News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How do they do that? Moving the traffic barrier on Ben Franklin Bridge

Started by BrianP, November 22, 2017, 10:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianP

QuoteThe lane changes are accomplished by a bus-like vehicle called the Road Zipper, which swiftly swallows up more than a mile of connected road barrier, transferring it, intact, from one edge of traffic lane four to the other edge.
QuoteThe Zipper can operate in either direction across a bridge and without turning around because it has dual cabs, each with steering wheel and instrument panel facing in opposite directions.

Unlike its name, however, the vehicle hardly zips through lane four. It operates at tortoise speeds between 5 and 10 mph.

It can take up to 45 minutes to travel from one end of the bridge to the other.

sparker

Quote from: BrianP on November 22, 2017, 10:29:50 AM
QuoteThe lane changes are accomplished by a bus-like vehicle called the Road Zipper, which swiftly swallows up more than a mile of connected road barrier, transferring it, intact, from one edge of traffic lane four to the other edge.
QuoteThe Zipper can operate in either direction across a bridge and without turning around because it has dual cabs, each with steering wheel and instrument panel facing in opposite directions.

Unlike its name, however, the vehicle hardly zips through lane four. It operates at tortoise speeds between 5 and 10 mph.

It can take up to 45 minutes to travel from one end of the bridge to the other.

A similar system has been in operation on the Golden Gate Bridge for several years now; it seems to work reasonably well at optimizing the traffic flow in either direction.

wanderer2575

Michigan used this several years ago during a midstate reconstruction of I-75, when all traffic was moved to one side of the freeway, to provide the extra northbound lane Thursdays through Saturdays and then the extra southbound lane for traffic returning home after the weekend.

US 89

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 23, 2017, 01:53:30 PM
Michigan used this several years ago during a midstate reconstruction of I-75, when all traffic was moved to one side of the freeway, to provide the extra northbound lane Thursdays through Saturdays and then the extra southbound lane for traffic returning home after the weekend.

Utah did the same thing during the I-15 reconstruction in northern SL County around 10 years ago. There were 5 lanes total, and they switched it so that the 3-lane direction was consistent with rush hour travel (south in morning, north in evening). I don't remember what they did with it on the weekends.

BrianP

Quote from: roadguy2 on November 23, 2017, 02:28:23 PM

Utah did the same thing during the I-15 reconstruction in northern SL County around 10 years ago. There were 5 lanes total, and they switched it so that the 3-lane direction was consistent with rush hour travel (south in morning, north in evening). I don't remember what they did with it on the weekends.
Did they move the barrier's with zipper vehicles? Considering the cost of the machines, I guess they would rent the machines since the need for them would be temporary.

GaryV

Quote from: BrianP on November 24, 2017, 11:07:32 AM
Quote from: roadguy2 on November 23, 2017, 02:28:23 PM

Utah did the same thing during the I-15 reconstruction in northern SL County around 10 years ago. There were 5 lanes total, and they switched it so that the 3-lane direction was consistent with rush hour travel (south in morning, north in evening). I don’t remember what they did with it on the weekends.
Did they move the barrier's with zipper vehicles? Considering the cost of the machines, I guess they would rent the machines since the need for them would be temporary.

What is this "temporary" you speak of?  I-75 is perpetually under construction.   :banghead:

KEVIN_224

I think the old Tappan Zee Bridge had a zipper vehicle, too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.