News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why doesn't Missouri use all letters?

Started by dvferyance, November 07, 2017, 05:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvferyance

Wisconsin uses all letters however Missouri leaves out a few. The letters G,I,L,Q and S are never used. The letter R is only occasionally used and the letter X is used just once in the whole state. The other 19 are used often. Any reason for this?

US71

Quote from: dvferyance on November 07, 2017, 05:20:09 PM
Wisconsin uses all letters however Missouri leaves out a few. The letters G,I,L,Q and S are never used. The letter R is only occasionally used and the letter X is used just once in the whole state. The other 19 are used often. Any reason for this?

Maybe to avoid confusion. S could pass for 8 at a glance , G for 6,  I or L for 1 ?

R is often RA (Recreation Areas) or AR (Ozark County becomes  Hwy 87 in Arkansas). Maybe single R is avoided to not be confused with P ?

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

dvferyance

Quote from: US71 on November 07, 2017, 05:46:13 PM

Maybe to avoid confusion. S could pass for 8 at a glance , G for 6,  I or L for 1 ?

R is often RA (Recreation Areas) or AR (Ozark County becomes  Hwy 87 in Arkansas). Maybe single R is avoided to not be confused with P ?
Although O is similar to zero and they use that. Using all letters works in Wisconsin there is no confusion I can't see why Missouri can't do the same.

US71

Quote from: dvferyance on November 07, 2017, 07:35:04 PM
Quote from: US71 on November 07, 2017, 05:46:13 PM

Although O is similar to zero and they use that. Using all letters works in Wisconsin there is no confusion I can't see why Missouri can't do the same.

But there is NO Highway Zero, and you'll never see "5-oh" (not even in Hawaii).  Five-Zero (50) yes.

Scott5114

Q isn't used because it could be confused for O, which is used.

I have no idea why X isn't used. The only reference to it I've seen was a line in a newspaper article where there was a flip remark about "nobody wanting to drive on an X-rated highway". My guess is that there's some weird superstition about it, like it resembling a cross/death. Or maybe to avoid confusion in MoDOT records since it might look like the highway designation was crossed out.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Henry

Theoretically, Interstate 0 would run along the Mexican border and the Gulf Coast (something that is handled by I-8, I-10 and now I-2), and US 0 would run along the Canadian border (which US 2 does), but the reason you will never see any Route/Highway 0 is because of a little thing called common sense. Most state highways start with the number 1, unless US 1 already runs through them, in which case 2 would be the first in line. In ME and NH, it would be 3, since both US 1 and US 2 exist in those states!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hotdogPi

Quote from: Henry on November 08, 2017, 09:28:12 AM
In ME and NH, it would be 3, since both US 1 and US 2 exist in those states!

NY also has a US 1 and US 2, but NY 2 also exists (as an extension of MA 2), as US 2 is so short in NY.

NH has a US 1, US 2, US 3, AND a US 4. This means NH 5 would be first..., except NH 4 also exists, and NH 5, 6, 7, and 8 don't.

I don't see 0 being a problem in certain cases. Definitely don't use it if numbers are assigned randomly. However, if there is a grid system, like the Interstates and US routes have, 0 is fine for a similar role as a coordinate axis.
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

dvferyance

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 08, 2017, 06:09:29 AM
Q isn't used because it could be confused for O, which is used.

I have no idea why X isn't used. The only reference to it I've seen was a line in a newspaper article where there was a flip remark about "nobody wanting to drive on an X-rated highway". My guess is that there's some weird superstition about it, like it resembling a cross/death. Or maybe to avoid confusion in MoDOT records since it might look like the highway designation was crossed out.
X is used once in Macon county however it's AX not solely X. I assume this is an abbreviation for a town in the area forget the name though.

kphoger

Quote from: dvferyance on November 08, 2017, 04:51:16 PM
X is used once in Macon county however it's AX not solely X. I assume this is an abbreviation for a town in the area forget the name though.

Axtell
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

silverback1065

hotdogPi

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 16, 2017, 06:24:05 PM
0 is an even number

What point are you trying to make here? Nobody here claimed that 0 was an odd number or tried to put a route numbered 0 onto a north-south corridor.
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

silverback1065

Quote from: 1 on November 16, 2017, 06:27:46 PM
0 is an even number

What point are you trying to make here? Nobody here claimed that 0 was an odd number or tried to put a route numbered 0 onto a north-south corridor.

the 0 as a beltway comment

kphoger

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 16, 2017, 06:29:11 PM
0 is an even number

So is 270, but that doesn't stop Ohio from using it on a beltway.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

dvferyance

Quote from: kphoger on November 17, 2017, 01:03:32 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on November 16, 2017, 06:29:11 PM
0 is an even number

So is 270, but that doesn't stop Ohio from using it on a beltway.
Colorado and Maryland use it too not as beltways but they use it.

kphoger

And Florida uses some even numbers on roads that aren't beltways too.    :crazy:
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Oklahoma did put 0 onto a north-south corridor, but they didn't sign it. (Then again, they put 9 on an east-west corridor, because I think initially the odd/even convention was flipped in Oklahoma, at least until the system became riddled with inconsistencies, as happens with anything ODOT touches).

Scott5114

Oklahoma has never had a renumbering. The original set of routes were established in 1924 and it's just organically grown from there. 9, for instance, is an original 1924 route. New routes were just assigned whatever number was available. A lot of the lower-numbered routes are on their second or third iteration, since a lot of the low 1924 routes were wiped out by US highways in 1926.

MikeTheActuary

I suppose you could use 0 as an inner loop and 00 as an outer loop on a two beltway city.  :)

Scott5114

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on November 19, 2017, 01:08:09 PM
I suppose you could use 0 as an inner loop and 00 as an outer loop on a two beltway city.  :)

Oklahoma actually had two roads they wanted to use 0 on in the same county. One became 0 and the other became 0B.

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 19, 2017, 04:02:09 AM
Oklahoma has never had a renumbering. The original set of routes were established in 1924 and it's just organically grown from there. 9, for instance, is an original 1924 route. New routes were just assigned whatever number was available. A lot of the lower-numbered routes are on their second or third iteration, since a lot of the low 1924 routes were wiped out by US highways in 1926.

There was never a great renumbering, but a lot of numbers have changed over time. For example, the only highway in LeFlore County that hasn't changed is OK 9. The only highway in Tulsa County that hasn't changed is OK 11 north of the Gilcrease Expressway.

bugo

Don't forget about Highway 00 in Poteau.

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 19, 2017, 04:02:09 AM

The only parts of OK 9 that run along the same basic corridor as they did in 1924 are from the Texas state line to Chickasha and from Stigler to Braden.

US 89

Getting the thread slightly back on topic, why does Missouri use O when it could be confused for 0?

Scott5114

Good question. It doesn't make much sense.

US71

Quote from: roadguy2 on December 28, 2017, 12:49:19 AM
Getting the thread slightly back on topic, why does Missouri use O when it could be confused for 0?

Maybe because they don't have a highway Zero?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.