News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

END signs

Started by Inyomono395, February 08, 2017, 09:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Quote from: formulanone on January 04, 2018, 11:12:58 AM
VA 164's eastern end:

Not anymore.  VA 164 now ends at I-264, and has done so since the MLK extension opened in late 2016.

Quote from: formulanone on May 01, 2018, 05:33:18 AM
Two end signs for US 280 on the Red Mountain Parkway in Brimingham:

A standalone end sign has existed here for decades.  One of my first road photos was a shot of it from 1998.  The overhead guide sign version is relatively more recent...no earlier than 2008.

Mapmikey

Quote from: froggie on May 11, 2018, 11:45:44 PM
Quote from: formulanone on January 04, 2018, 11:12:58 AM
VA 164's eastern end:

Not anymore.  VA 164 now ends at I-264, and has done so since the MLK extension opened in late 2016.

They kept the original posting but removed the END banner, then installed a new VA 164 END assembly at I-264...

May 2017

MNHighwayMan

Now for the ends of MN-263 and 264.

North END of MN-263 just past the north ramps with I-90, just north of Welcome.

South END of MN-263 at Clark St/CR-125 in Ceylon. The marker for its continuation, CR-8, should be on a separate post.

North END of MN-264, again just past the north ramps with I-90.

South END of MN-264 at the intersection of 2nd Ave/Main St in Round Lake.

paulthemapguy

Most of the end markers I saw in the southwestern quarter of Indiana appear on the opposite side of the crossroad from the highway that's ending.  If you're on the ending highway, the end marker will appear ahead of you, across the street.

West end of IN-142

IN-142WT by Paul Drives, on Flickr

This end of IN-164 is basically on top of a lake.

IN-164ET by Paul Drives, on Flickr

The new east end of IN-445 at I-69, at a roundabout:

IN-445ET by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

MNHighwayMan

Some more miscellaneous ends that I photographed recently.

South END of IA-146 at US-63 in New Sharon. Note the misused arrow tab in the background. :-D

North END of IA-146 at US-30 in Le Grand.

North END of IA-224 at IA-14 south of Laurel.

The east END of MN-109 in Alden, approaching the I-90 interchange.

hbelkins

I hate the new Iowa three-digit route markers. I preferred the circle-in-a-square vs. the ellipse-in-a-rectangle like Kentucky, Mississippi, New Jersey, Delaware, etc., use. Is there any particular reason Iowa has gone to these markers?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MNHighwayMan

Something or someone must be pushing for universal use of wide shields for three or four digits. Minnesota never used to post standalone wide shields, either, starting 10-15 or so years ago, and even then, their use was pretty sporadic until recently.

I will say, the one thing I like about Iowa's wide version of the circle-in-square is that it isn't an oval. I like that it has the flat spots at the top and bottom, because I think it looks better, and it puts more white space around the digits. That said, it's still essentially the circle-in-square design, and blah. :thumbdown: Come up with something more creative than that, please.

Anyhow, back to the pictures. Here's some ends I captured in a trip into Nebraska last week. These are all routes that end at I-80 somewhere between Lincoln and Kearney.

The eastern END of the western segment of NE-2.

South END of 10C.

North END of 40D, where it turns into NE-11.

South END of 93B.

Buck87

West end of OH 547

VS988

Max Rockatansky

US 89

END US 189 in Heber City, UT.

Since the early 90s, UDOT did not recognize any portion of US 189 north of this junction with US 40 in south Heber. It was completely unsigned along its overlaps with US 40 and I-80. Last year, 189 was finally signed along the US 40 overlap. It remains unsigned on the I-80 overlap, from the interchanges on the freeway portion, and in Heber City.

7/8

Quote from: US 89 on May 26, 2018, 10:10:37 AM
Since the early 90s, UDOT did not recognize any portion of US 189 north of this junction with US 40 in south Heber. It was completely unsigned along its overlaps with US 40 and I-80. Last year, 189 was finally signed along the US 40 overlap. It remains unsigned on the I-80 overlap, from the interchanges on the freeway portion, and in Heber City.

It's cool to think that if I had visited the Heber Valley a year earlier, I wouldn't have seen any US 40/189 concurrency signage.

Here's the last batch of END signs from my trip out west:

Eastern end of SD 240 at I-90 near Badlands N.P.

Eastern end of M-86 in Coldwater, MI

Eastern end of the 402 in London, ON

MNHighwayMan

In July, MnDOT is renumbering MN-110 as an extension of MN-62. Today, I took a trip to Mendota Heights and surrounding area to photograph the route before the sign changeover. Here are the three END signs for MN-110.

The westernmost WB END sign, which is west of the MN-13 intersection and is essentially posted where the route turns into a ramp to MN-55 West.

