News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The moderation decision process

Started by hbelkins, January 14, 2017, 02:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: kkt on January 17, 2017, 03:54:41 PM
Quote from: NE2 on January 15, 2017, 11:03:09 PM
Would be nice if Trump supporters could be banned. Fuck them.

What is the point of posts like this?  Doesn't persuade anyone and just alienates people who are on the same place in the political spectrum.

I figured you might know better than to look for a reason.

Quote from: US 41 on January 17, 2017, 04:13:56 PM
If I (or anyone else) was to post something ridiculous like "F Hillary supporters" I guarantee I'd at the very least get an official warning from someone. I don't really understand how one person can be exempt from the rules of the forum for this long. Do any of the mods have an answer?

No, if the mods had an answer, they'd have given it already.  The big issue I have is that, for every four profane, trolling posts NE2 makes, there's one nugget of interesting and valuable information plucked from his bottomless knowledge of American highway history.  I find it easier to roll my eyes at NE2's sour comments, understanding them for what they are, not wishing his real contributions to the forum to go absent.  I just wish the good-to-bad ratio were higher.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

LM117

Quote from: kphoger on January 17, 2017, 04:22:38 PM
Quote from: US 41 on January 17, 2017, 04:13:56 PM
If I (or anyone else) was to post something ridiculous like "F Hillary supporters" I guarantee I'd at the very least get an official warning from someone. I don't really understand how one person can be exempt from the rules of the forum for this long. Do any of the mods have an answer?

No, if the mods had an answer, they'd have given it already.  The big issue I have is that, for every four profane, trolling posts NE2 makes, there's one nugget of interesting and valuable information plucked from his bottomless knowledge of American highway history.  I find it easier to roll my eyes at NE2's sour comments, understanding them for what they are, not wishing his real contributions to the forum to go absent.  I just wish the good-to-bad ratio were higher.

I think you may have just answered his question. :hmm:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

jakeroot

Hmm...

NE2: brash, loves to insult others, uses profanity on a regular basis
Trump: brash, insults others with alarming regularity, seems to enjoy using profanity

They seem like they'd get along pretty well.

My bigger issue with NE2 being allowed to act as he does, simply because he is knowledgeable, is that no other legal system permits such behavior. Even that sweet, old lady Martha Stewart had to serve her time for insider trading. You don't get a slip just because you're smart. You've broken the rules, and you should pay the price.

You don't have to ban NE2. Just don't let him post anywhere except off-topic for a few months (i.e. probation, which is a legal punishment).

DaBigE

Quote from: jakeroot on January 17, 2017, 05:29:32 PM
You don't have to ban NE2. Just don't let him post anywhere except off-topic for a few months (i.e. probation, which is a legal punishment).

I believe NE2's had [several?] temporary bans before. Maybe the mods could simply delete insulting and other trolling rants that add nothing to the active discussion threads.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

tribar

Why is dzalbe or whatever his name is aloud to spam the Midwest/ Chicago boards non stop with his hypotenuse bullshit?  Isn't that spamming?

nexus73

NE2 should not be banned or even given probation if it was up to me.  Heck, let him yell his head off!  The phrase "I disagree with what you say but I'll die to preserve your right to say it" is my sentiment.  Besides, he'd be a lot of fun to drag out of the gutter where a few cuss words are used and really let him open up with some genuine paragraphs! 

The roads must roll.

Rick

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

hotdogPi

Quote from: nexus73 on January 17, 2017, 06:16:29 PM
NE2 should not be banned or even given probation if it was up to me.  Heck, let him yell his head off!  The phrase "I disagree with what you say but I'll die to preserve your right to say it" is my sentiment.  Besides, he'd be a lot of fun to drag out of the gutter where a few cuss words are used and really let him open up with some genuine paragraphs! 

The roads must roll.

Rick

So you would be okay if he personally attacked you?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jakeroot

The roads must roll.

I agree with you 99%. The issue, really, is that AARoads is a private web server, not subject to the US constitution. There is no free speech here. I think most moderators (and users) are open to free speech in its basic form, but there are still rules against personal insults. This rule has, in the eyes of most users, been broken by NE2 on far too many occasions for additional action (beyond temp-banning) to not have been taken.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on January 17, 2017, 02:10:22 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 17, 2017, 02:00:53 PM
Quote from: NE2 on January 17, 2017, 10:54:36 AM
Alps is on the side of good in our fight against horrible people who support Trump.

Trump is on the good side!

It's crap like both of these posts that threatens the possibility of clarification and enlightenment. Someone will come and lock the thread, which will require the question to be asked again.
THERE IS NO ANSWER. Moderators are people. People aren't always consistent. We don't have robot overlords to make every decision consistently and perfectly.

Alps

As for this thread - note that I have no power to moderate it - I wouldn't be surprised if the global mods and admins are simply letting it run its course.

nexus73

Quote from: 1 on January 17, 2017, 06:27:22 PM

The roads must roll.

Rick

So you would be okay if he personally attacked you?

Remember, I can bite back too! *grin*  That is the whole point of having a Mad Max forum.  Let the feces fly...LOL!  Mods can then just move any thread which gets out of hand to that particular pile. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

texaskdog

Just change the word "Trump" in all his posts to "Obama" or "Hillary" and watch him go crazy.

Rothman

NE2 is just a lonely, harmless, misanthrope.  No biggie.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: Rothman on January 18, 2017, 08:18:10 AM
NE2 is just a lonely, harmless, misanthrope.  No biggie.
While this is surely true, I feel turnabout is fair play–if he wants to dish it out, he should have to take it when people give it back to him.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bandit957

People are complaining about NE2, but not the pro-Trump garbage that gets posted.

Persecution against those who dissent from right-wing thought policing is a very real problem in society, and must end.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

nexus73

Quote from: bandit957 on January 18, 2017, 10:48:10 AM
People are complaining about NE2, but not the pro-Trump garbage that gets posted.

Persecution against those who dissent from right-wing thought policing is a very real problem in society, and must end.

Ideological purity pervades both sides.  You do know we are a polarized polity these days.  Heretics and infidels, burn 'em at the stake...LOL!  Then along comes Trump, who can get in hot water with both sides and even people who are not American like the Pope.  My hope is that "The Art Of The Deal" approaches results in some common ground being found by both parties, who actually have numerous sides.

Rick

NE2

Hitler was a great finder of common ground. He brought the U.S. and USSR together.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.