Rulebreakers (my new line of bubble gum and electric bikes)

Started by bandit957, May 02, 2018, 01:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

I mentioned this on another forum a few months ago, and I was called a marketing genius!

I have an idea for a new line of products. It would use the brand name Rulebreakers.

You see, society has a lot of rules that should be challenged every once in a while. These products would appeal to those who wish to challenge these rules. My first Rulebreakers product was bubble gum. The commercials would show people chewing this scrumptious gum in places where it might be prohibited, such as in a classroom, a workplace meeting, or Singapore - and of course blowing obnoxiously huge bubbles as they danced around to the jingle. At the end of the commersh, the antagonist (for instance, the teacher or boss or your dentist) would say, "Can I try a piece?"

Another Rulebreakers product I came up with was electric bicycles. A couple states - Kentucky comes to mind - seem to have ridiculously prohibitive laws against electric bikes, designed to stymie this exciting new technology. So the ad could show someone careening down the street on a Rulebreakers bike!

Isn't this a cool idea?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hotdogPi

I've seen electric gum before. You try to take a piece, and it shocks you.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

abefroman329

Idea #1 sounds a lot like the old Mentos commercials.

jeffandnicole

So your marketing plan is to sell things where they are prohibited?

Works for drugs, I guess.

briantroutman

This approach is verrry well-worn in the sales of products to children–to the point that I'd call it an old saw.

Skateboard ads where a "rad"  twelve-year-old is grinding across the school steps underneath giant "NO SKATEBOARDING"  signs and the disapproving glare of stuffy looking teachers. Commercials where kids bust out a nuclear-powered boombox in a library, much to the consternation of the old maid librarian with a "SHHHHHH!"  plaque bolted to her desk–while they do something über rebellious, like eat fruit snacks.

abefroman329

Also, "rules that need to be challenged" is a highly, highly subjective list.

bandit957

Quote from: briantroutman on May 02, 2018, 04:00:16 PM
This approach is verrry well-worn in the sales of products to children–to the point that I'd call it an old saw.

Skateboard ads where a "rad"  twelve-year-old is grinding across the school steps underneath giant "NO SKATEBOARDING"  signs and the disapproving glare of stuffy looking teachers. Commercials where kids bust out a nuclear-powered boombox in a library, much to the consternation of the old maid librarian with a "SHHHHHH!"  plaque bolted to her desk–while they do something über rebellious, like eat fruit snacks.

But these are unrealistic situations, and my products would be marketed to adults too.

About 25 years ago, I read a news article that said that several large counties in Florida had a law that prohibited vendors at the county's major airport from selling gum - because it might hurt the feelings of someone who didn't know how to blow bubbles. This ban was enough of a pointless frustration to justify open defiance by adults.

abefroman329

Quote from: bandit957 on May 02, 2018, 04:17:37 PMAbout 25 years ago, I read a news article that said that several large counties in Florida had a law that prohibited vendors at the county's major airport from selling gum - because it might hurt the feelings of someone who didn't know how to blow bubbles. This ban was enough of a pointless frustration to justify open defiance by adults.

I found this, which states that Orlando International Airport vendors are forbidden from selling gum, but it's because the airport didn't want to have to clean up used gum that people stuck under chairs and tables and such.  And it's perfectly fine for people to chew gum they brought with them to the airport. 

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2001-01-24/news/0101240233_1_chew-gum-orlando-international-airport-gum-sales

Good Lord, is "several large counties in Florida had a law that prohibited vendors at the county's major airport from selling gum - because it might hurt the feelings of someone who didn't know how to blow bubbles" even remotely plausible to you?  How odd.

kphoger

Are you planning to build factories to produce all your unrelated products, or are you just going to slap your RulebreakersTM logo on stuff other people are already making?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bandit957

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 02, 2018, 04:29:06 PM
I found this, which states that Orlando International Airport vendors are forbidden from selling gum, but it's because the airport didn't want to have to clean up used gum that people stuck under chairs and tables and such.

It's still a stupid reason.