The other WB END sign, which is east of the MN-13 junction and combined with a JCT display for MN-13 and MN-55.

The EB END sign, posted before 110 interchanges with MN-3/Robert St, then merges into I-494.

7/8

Here is the eastern end of Highway 8 in Peter's Corners (Hamilton), ON

MNHighwayMan

Here's a couple more END signs I captured to go along with the MN-110 signs above.

This is the current east END of MN-62, which is posted just beyond the EB offramp to MN-55 West/Hiawatha Ave. This sign will not last much longer, as it will be invalidated by the renumbering of MN-110.

Here is the north END of MN-3 at the WB ramps with MN-110. The road continues north into West St. Paul as Robert St, which is an old routing of US-52 and still maintained by MnDOT (for reasons currently unknown to me) as the unmarked MN-952A.

froggie

QuoteThe road continues north into West St. Paul as Robert St, which is an old routing of US-52 and still maintained by MnDOT (for reasons currently unknown to me) as the unmarked MN-952A.

For the same reason as with most turnbacks and turnback candidates......Dakota County wants it rebuilt before they will take it over.

BTW, I'm noticing that your photos are taking an inordinately large amount of time to load on a cell connection compared to the others in this thread.  Does your image hosting not automatically resize your photos to 800px?  Looks like the forum's doing it, but downloading the full-size image first to do so.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: froggie on June 01, 2018, 02:23:22 PM
BTW, I'm noticing that your photos are taking an inordinately large amount of time to load on a cell connection compared to the others in this thread.  Does your image hosting not automatically resize your photos to 800px?  Looks like the forum's doing it, but downloading the full-size image first to do so.

That's precisely what's happening. I apologize if it is inconvenient for people on slower connections.

7/8

I took a drive to clinch Highway 40 and I got a few ENDS signs along the way.

Northern end of Highway 40 at the 402 in Sarnia

Southern end of Highway 21 at the 402

Northern end of Lambton CR 8 at the 402

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

jmd41280

North end of PA 310 at US 322 in Reynoldsville

North end of PA 310 in Reynoldsville by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

MNHighwayMan

Some more from me, mostly pulled from the archive, but this post was actually inspired by the second picture, which I took yesterday (June 22 2018).

First, this was the old east END of IA-160 sign. This one's from October 2016.

Now here's the new END sign, which was put in after the Iowa DOT redid the interchange last year. It includes one of the much-beloved wide 3-digit Iowa shields. :)

Here's the west END of IA-160 at IA-415/State St. Also from October 2016.

Since I mentioned IA-415, here's its ends, too. This is the south end, at US-6/Euclid Ave in Des Moines. Taken December 2016.

North end of 415 as it interchanges with IA-141 west of Polk City/Saylorville Lake. This one was taken a week or two later than the above image, in January 2017.

US 89

Here are a whole bunch from Utah that I just got around to uploading:

SR-26 in Roy:

SR-26 in Ogden:

SR-37 in Sunset:

SR-39 in West Weber:

SR-97 in Hooper:

SR-108 in West Haven:

SR-109 in Layton:

SR-134 in West Haven:

SR-134 in North Ogden:

SR-151 in South Jordan:

SR-168 in Riverdale:

SR-168 at the now-closed Hill Air Force Base north gate (why is 168 still a state route?)

SR-193 in Layton:

SR-227 in Farmington:

SR-232 in Layton:

SR-235 in Ogden:

SR-270 in Salt Lake City:

akotchi

This qualifies for both "begin" and "end" signs, but I post it here because the "end" portion is true . . .

This is also one of the newest END signs.  Located in the construction zone of the I-95 connector ramps to the Pa. Turnpike, this is where I-295 WB transitions into I-95 SB north of the Pa. 413 exit.  The Ford Ave. overpass is in the background.  Taken 6/30/18.

Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Max Rockatansky

CA 132 End:

132CAend by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 26 End:

26CAend by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

MNHighwayMan

Three fresh-off-the-camera-sensor ENDs from today's trip. Posted in the order taken.

MN-223 west of Leonard

MN-222 south of Oklee

West end of MN-92 south of Red Lake Falls

MN-222 and 223 did not have END signs at their north and east ends, respectively, and I didn't drive to MN-92's east terminus.

US 89

Here are some more from Utah:

SR-12 in Torrey:

SR-14 at Long Valley Junction:

SR-63 in Bryce Canyon City:

SR-68 in Elberta:

SR-85 in Saratoga Springs (this is actually incorrect; 85 turns right for a short concurrency with 68):

SR-86 in Henefer:

SR-99 in Fillmore:

SR-115 in Payson:

SR-141 in West Mountain (141 and 147 share an endpoint, and the routes should really be combined):

SR-148 near Cedar Breaks:

SR-198 in Santaquin:

SR-274 in Parowan:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.