News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Are there any freeways that are dangerous to travel due to crime?

Started by tribar, August 04, 2017, 12:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 21, 2017, 05:30:28 PM
Chicago ... West side ... Austin

The only place I've ever had someone throw rocks at me just for walking down the street.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Last week there was a rock throwing incident on I-75 in Michigan where a father of four was killed from one of the rocks. This happened at the Dodge Road overpass appox. mile marker 129 in between Mount Morris and Clio. Some teenagers from Clio thought it was a good idea to start throwing large rocks and even a tire at cars traveling southbound on I-75. They have been caught and are being charged as adults. The area that this happened in is a rural area about 10 miles north of Flint. The cops rarely travel down Dodge Road or Wilson Road (a mile north of Dodge). I travel on this stretch of I-75 on a regular basis.

FightingIrish

I-43 north of Downtown Milwaukee is pretty scary. If it's not wrong-way drunk drivers, it's a couple of recent shoot-outs on the highway.

SM-G950U

Buffaboy

As of yesterday, I-190 in Buffalo.

State Police investigating shooting incident on Niagara Thruway at rush hour

QuoteState Police reported they are investigating a shooting incident between two vehicles at about 6:15 p.m. Monday on the northbound Niagara Thruway near the Niagara Street exit in downtown Buffalo.

One of the cars involved in the incident came to rest against the median in the left lane near the Niagara Street ramp.

There were significant traffic delays as northbound rush hour traffic was restricted to one lane in the hours after the incident, as the center and left lanes were blocked.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/07/09/accident-causing-significant-traffic-delays-on-i-190-north/

Some people may remember that there was actually a standoff on I-190 about a decade ago, by the Peace Bridge.

http://www.lockportjournal.com/news/local_news/i--standoff-details-emerging-about-tense-incident/article_ea9c9f42-7945-540b-a618-d01f2265c49f.html
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Nacho

I have no qualms about driving on any Chicago expressway and frankly fears of them being unsafe due to crime are unfounded. It's not like people are going around shooting at random cars. Like most violence the victims are generally people the shooters know. I'd be more worried about crashing than the infinitesimal chance of a stray bullet hitting my car.

sparker

There's a joint project between the cities of Pittsburg, Concord, and Antioch, Contra Costa County, and Caltrans to post 24/7 high-resolution cameras along CA 242 between I-680 and CA 4 and CA 4 east of there to the CA 160 interchange.  Numerous shootings, ostensibly gang-related, have occurred on that combined stretch of highway over the past few years resulting in not only several direct fatalities & injuries but also quite a few vehicular incidents, some with serious injuries as well.  Since the facility was brought out from 2+2 to 4+4 (with additional slip lanes) over the past several years -- including improved lighting -- it was deemed relatively easy to place cameras on the lighting arrays.  Coverage is intended to be complete, with overlapping of fixed cameras and feeds to both local police and the county sheriffs' substation. 

Plans are in the works for a similar installation on I-80 between central Richmond and CA 4 -- it seems quite a bit of the gang activity has moved to that stretch of highway in the last year or so, causing several traffic delays in addition to the normal crime-related mayhem.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.