The only time in my life I've ever had to take a commercial flight, I noticed someone stuck a gigantic wad of bubble gum on a toilet at the Atlanta airport. Hardly the end of the world.

bandit957

Quote from: kphoger on May 02, 2018, 04:42:46 PM
Are you planning to build factories to produce all your unrelated products, or are you just going to slap your RulebreakersTM logo on stuff other people are already making?

Maybe contract with companies that make gum that is specially formulated to blow the biggest bubbles, or electric bikes that are faster than normal.

adventurernumber1

I like this.  :nod:  :thumbsup:

Since I have acid reflux, I have found that chewing gum (usually mint or cinnamon) can ease some symptoms to an extent. So even though this is the only reason I chew gum, because of it, I chew a lot of gum. This means that I have to chew gum in places like school, if my acid reflux happens to be particularly fired up (which is more often than not). This means I am extremely supportive of chewing gum in a wide variety of places, even if it goes against the norms. Going against the norms isn't always a bad thing.

I wish you much luck in your quest in business, and hopefully you will have much success.  :nod:  :thumbsup:

Quote from: bandit957 on May 02, 2018, 05:16:15 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 02, 2018, 04:29:06 PM
I found this, which states that Orlando International Airport vendors are forbidden from selling gum, but it's because the airport didn't want to have to clean up used gum that people stuck under chairs and tables and such.

It's still a stupid reason.

The only time in my life I've ever had to take a commercial flight, I noticed someone stuck a gigantic wad of bubble gum on a toilet at the Atlanta airport. Hardly the end of the world.

The worst incident I've had with encountering some substance under a table that wasn't supposed to be there wasn't even with gum. It was actually human snot. This was in school two years ago. I was sitting in a computer class at a desk, and as I often do (though this experience taught me to tread more carefully when doing this), I propped my knees up on the underside of the desk to relax. This was a big, big mistake this time (  :ded: ). The largest chunk of snot I've ever seen in my entire life was then stuck on my knee, originating from under the desk. This was absolutely disgusting. Let's say I was in the bathroom washing my leg with soap and water for a very, very, very long time (especially since I have cleaning compulsions due to OCD).  :wow:  X-(  :-D

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

webny99

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on May 02, 2018, 05:32:57 PM
The worst incident I've had with encountering some substance under a table that wasn't supposed to be there wasn't even with gum. It was actually human snot. This was in school two years ago. I was sitting in a computer class at a desk, and as I often do (though this experience taught me to tread more carefully when doing this), I propped my knees up on the underside of the desk to relax. This was a big, big mistake this time (  :ded: ). The largest chunk of snot I've ever seen in my entire life was then stuck on my knee, originating from under the desk. This was absolutely disgusting. Let's say I was in the bathroom washing my leg with soap and water for a very, very, very long time (especially since I have cleaning compulsions due to OCD).  :wow:  X-(  :-D

I smiled as I read the OP (especially at "commersh"  :ded:) but this legitimately made me bust up laughing  :rofl:
That is hilarious.

Regarding the actual subject, I don't think everyone is a born rulebreaker. I would possibly chew gum where it's forbidden, but not because its forbidden. You need a target market for this stuff  :paranoid:

adventurernumber1

Quote from: webny99 on May 02, 2018, 05:41:37 PM

I smiled as I read the OP (especially at "commersh"  :ded:) but this legitimately made me bust up laughing  :rofl:
That is hilarious.

It was absolute torture right when it happened, but whenever I think back on it (including when mentioning it in this thread), I, too, die laughing, because the whole thing was pretty dang hilarious, especially since it was ridiculous and unexpected.

:banghead:  :rofl:  :rofl:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

bandit957

The exact same thing happened to me once in middle school - only it was fluorescent green bubble gum. That pair of pants was completely ruined by the gum on the knee.

Scott5114

Now I'm picturing an ad where a smiling H.B. Elkins holds a radar detector in one hand and gives the thumbs up with the other while standing under a Welcome to Virginia sign.

