News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2018 Alaska Roadmeet - May 29, Fairbanks

Started by Alps, October 10, 2016, 10:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

During what week can you attend the meet? Still determining day of week.

6/3-9, 2018
1 (20%)
6/10-16, 2018
3 (60%)
6/17-23, 2018
3 (60%)
6/24-30, 2018
2 (40%)
7/1-7, 2018
2 (40%)
7/8-14, 2018
2 (40%)
7/15-21, 2018
3 (60%)
7/22-28, 2018
3 (60%)
7/29-8/4, 2018
3 (60%)
8/5-11, 2018
3 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 5

hbelkins

So is this actually happening? Not much has been said and it's coming up next week.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on May 21, 2018, 09:01:51 PM
So is this actually happening? Not much has been said and it's coming up next week.
Yes. Would you like to join us? Fairbanks, 4 PM.

Duke87

This seems to have turned into just me, Alps, and Corco meeting up in Fairbanks and then driving the Dalton Highway together.

Plenty of other people have expressed general interest but been unable to find the time or money (this is admittedly a significant investment of both) to make it.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

kphoger

Quote from: Duke87 on May 23, 2018, 12:33:23 AM
This seems to have turned into just me, Alps, and Corco meeting up in Fairbanks and then driving the Dalton Highway together.

Plenty of other people have expressed general interest but been unable to find the time or money (this is admittedly a significant investment of both) to make it.

Even with just three people making it up, I'd call that a success.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

First meet I ever attended had only three participants.

oscar

Any photos from the meet? Or are they still in the pipeline, as meet participants munch through the photos they took?
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Duke87

There are a bunch on Facebook, but for those of you who are refuseniks or not on my friends list, here's the one picture I have with all three of us in it:

Steve has another taken in Deadhorse. It will probably be on his website at some point in 2024.

oscar

Quote from: Duke87 on June 19, 2018, 12:46:06 AM
There are a bunch on Facebook, but for those of you who are refuseniks or not on my friends list, here's the one picture I have with all three of us in it:

<snip>

Steve has another taken in Deadhorse. It will probably be on his website at some point in 2024.

I'm one of the Facebook refuseniks. Could any photos that could update or fill in gaps in my own Dalton Highway photo collection (which includes photos contributed by others), such as the new welcome sign I've heard is now at the beginning of the highway, be reposted here?

Duke87

If you're referring to the standard green sign, here it is:

If you're referring to the more touristy sign that people like to take pictures with, none of us have any pictures of it as there was a truck parked in front of it as we passed it.

If there's anything else in particular you might be looking for photos of, name it and I'll see if I can help.

froggie

^^^ Even for those of us who are not "Facebook refuseniks", their news feed algorithm is so FUBAR that it's impossible to catch everything that's posted in one's feed unless they want to spend 26 hours a day sifting through it...

oscar

Quote from: Duke87 on June 19, 2018, 12:55:39 AM
If you're referring to the more touristy sign that people like to take pictures with, none of us have any pictures of it as there was a truck parked in front of it as we passed it.

Yeah, the touristy one is what I had in mind -- too bad.

If there's anything else in particular you might be looking for photos of, name it and I'll see if I can help.

There's the items named in my "suggested" photo list upthread. Aside from that, unless you have a way to make your photos "public" (accessible to non-Facebook users), you could look at my photo collection, review your photos, and figure out what you have that I don't, that might be useful additions to my site.

I'm curious about what shape the road was in, especially the part about halfway between Atigun Pass and Deadhorse that got snowed on just before you got there, escalating its condition to "difficult" (but it went back to the usual "fair" by the time you did the trip). Also, whether the tours from Deadhorse to the beach were running when you were there, or rather the ocean was still frozen.

Alps

Quote from: oscar on June 19, 2018, 12:10:23 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on June 19, 2018, 12:55:39 AM

Yeah, the touristy one is what I had in mind -- too bad.

There's the items named in my "suggested" photo list upthread. Aside from that, unless you have a way to make your photos "public" (accessible to non-Facebook users), you could look at my photo collection, review your photos, and figure out what you have that I don't, that might be useful additions to my site.

I'm curious about what shape the road was in, especially the part about halfway between Atigun Pass and Deadhorse that got snowed on just before you got there, escalating its condition to "difficult" (but it went back to the usual "fair" by the time you did the trip). Also, whether the tours from Deadhorse to the beach were running when you were there, or rather the ocean was still frozen.
There were some really slushy, rutted parts about 50-20 miles out from Deadhorse, but the road improved somewhat within a few miles of the town. Down from Atigun to about where the frozen tundra and fog began, fine.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on June 19, 2018, 09:36:29 AM
^^^ Even for those of us who are not "Facebook refuseniks", their news feed algorithm is so FUBAR that it's impossible to catch everything that's posted in one's feed unless they want to spend 26 hours a day sifting through it...

And then when one of the participants who has unfriended you goes back and blocks you on top of it, it really does become impossible.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on June 19, 2018, 07:11:24 PM

And then when one of the participants who has unfriended you goes back and blocks you on top of it, it really does become impossible.
Passive aggressive much? I don't recall blocking you but it sure seems like a good idea the way you keep calling me out. It doesn't look good on you.

CNGL-Leudimin

So Alaska finally happened? I may take seriously my Aragon, Spain roadmeet proposal, which I originally used as a prank ;)
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 20, 2018, 10:09:49 AM
So Alaska finally happened? I may take seriously my Aragon, Spain roadmeet proposal, which I originally used as a prank ;)
I'm telling you, I would go.

Brandon

Quote from: Alps on June 20, 2018, 01:32:23 AM

Passive aggressive much? I don't recall blocking you but it sure seems like a good idea the way you keep calling me out. It doesn't look good on you.

Guys, can both of you just knock it off.  I know you differ politically, but this is not the time nor the place for it.

Never could understand why people get so pissy on Facebook when someone votes for the other party.  Who gives a rat's fuck about it?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cl94

Quote from: Alps on June 20, 2018, 02:46:43 PM

I'd seriously consider going to Spain. Just needs to be timed right and the date needs to be announced well in advance. You could probably get half a dozen of us or so.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Takumi

Quote from: Brandon on June 20, 2018, 04:47:21 PM
Quote from: Alps on June 20, 2018, 01:32:23 AM

Guys, can both of you just knock it off.  I know you differ politically, but this is not the time nor the place for it.

Never could understand why people get so pissy on Facebook when someone votes for the other party.  Who gives a rat's fuck about it?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Dougtone

Quote from: cl94 on June 20, 2018, 04:50:11 PM
Quote from: Alps on June 20, 2018, 02:46:43 PM

I'd seriously consider going to Spain. Just needs to be timed right and the date needs to be announced well in advance. You could probably get half a dozen of us or so.

Especially with airfare across the Atlantic these days...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.