News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: jon daly on January 10, 2019, 08:43:52 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on January 10, 2019, 07:06:38 AM
I wonder how much it's going to cost to change all of them at the RI, MA and NY borders? At least we don't have any of the big "Cuomo" signs here! :D

There's 6 signs on the interstates, 1 at BDL, 1 on the Merritt, and 10 (?) on US routes?, (I'm guessing.) Are there any other welcome signs that mention the governor?

In addition to the ones above; a look at GSV shows that CT 220, CT 159, CT 75, CT 8, CT 343, CT 116, CT 35, CT 137, CT 78, CT 165, CT 14, CT 101, CT 12, CT 131, CT 32, and CT 83 all have blue signage mentioning the governor.  Most are small; slightly larger than the standard town line sign.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jon daly

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 10, 2019, 10:54:06 PM
Quote from: jon daly on January 10, 2019, 08:43:52 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on January 10, 2019, 07:06:38 AM
I wonder how much it's going to cost to change all of them at the RI, MA and NY borders? At least we don't have any of the big "Cuomo" signs here! :D

There's 6 signs on the interstates, 1 at BDL, 1 on the Merritt, and 10 (?) on US routes?, (I'm guessing.) Are there any other welcome signs that mention the governor?

In addition to the ones above; a look at GSV shows that CT 220, CT 159, CT 75, CT 8, CT 343, CT 116, CT 35, CT 137, CT 78, CT 165, CT 14, CT 101, CT 12, CT 131, CT 32, and CT 83 all have blue signage mentioning the governor.  Most are small; slightly larger than the standard town line sign.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if those routes had those signs.

jon daly

Quote from: ipeters61 on January 10, 2019, 08:19:37 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 08, 2019, 03:27:03 PM
Also: I'm surprised they replaced the oblong BGS for Exit 39 WB that used to be on the unused bridge tha would have been the mainline carriageway of I-291 in-kind, and just slapped the new one on a four chord truss gantry.  I did see a couple of the piers have been installed in the Plainville area for new overhead gantries, but does a lighting project preclude them from removing the old signage for Exit 36 EB, where there are two instances of duplicate signage (old in front of new, and new on 4 chord truss in front of bridge mounted)?
I think I read something a while back that said that ConnDOT was averse to installing BGS's mounted on overpasses because it causes more wear to the bridge, so they'd prefer to either ground mount or mount signs on a separate gantry nowadays (sorry, I cannot remember the source).

This explains why the BGS hanging off of the Pequot Trail overpass on I-95 S in Stonington was removed this week.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: jon daly on January 11, 2019, 07:42:59 PM
Also: I'm surprised they replaced the oblong BGS for Exit 39 WB that used to be on the unused bridge tha would have been the mainline carriageway of I-291 in-kind, and just slapped the new one on a four chord truss gantry.  I did see a couple of the piers have been installed in the Plainville area for new overhead gantries, but does a lighting project preclude them from removing the old signage for Exit 36 EB, where there are two instances of duplicate signage (old in front of new, and new on 4 chord truss in front of bridge mounted)?
I think I read something a while back that said that ConnDOT was averse to installing BGS's mounted on overpasses because it causes more wear to the bridge, so they'd prefer to either ground mount or mount signs on a separate gantry nowadays (sorry, I cannot remember the source).

This explains why the BGS hanging off of the Pequot Trail overpass on I-95 S in Stonington was removed this week.

Funny part is CT DOT recently installed about 5 new BGSs on the CT-8 overpass bridge over CT-34 in Derby.  Inconsistency strikes again.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Mergingtraffic

Also CT DOT is putting up the new logo service signs with ATTRACTIONS everywhere even inside interchanges.  The other service ones FOOD, GAS, LODGING, CAMPING have stricter rules for placement.  Is it b/c ATTRACTIONS have tourism dollars attached to it?

Overall, the standards have been updated for the logo service BBSs.....The newer service signs now have a horizontal line between the service/exit number and the logos.  All ATTRACTIONS have them.   There's a recent FOOD one on CT-8 for Exit 12 with the line. Any others that have the newer standard across the state?

jon daly

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on January 13, 2019, 06:11:39 PM
Also CT DOT is putting up the new logo service signs with ATTRACTIONS everywhere even inside interchanges.  The other service ones FOOD, GAS, LODGING, CAMPING have stricter rules for placement.  Is it b/c ATTRACTIONS have tourism dollars attached to it?