[Edit: I doubt he would ever do such a thing; I always get the impression that he is quite fastidious about avoiding radar-detector use in Virginia.]
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Scott5114

Quote from: bandit957 on May 02, 2018, 01:46:39 PM
The commercials would show people chewing this scrumptious gum in places where it might be prohibited, such as in a classroom, a workplace meeting, or Singapore - and of course blowing obnoxiously huge bubbles as they danced around to the jingle. At the end of the commersh, the antagonist (for instance, the teacher or boss or your dentist) would say, "Can I try a piece?"

I want to see how the commersh where the antagonist is Singapore ends. Would it be just the President of Singapore asking for a piece, or do you think you could get all 5.6 million residents to speak in unison?

SectorZ

Quote from: bandit957 on May 02, 2018, 01:46:39 PM
Another Rulebreakers product I came up with was electric bicycles. A couple states - Kentucky comes to mind - seem to have ridiculously prohibitive laws against electric bikes, designed to stymie this exciting new technology. So the ad could show someone careening down the street on a Rulebreakers bike!

Isn't this a cool idea?

Nope. E-bikes are cheating. No wonder we're such an obese country.

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 02, 2018, 06:09:53 PM
Now I'm picturing an ad where a smiling H.B. Elkins holds a radar detector in one hand and gives the thumbs up with the other while standing under a Welcome to Virginia sign.

[Edit: I doubt he would ever do such a thing; I always get the impression that he is quite fastidious about avoiding radar-detector use in Virginia.]

You are correct. My most frequent point of entry into Virginia is at Pound Gap on US 23; the Valentine One comes down from its mount as I approach the US 23 intersection along US 119.

I know V1 has a smartphone app that can be used as the display for the detector. What they really need to market is a "stealth" unit that can be concealed behind the grille of the vehicle that sends a signal to the smartphone app. I wouldn't think twice about using that sucker in the People's Republic of Virginia. (Hi Takumi. LOL)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kurumi

Tim, you should write a screenplay. "Footloose" but instead of dancing, it's gum.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

vdeane

Quote from: hbelkins on May 04, 2018, 11:36:06 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 02, 2018, 06:09:53 PM

You are correct. My most frequent point of entry into Virginia is at Pound Gap on US 23; the Valentine One comes down from its mount as I approach the US 23 intersection along US 119.

I know V1 has a smartphone app that can be used as the display for the detector. What they really need to market is a "stealth" unit that can be concealed behind the grille of the vehicle that sends a signal to the smartphone app. I wouldn't think twice about using that sucker in the People's Republic of Virginia. (Hi Takumi. LOL)
If Google is accurate, this location is still in Kentucky, and it even has a good parking/turnaround spot in front of the sign on the right side of the road!

I think I may have read somewhere about radar detector detectors, so even disguised ones might be noticed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

index

Can this be the theme song for the brand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_nuOvFDnzg

This is the most rebellious-sounding song I know of. Quite a fit for this, don't you think?
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

vdeane

I can see that song fitting quite well with the "commersh" format specified.  We introduce the person with the song playing, they start their activity, have their dealings with the authorities (I'm envisioning the only sound being the music until the end), then the music cuts out and the authority figure asks if they can try the gum or whatever.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: index on May 04, 2018, 04:37:30 PM
Can this be the theme song for the brand?

I was imagining a bad knockoff of the 1990s Mentos commercials, but when the screen freezes at the end, the same announcer says "The Rulebreakers" instead of "The Freshmaker".

There were a few people making parody Mentos commercials on YouTube a few years back. A few of them were even funny.

Quote from: kurumi on May 04, 2018, 12:02:41 PM
Tim, you should write a screenplay. "Footloose" but instead of dancing, it's gum.

I don't watch movies but I'd watch one written by Tim.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 05, 2018, 03:48:37 AM
I don't watch movies but I'd watch one written by Tim.

A family of Speak n' Spell people cross the country searching for the last box of Bubblicious Strawberry Gum in existence while debating obscure movies and listening to reruns of "American Top 40" with Casey Kasem while making fun of the songs.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.