News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cincinnati to Cooperstown/NYC

Started by Mike_OH, March 22, 2018, 04:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_OH

I'm planning an early-May trip to Cooperstown, NY and then on to New York City.  This will be the second time my dad and I have made this trip (the first being December 2001).  I am wondering what the best route is to get there?  Google Maps suggests I-71 to I-90, but I'm also wondering about zig-zagging through Pennsylvania and Southern New York using I-70, I-76, I-88, and others.  One thing I am concerned about how much the tolls are on I-90.

kalvado

Quote from: Mike_OH on March 22, 2018, 04:45:53 PM
I'm planning an early-May trip to Cooperstown, NY and then on to New York City.  This will be the second time my dad and I have made this trip (the first being December 2001).  I am wondering what the best route is to get there?  Google Maps suggests I-71 to I-90, but I'm also wondering about zig-zagging through Pennsylvania and Southern New York using I-70, I-76, I-88, and others.  One thing I am concerned about how much the tolls are on I-90.
Tolls on I-90 are not that bad. Albany to Buffalo is something like $15.
You may also look at US-20 as an option.

froggie

Another option that would avoid the tolls on the Thruway (I-90 NY) and the traffic on I-80 PA would be to take I-86/NY 17 across to Binghamton, then up I-88 to NY 28 to Cooperstown.

jemacedo9

Quote from: froggie on March 23, 2018, 10:22:09 AM
Another option that would avoid the tolls on the Thruway (I-90 NY) and the traffic on I-80 PA would be to take I-86/NY 17 across to Binghamton, then up I-88 to NY 28 to Cooperstown.

+1 to this routing...

hbelkins

Quote from: jemacedo9 on March 23, 2018, 10:28:30 AM
Quote from: froggie on March 23, 2018, 10:22:09 AM

+1 to this routing...

Have they done anything about the rough pavement on I-86 between the Pennsylvania state line and I-390? I was across that a few years ago and it was in terrible shape.

From Cincy, how about Corridor D to I-79 to I-68 to I-70 to I-81 to I-88? Or exit I-68 and use US 220/I-99 to I-86 to I-81 to I-88?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

AsphaltPlanet

The bit east of Salamanca easterly to I-390 has been improved in recent years -- can't say for the western bit.  I-86 no longer constitutes a really long staircase.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.