Overall, the standards have been updated for the logo service BBSs.....The newer service signs now have a horizontal line between the service/exit number and the logos.  All ATTRACTIONS have them.   There's a recent FOOD one on CT-8 for Exit 12 with the line. Any others that have the newer standard across the state?

I see blank ATTRACTIONS sides on my rides through eastern Connecticut and assume my corner of the state is as boring as people say.

zzyzx

Quote from: jon daly on January 13, 2019, 08:25:17 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on January 13, 2019, 06:11:39 PM

I see blank ATTRACTIONS sides on my rides through eastern Connecticut and assume my corner of the state is as boring as people say.

Most of them along I-95 have been up since the summer and they're still blank:

iPhone

Mergingtraffic

I like the horizontal line under the service/exit number.  I didn't see that in the MUTCD I don't think. Are there any other new ones like this with wider design and the horizontal line besides ATTRACTIONS up? (This is on CT-8)

Are there any CAMPING signs up?

connroadgeek

I think it would be better if the "exit 12" part was moved to a blue exit tab. Same for those attractions signs where the exit number feels like it's squeezed in and barely fits.

ipeters61

Quote from: connroadgeek on January 15, 2019, 12:08:31 AM
I think it would be better if the "exit 12" part was moved to a blue exit tab. Same for those attractions signs where the exit number feels like it's squeezed in and barely fits.
Delaware has some interesting signs for attractions/services:

DE-1 Exit 91 (attractions): https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0968439,-75.4550266,3a,75y,13.04h,89.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siVY1lnVvt-jnL348KHEoiw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

DE-1 Exit 95 (lodging, attractions): https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1250602,-75.4862418,3a,18y,338.79h,91.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szNR96Sa16AQ6qThkVHqgvA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

kurumi

In December 2018, ConnDOT announced the opening of a "new" ramp at I-84 exit 43 (SR 501, Park Road, West Hartford). Buh?

I found a diagram here: https://www.westhartfordct.gov/gov/departments/engineering/park_road_i_84_project/project_overview.asp

It's similar to the treatment of the east end of SR 597 in Southington -- moving the exit ramp terminus closer to the entrance, to improve traffic operations and admit to yourself that no, you're not going to extend that freeway as once planned long ago. At SR 501, there's still some pavement hinting at how Park Road would have been the first interchange on the short freeway leading to West Hartford Center.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

jon daly

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on January 13, 2019, 06:01:47 PM

Funny part is CT DOT recently installed about 5 new BGSs on the CT-8 overpass bridge over CT-34 in Derby.  Inconsistency strikes again.

IANAE, so I have no idea how much stress those signs put on bridges, but is this much ado about nothing?

Alps

Quote from: jon daly on January 18, 2019, 08:14:47 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on January 13, 2019, 06:01:47 PM

IANAE, so I have no idea how much stress those signs put on bridges, but is this much ado about nothing?
Kinda sorta. It degrades bridge life but it's not like a sign is going to take down the bridge.

Duke87

Quote from: jon daly on January 18, 2019, 08:14:47 PM

The issue isn't stress on the structure directly, it's that vibrations of the sign will cause cracks in the concrete near where they're attached. This in turn gets moisture towards the rebar which leads to it corroding, and so forth.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

MikeCL

Quote from: connroadgeek on January 05, 2019, 04:07:12 PM
Anyone see the new small "Welcome to Connecticut" signs? There's a new one on Rt 1 in Greenwich. They replaced the standard sign with a much smaller one that just says "Welcome to Connecticut" with no real design, and the governor plate is also smaller and now is just a picture of something that I couldn't make out as I passed it.
Wow must be in the area lol that's the first thing i saw when i was trying to get to Pemberwick rd Did they change the whole sign?

MikeCL

Caught a picture of it while in slow traffic I hope this is just temporary.. are they going to replace it to a mast type sign?

shadyjay

Took a little drive today to the Big E.  No road photos, but found a couple goodies on street view showing some of the more interesting I-91 onramp signage north of Hartford I'd like to share. 

