unique", you mean "only one of the sign exists".

IA 92 (Iowa normally uses circles), from alpsroads.net
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

formulanone

- Are multiple shield types allowed in the same photo, or just one visible route shield per photo?
- What about unnumbered routes with their own shield?

jbnv

Not what I had in mind. Added these two rules.

Quote from: jbnv on May 23, 2016, 03:31:59 PM
12. Variations of state route shields are acceptable only if they apply for a specific named route (e.g. Ohio Turnpike).

13. Erroneous usage of standard route markers (e.g. circles, US shields) or state outlines for numbered routes do not count.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

jbnv

Quote from: formulanone on May 23, 2016, 03:53:40 PM
What about unnumbered routes with their own shield?

The spirit of this game is about unnumbered routes with their own shield. That includes named routes that overlap numbered routes, and includes scenic, historic and ceremonial routes.

Quote from: formulanone on May 23, 2016, 03:53:40 PM
Are multiple shield types allowed in the same photo, or just one visible route shield per photo?

I thought about this right after I posted, because I can think of one instance that has three unique shields on it. The spirit of the game is to let as many people participate as possible. I'm opening the floor for discussion on this. Possible options include:

1. Allow the picture to count for all of the shields posted.
2. Require the person posting to declare which shield he is posting. If he doesn't, the moderator will make the call.
3. Let the picture stand, and let other posters post other pictures of the same shields.
4. Modify the 5-post rule to account for multiples. (If your picture has two unique signs, you have to wait 10 posts, etc.)

SignGeek101

I'm pretty sure these are unique. I never thought I'd post this because of how bad it is, but here goes:

By far the worst picture of signs in my possession (the only one I have of road signs in Japan), but all I had was a terrible camera and airport glass was blocking my view.

The pic (if you can even see them) include a Route 1 of the Tokyo road system, called the Shuto Expressway system (foreground), and a Japanese National Highway 357 (background, lower left corner of sign).

As for the rules, I have posted two unique routes. I'll wait for an update before I post again.

Jim

OK, I think I've figured out what we're going for here.  My first contribution will be the Lewis and Clark Trail.  This one from near Council Bluffs, Iowa.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Jim

Quote from: jbnv on May 23, 2016, 05:10:33 PM
I thought about this right after I posted, because I can think of one instance that has three unique shields on it. The spirit of the game is to let as many people participate as possible. I'm opening the floor for discussion on this. Possible options include:

1. Allow the picture to count for all of the shields posted.
2. Require the person posting to declare which shield he is posting. If he doesn't, the moderator will make the call.
3. Let the picture stand, and let other posters post other pictures of the same shields.
4. Modify the 5-post rule to account for multiples. (If your picture has two unique signs, you have to wait 10 posts, etc.)

I think it should count for just one, and the poster specifies which he/she intends it to count for.

Alex

Golden Isles Parkway, a touring route coinciding with U.S. 341 through southeast Georgia. Photo taken by myself and flaroads in March 2010.

Mapmikey

Sept 2009, VA 65 at US 58 ALT

jbnv

There we go. That's what I mean.

From DallasNews.com:

US71

E 470 Toll Road near Denver, CO
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Jim

I submit this one for the Yellowhead Route rather than TCH.  This one was taken just west of Winnipeg.

Unlike the number-based threads, it's going to be tricky to keep track of what's been posted and not.  I wonder if someone (not me) will volunteer to keep an alphabetical list of what's been posted to avoid duplicates when we're hundreds of posts in.

Edit: image here and all of the others from my posts will reappear once I get the teresco.org domain back online later this morning.

Edit 2: My domain is updated, but it might take a couple hours for DNS to propagate the new IP address of the server.  I'll refrain from posts in these games for a few hours.

peterj920

Wis 32 shield with the red arrows.  Wis 32 is the 32nd Division Memorial Highway.

busman_49

Found in the rest area on US 30 just to the west of I-71:
lincolnhighway3071_0308 by Ryan busman_49, on Flickr

Mapmikey

Blurry view of the special BC 99 shield on the Sea to Sky Hwy:

Sept 2014

A clear shot of this: https://goo.gl/maps/cRKqtbSajv32

Alex

Long gone New England Thruway trailblazer that I photographed on 233rd Street in the Bronx back in March 2000. This was the shield for the tolled section of I-95 between the Bronx and the Connecticut Turnpike.

formulanone

Okay, I get it now - I thought this was about posting one and only one of every possible route sign or shield in the world.

Cecil B. Sawgrass signs for the Sawgrass Expressway / FL 869. There's only one or two signs left, but this trailblazer assembly is long gone.

Cecil B. Sawgrass Signs by formulanone, on Flickr

jbnv

Quote from: Jim on May 24, 2016, 12:04:53 AM
Unlike the number-based threads, it's going to be tricky to keep track of what's been posted and not.  I wonder if someone (not me) will volunteer to keep an alphabetical list of what's been posted to avoid duplicates when we're hundreds of posts in.

My game, so I'll do it. List is here.

Quote from: Jim on May 24, 2016, 12:04:53 AM
Edit: image here and all of the others from my posts will reappear once I get the teresco.org domain back online later this morning.

Thanks. It's missing this morning.

jbnv

Quote from: busman_49 on May 24, 2016, 06:11:39 AM

Are you counting this for the Lincoln Highway (the L logo) or for this particular route. The former is kosher. The latter, I'd need to see this in context (e.g. GSV) to confirm that it is actually a shield.

jbnv

My next submission to the thread, credit Panoramio user davebake1:

busman_49

Quote from: jbnv on May 24, 2016, 09:32:08 AM
Quote from: busman_49 on May 24, 2016, 06:11:39 AM

Are you counting this for the Lincoln Highway (the L logo) or for this particular route. The former is kosher. The latter, I'd need to see this in context (e.g. GSV) to confirm that it is actually a shield.

Whatever works.  It's in a rest area, so I don't even know if it counts, now that the question arose.

hbelkins

Here's the new-style Kentucky parkway marker, this one for the Mountain Parkway.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

english si

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.