AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Railroad bridges converted into road bridges  (Read 2228 times)

bugo

• Last Login: November 16, 2018, 11:08:07 AM
    • No Frills Blog
Re: Railroad bridges converted into road bridges
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2018, 08:44:35 PM »

The Carpenters Bluff bridge over the Red River east of Denison, Texas. Until it was replaced earlier this year, it was originally built for the railroad with a wooden roadway attached to the side (sort of like the Harahan at Memphis). When the RR was abandoned (IIRC in the 60's), the rr deck was converted to a one lane roadway and the attached road deck was closed to all but Bikes and pedestrians.  I have some photos that I will try to get posted.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7565327,-96.4133708,798m/data=!3m1!1e3

I'm under the impression that that bridge is going to be preserved as a foot crossing. I hope that is true.
This signature has been censored by the AARoads Bureau of Morality.

ErmineNotyours

• Last Login: Today at 12:13:04 AM
Re: Railroad bridges converted into road bridges
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 12:47:56 AM »

This bridge over the Carbon River was pressed into service as a one-lane detour route while the highway bridge was rebuilt.  This was after the railroad was abandoned but before it was built out as a trail.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.