Jennings Rd to I-91 SB at Exit 33/Hartford: 
Help!  A tree is eating a guide sign!  It ate the one on the other side of the road... just a couple shields suffice.  Obviously, ConnDOT doesn't believe that well-visible signage in this area is important, even though the onramps see a heck of a lot of traffic during the summer, with the Meadows...errr...xFinity Theater 1/2 mile away.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7882189,-72.6600344,3a,50y,135.68h,83.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgboo-Nd1X1mQb1AnU4w5Lw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Kennedy Rd/Archer St to I-91 NB at Exit 39&41/Windsor: 
Potentially a candidate for the "worst of road signs".  Everything is patched/added, except the shield and "Springfield"...
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8905535,-72.6481321,3a,15y,139.24h,91.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skb5Oik3QlFTGcGnsqAsxVQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Mergingtraffic

Will the spring see an uptick in road sign projects finally getting off the ground? This one is in the current CT-8 sign replacement contract.  Nothing being done since last fall with new foundations going in.

shadyjay

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on January 28, 2019, 03:05:38 PM
Will the spring see an uptick in road sign projects finally getting off the ground?

Let's hope so! 

So here's what we've got, either in progress or about to start:

I-84, Exits 29-39A, already in progress, est completion moved to 6/2020*
I-95, Exits 85-93, already in progress, est completion 3/2019* (I may get a field update for this project next weekend)
CT 8, Exits 15-30, already in progress
CT 8, Exits 1-14, to start in the spring?
CT-statewide, random, 2017, in past 2 weeks I've checked 9 of the 14 locations, with no work done yet.  No supports, signs, stakes, etc.
CT-statewide, random, 2018, to start in the spring?

*  estimated completions based off CT Travel Map construction project box on CT.GOV/DOT.  only two sign projects listed.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: shadyjay on January 28, 2019, 09:10:30 PM
Will the spring see an uptick in road sign projects finally getting off the ground?

Let's hope so! 

I-95, Exits 85-93, already in progress, est completion 3/2019* (I may get a field update for this project next weekend)
CT-statewide, random, 2017, in past 2 weeks I've checked 9 of the 14 locations, with no work done yet.  No supports, signs, stakes, etc.

*  estimated completions based off CT Travel Map construction project box on CT.GOV/DOT.  only two sign projects listed.
Random spot improvements include replacement on I-84 from Exit 59 to 57.

Sign replacements as part of the I-91 Hartford resurfacing and the Exit 29 project (they are considered two distinct projects) will start sometime next year through 2022.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on January 28, 2019, 10:06:48 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on January 28, 2019, 09:10:30 PM

Let's hope so! 

Random spot improvements include replacement on I-84 from Exit 59 to 57.

Sign replacements as part of the I-91 Hartford resurfacing and the Exit 29 project (they are considered two distinct projects) will start sometime next year through 2022.

and don't forget the CT-15 signing project from the state line to the Milford Connector.  All side signage is up and some foundations for the BGSs are in too, mostly around US-7.

Ben114

and don't forget the CT-15 signing project from the state line to the Milford Connector.
finally those ugly LGS's around the state line area can go (assuming the project includes those)

MikeCL

Can't remember if it's been posted or not

shadyjay

Quote from: Ben114 on January 29, 2019, 04:09:32 PM
and don't forget the CT-15 signing project from the state line to the Milford Connector.
finally those ugly LGS's around the state line area can go (assuming the project includes those)

The ones for Exit 27S on the state line?  Yup, those will be going.  But honestly, since the ramp is so abrupt and NY lacks any signage for that ramp (except a gore EXIT sign), the CT ramp (presently Exit 27N) should just be modified to service both directions of NY 120A and the NY ramp closed.  Same with the NB side. 

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: shadyjay on February 04, 2019, 04:42:01 PM
Quote from: Ben114 on January 29, 2019, 04:09:32 PM

The ones for Exit 27S on the state line?  Yup, those will be going.  But honestly, since the ramp is so abrupt and NY lacks any signage for that ramp (except a gore EXIT sign), the CT ramp (presently Exit 27N) should just be modified to service both directions of NY 120A and the NY ramp closed.  Same with the NB side. 

New town line LGS ("Stratford Town Line") have went up with the "wood borders" but it still has that awful font. I hope when the BGS signs go up they have highway gothic like they did in the contract plans I saw.  Unless there has been a revision or something.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.