News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Traffic Lights With Strobes...

Started by thenetwork, November 05, 2009, 09:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadrunner75

At least at one time, there was a strobe on a red signal here on PA 309 next to the Montgomery Mall. 
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.237057,-75.240485&spn=0.000008,0.005472&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=40.236793,-75.241305&panoid=HQg36wfuozJtSMXVLFUiYA&cbp=12,154.26,,0,1.22
I never understood why it was placed here since the signal was surrounded in relative close proximity by other signals in each direction, and this stretch of 309 is not immediately adjacent to a freeway segment or other area where one would not expect to encounter a signal.

SectorZ

Junction of MA 101 and 140 in Gardner MA. 140 is a 55 MPH road thru the intersection, and 101 isn't much slower, which I think is the reason for them.

roadfro

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 28, 2014, 02:02:57 PM

Quote from: vdeane on October 28, 2014, 01:10:43 PM
I've never really understood why they were banned.  Sure, they shouldn't be the standard anywhere, but I would think they'd be useful in situations where a traffic light would be unexpected (such as the former light on NY 17 in Parksville).

I think of them as useful in places where congestion and/or road alignment can make red lights easy to blend into the background.  I encountered one of these recently, but I don't recall the location–heavy traffic with many small intersections in an area of heavy visual clutter. 

I'm guessing the argument against them is that there is a set of standards in place to ensure there's a clear approach with plenty of visibility and time to react to a red light.  But if there is not money, space, or whatever else is needed to make this happen, maybe the strobe is a helpful stopgap.

My understanding of why strobes were used in the first place was to provide additional conspicuity to red lights in areas where red lights were disregarded or unexpected.

The strobes were eventually disallowed in part because research showed them to not be effective in decreasing red light running rates. (There's also the potential issue with strobes at certain frequencies that can cause epileptic shock, which is part of the reason beacon flash rates are specified in the MUTCD.) I think (don't quote me on this) in some areas, people may have also mistaken these flashes for red light camera flashes...

Agencies can use a combination of other treatments to enhance the conspicuity of red signals. Some ideas include reflective strips on signal backplates, upstream warning beacons/signs, additional near-side signals, etc.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

KEK Inc.

I've seen the strobe used for fire signals too. 

Some counties or state DOTs install a flood-light or standard bulb next to the IR opticom on the mast-arm that turns on when the light is overridden by an emergency vehicle. 

Perhaps you can replace that with a strobe? 
Take the road less traveled.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: KEK Inc. on October 29, 2014, 04:20:28 AM
I've seen the strobe used for fire signals too. 

Some counties or state DOTs install a flood-light or standard bulb next to the IR opticom on the mast-arm that turns on when the light is overridden by an emergency vehicle. 
Is that what this is (on the same signal I posted earlier):
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.23643,-75.241028&spn=0.001048,0.700378&cbll=40.23643,-75.241028&layer=c&panoid=esB1QBT68Y9Ki7S6JJa9gA&cbp=12,151.05,,0,-24.03&t=m&z=11
The standard video detection is on the right of the mast arm, but I wasn't sure about what looks like the bulb mounted on the left side of the top of the arm.

I'm pretty sure this is the signal that used to have a strobe, but I thought it was in the red signal itself, like some of the other examples.

NYhwyfan

cl94

Quote from: NYhwyfan on October 29, 2014, 06:46:08 PM
*Walden Avenue (NY 952Q) and Pavement Road (Erie CR 139)
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.923553,-78.623024&spn=0.006827,0.013937&cbll=42.923578,-78.62285&layer=c&panoid=h1G0DQLPlcnYwlmIGALHtA&cbp=12,64.92,,0,3.74&t=m&z=17
All four primary red signals

Gone for a couple of years. Strobes disabled before the CR 139 bridge replacement began in summer 2011, signals replaced between then and 2013. My parents live a couple miles from there and I'm over there several times a year.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

First place I can recall seeing a strobe was at a traffic light on southbound US 23 at Wise, Va. (at a light that I always seem to get caught at). The strobe there was a horizontal line in the middle of the red ball. It was there for years before it disappeared a couple of years ago. (I may even have made reference to it earlier in this thread).

Unfortunately, Virginia uses "Signal Ahead" (W3-3) with flashers that are always on. I like Kentucky's system of flashers that activate before the light is going to turn red, with signage indicating "Prepare To Stop When Flashing."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on October 29, 2014, 10:11:04 PM
I like Kentucky's system of flashers that activate before the light is going to turn red, with signage indicating "Prepare To Stop When Flashing."

