News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

From the Northeast to Tampa, FL

Started by roadman65, July 22, 2017, 08:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Does anyone use I-95 south to I-4, or do they cut over earlier to reach I-75 rather than deal with Orlando's heavy traffic?

Many routes I have heard are ranging from:

• FL A1A to US 301 South from Yulee, FL. Then FL 24 to I-75.
  • Then I have heard some take I-295 (west Jax Bypass) to I-10 West to either I-75 directly or use US 301 south at Baldwin to FL 24 at Waldo to I-75 at Gainesville.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Jim

On many trips from the northeast to the Naples area, we normally get off I-95 at Yulee, take A1A to Callahan, to pick up 301 there.  We've probably used 8 or 10 different options to cut across from 301 to I-75.  We've almost never cut across as far north as Gainesville, just no fast way through there in my experience.  My favorite is probably FL 326.  It's just north of where you start getting into the slowdowns associated with Ocala.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

jwolfer

With the Waldo PD being disbanded and the 4 laning of 301 from Callahan to Baldwin the SR200 route(a1a and 301) is more attractive.

The Starke bypass will make it even better

LGMS428

jwolfer

Quote from: Jim on July 22, 2017, 09:02:35 AM
On many trips from the northeast to the Naples area, we normally get off I-95 at Yulee, take A1A to Callahan, to pick up 301 there.  We've probably used 8 or 10 different options to cut across from 301 to I-75.  We've almost never cut across as far north as Gainesville, just no fast way through there in my experience.  My favorite is probably FL 326.  It's just north of where you start getting into the slowdowns associated with Ocala.
326 is the shortest link from 301 to75. On big travel weekends it can get really backed up with travelers and the truck stops.

The exit from 75 should have a "TO 301" along with the 326 shield

LGMS428

BigRTM

No streamline way to do it, but I like the path of:

I-95 south;
I-295 west;
I-10 west;
US 301 south;
SR 326 west;
I-75 south;

And just be aware, for some reason there tends to be frequent accidents on I-75 between Ocala and Tampa (especially on the weekends). Hope you get lucky.

Max Rockatansky

From I-95; FL 11, FL 40, FL 19, FL 50, and FL 33 I thought always made a decent bypass past Orlando to I-4.  I always liked to drive through Ocala National Forest, kind of scenic route to detour off of IMO.

jwolfer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 22, 2017, 10:18:20 PM
From I-95; FL 11, FL 40, FL 19, FL 50, and FL 33 I thought always made a decent bypass past Orlando to I-4.  I always liked to drive through Ocala National Forest, kind of scenic route to detour off of IMO.
I like 19... You could also take 207 to SR100 w to 19 south.. Although it does bring you thru Palatka downtown.. Your routing avoids any bigger towns

LGMS428

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jwolfer on July 22, 2017, 11:11:11 PM
I like 19... You could also take 207 to SR100 w to 19 south.. Although it does bring you thru Palatka downtown.. Your routing avoids any bigger towns

LGMS428

I always liked Palatka, the downtown area really reminds me of some of the Gold Rush era towns out west.  Really the traffic still tends to move even in the city.  Really anything that straddles Ocala National Forest and the Green Swamp tends to keep moving pretty well.  I'd rather have a relaxing scenic drive in the back country over fighting every and their dog on US 301 or I-75.

jwolfer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 22, 2017, 11:16:54 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on July 22, 2017, 11:11:11 PM

LGMS428

I always liked Palatka, the downtown area really reminds me of some of the Gold Rush era towns out west.  Really the traffic still tends to move even in the city.  Really anything that straddles Ocala National Forest and the Green Swamp tends to keep moving pretty well.  I'd rather have a relaxing scenic drive in the back country over fighting every and their dog on US 301 or I-75.
Agreed.  Most cell phone carries lose signal on SR19... Scares some people...

LGMS428

DeaconG

If you're willing to spend a bit of coin ($6 cash), take I-95/SR 407/SR 528/SR 417/I-4. You'll miss the worst of the Orlando traffic on I-4 and you'll only have to worry about the traffic east of Tampa.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

VTGoose

Quote from: BigRTM on July 22, 2017, 10:08:17 PM
No streamline way to do it, but I like the path of:

I-95 south;
I-295 west;
I-10 west;
US 301 south;
SR 326 west;
I-75 south;

And just be aware, for some reason there tends to be frequent accidents on I-75 between Ocala and Tampa (especially on the weekends). Hope you get lucky.

After a number of trips from Southwest Virginia to the Tampa area, I discovered a "shortcut" on this routing. If you don't need the services of Jacksonville (food, fuel, etc.) get off I-95 at exit 373 for FL 200. Take 200 west to Callahan to pick up U.S. 301 south. That avoids the 95/295/10 traffic and changes and the mess at the I-10/301 interchange (mainly going north with the left turn onto the ramp).

For some reason, my older Garmin GPS wanted to send me though Ocala (both going south and north) instead of using the cutoff to Zuber.

The last couple of trips went smoothly and we were able to do the 81/77/26/95/301/75 trip in close to the "advertised" 12 hours (rain on I-95 in South Carolina screws up any trip since a lot of drivers can't handle it and drive slow in the left lane). I'm still waiting for an extension of I-77 from Columbia/Augusta to the Valdosta area to avoid the I-26/I-95 traffic.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.