News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Help me take better signal photos

Started by traffic light guy, December 18, 2017, 06:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jakeroot on April 09, 2018, 09:08:04 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 08, 2018, 10:39:25 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 07, 2018, 02:19:08 AM
Quote from: traffic light guy on February 22, 2018, 07:30:03 PM
Good God this setup is bland:

TCT traffic signals along the Huntingdon Pike

WOAH there, chief. Peek's and TCT's are beautiful works of art.

IMO, the only truly "bland" signal design out there are McCain's. All others are at least moderately more interesting.

I'd say the modern Aluminum Econolites are just as bland. Looks like a Durasig from the front, but a McCain from the back...
Singer signals are also kinda bland, but a few of the small details (like the larger visors on them compared to most signals, triangular mounts for the latches, and the fact that they use dzus fasteners for the latches) makes them more interesting than McCains and aluminum Econolites to me.

This is true. I have to wonder if the McCain style is cheaper to manufacture than something more "creative". I saw an Alusig in Seattle yesterday that was, frankly, quite boring. I thought they had a different design than what I saw, but it very clearly said Alusig on the back...

8 inch Alusigs (like what you posted) somewhat more interesting than 8 inch Durasigs, IMO (partly due to them being slightly rarer and having bumps on the side that Durasigs lack), but their 12 inch signals look like Durasigs without the cone going as far back. Here's a few pictures comparing the two:
8 inch Alusig by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

12 inch Alusig by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

8 inch Durasig by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

12 inch Durasig by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Also, it's worth noting that when G&W took over Eagle Signal around 1970, they split Eagle into two companies: Durasig and Alusig. Durasig made polycarbonate signals while Alusig made aluminum signals. This lasted until Eagle merged with LFE in the late 80s (maybe early 90s) to form Mark IV (later bought by Siemens and then sold off to Brown Traffic Products, now Mobotrex, a few years ago).
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

traffic light guy

I've you've noticed my recent pictures have been looking extra sharp. I tweaked the settings on my camera, although it doesn't look the best, it looks miles ahead of my pictures from 2016. I also plan on going back to Lower Merion and retaking pictures of those old doghouses in better quality.

basilicon89

Durasig and Alusig were not two companies. They were Gulf and Western brand names for the signals Eagle made. The names were discontinued after Gulf and Western sold off Eagle Signal. Mark IV discontinued the Alusig model in favor of their own signal head but kept Durasig.

It wasn't until a few years ago when current Eagle owner "Mobotrex"  updated the molds and removed the old brand name

From the late 80s on the Durasig design was known as Type SA...unknown what SA refers to.

formulanone

Not much of a signal fan, but here's a shot of some traffic lights from Calhoun City, Mississippi last week:

traffic light guy

Anyways, there a few setups that another guy has captured, he goes by the name macsignals. Let's compare the two.
Same intersections, different people. These are in Levittown:

Image 1
Macsignals:
12" Flatback doghouse w/ Durasig by Macsignals

traffic light guy:
Eagle flatback doghouse, an Econolite, and an 8-inch Eagle flatback by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

Image 2

Macsignals:
Eagle Doghouse by Macsignals

traffic light guy:
Eagle flatback doghouse, a Peek, an 8-inch eagle flatback, and an eaglelux by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

Image 3
Macsignals:
Down the road, all 12" Flatback Eagles w/Doghouse by Macsignals

traffic light guy:
Side-mounted Eagle flatback doghouse by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

jakeroot

I don't think the comparisons are necessary. Your quality has clearly improved.

traffic light guy

Quote from: jakeroot on May 10, 2018, 10:53:05 PM
I don't think the comparisons are necessary. Your quality has clearly improved.

I've been using a different camera for my newest photos

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.