I first saw signs like that in Ohio. There are/were a LOT of them near Columbus. They start flashing a few seconds before yellow so people have a chance to stop.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kj3400

I've always liked this one on Liberty Rd (MD 26): http://goo.gl/maps/VQ7pZ

There's a couple on Reisterstown Road (MD 140) too.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

vdeane

The first I remember seeing was on NY 104 WB somewhere between Mexico and Sodus at the bottom of a hill.  The other one that comes to mind is NY 365 WB at the Thruway interchange (NY 365 is a divided highway that looks like and drives like a rural interstate).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

WichitaRoads

I remember from the days of my youth a strobe in the red light (seemed to shoot across the lens) on EB and WB Kellogg (54/96 then, 54/400 now) in Andover, Kansas, just east of Wichita. At the time, it was the only light on Kellogg between Greenwich Road in Wichita and Lulu Street in Augusta, a stretch of 12.1 miles. It made sense, since traffic was moving continuously for such a long period (4 miles on one side, 8.1 on the other), and Andover Road is the "main drag" to the suburb. It was cable-span.

Alas, it disappeared a number of years ago when the lights were upgraded to masts, and the intersection was repaved and reconfigured. By then, the area built up tremendously, with a large grocery store and numerous eateries. However, traffic was no longer flying for 12 miles with little to stop at: a light was added at Zelta (.5 mi east of Greenwich), 143rd (2 mi east of Greenwich), 159th/County Line (3 mi east of Greenwich), Yorktown (4.5 miles east of Greenwich), and Santa Fe Lake Road (3.1 miles west of Lulu). with speed reductions a mile on each side of Andover Rd.

I don't know if there were any others in the Wichita area.

ICTRds

route17fan

I also know of one on NY 7 eastbound in Schenectady at Albany St. - just past I-890 and just before the intersection with NY 5  :)
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

SidS1045

I haven't been through this intersection in quite a while, but the lights at the Saw Mill River Parkway and Readers Digest Road in Chappaqua NY had them (and might still).
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

DrSmith

I know it is not a traffic light, but there is a construction arrow in use for a lane closure on Route 5 North in West Springfield prior to the Route 20 rotary that has a brief strobe flash of white prior to the longer yellow indication of the arrow.  It's an LED light, so each entire light is lit with the white strobe prior quickly going to yellow. Something different and somewhat of a strobe effect that I haven't seen used anywhere else.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: kj3400 on October 30, 2014, 07:35:02 AM
I've always liked this one on Liberty Rd (MD 26): http://goo.gl/maps/VQ7pZ

There's a couple on Reisterstown Road (MD 140) too.

There is at least one on Md. 3 (Crain Highway) northbound in Anne Arundel County approaching Md. 175 here

Prior to that sign on Md. 3 is a more-conventional yellow set of yellow beacons (IMO much less desirable) with a SIGNAL AHEAD sign overhead approaching the signal at St. Stephens Church Road here.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: thenetwork on November 05, 2009, 09:40:05 PM
With the advent of brighter LED lights in signals, I was curious if the regular bulb signals with strobe lighting on the red lens is becoming an endangered species?

And while we are on the topic of signals with strobes, what states use(d) them?

For those of you not familiar with "strobe signals", they are used usually in areas where fog can be a menace more times than not or areas where traffic lights may be few & far between like on 4-lane divided highways with limited surface intersections or high accident areas. 

While the light is red, a pulsating strobe (about one time per second) flashes over or in the red lens to grab the attention of drivers.  Conversely, when the light is green or yellow the strobe stops.

ISTR seeing them most often in the Carolinas, and occasionally in Ohio.

I do not think they are dying, one signal in my town at the fire house just got one. We have a bunch in MA. My favorite is in Springfield because the strobe goes around the red light and it pulses!

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

renegade

Quote from: Amtrakprod on October 22, 2018, 03:19:21 PM
With the advent of brighter LED lights in signals, I was curious if the regular bulb signals with strobe lighting on the red lens is becoming an endangered species?

For those of you not familiar with "strobe signals", they are used usually in areas where fog can be a menace more times than not or areas where traffic lights may be few & far between like on 4-lane divided highways with limited surface intersections or high accident areas. 

While the light is red, a pulsating strobe (about one time per second) flashes over or in the red lens to grab the attention of drivers.  Conversely, when the light is green or yellow the strobe stops.

I do not think they are dying, one signal in my town at the fire house just got one. We have a bunch in MA. My favorite is in Springfield because the strobe goes around the red light and it pulses!

iPhone
I have seen them in Tennessee like that, but it's been a few years since I've been there.  It's likely they're gone now.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: renegade on October 22, 2018, 09:22:44 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on October 22, 2018, 03:19:21 PM

iPhone
I have seen them in Tennessee like that, but it’s been a few years since I’ve been there.  It’s likely they’re gone now.
Tennessee and Alabama still have a few, IIRC, along with the more "traditional"-style LED strobes.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadman

Quote from: SidS1045 on November 16, 2014, 05:02:03 PM
I haven't been through this intersection in quite a while, but the lights at the Saw Mill River Parkway and Readers Digest Road in Chappaqua NY had them (and might still).

As of September, 2017 - the last time I was on the Saw Mill, the strobes were still there.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.