News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Poll: Highway Cruising Speed?

Started by adwerkema, May 15, 2018, 10:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your cruising speed on highways? (Assume free-flowing traffic)

More than 10 mph below
6-10 mph below
1-5 mph below
Exactly the speed limit
1-5 mph above
6-10 mph above
More than 10 mph above

adwerkema

There seems to be a variety of people's preferred highway cruising speeds. What's yours and why? (Assume free-flowing traffic)

For local trips, my cruising speed is 5 mph above. It feels like this is the regional equilibrium between being passed and passing others. For vacations/long road trips, my cruising speed is exactly the speed limit. I get to spend less time passing and more time focusing on the scenery.

jeffandnicole

Generally 75-79 mph...so it can be anywhere from 5 - 20 above.

ilpt4u

Depends on the area and speed limit

On the ISTHA Tollways around Chicagoland, 55 MPH is severly undersigned, when free flowing traffic flows in the 70-75 MPH range (I believe the Chicago Tribune studied it a few years back and reported average speed in the low 70s on many segments of the Tollways). I probably roll in the 75-80 crowd there, honestly. Same could be said for the I-465 Beltway around Indy - woefully undersigned, and equally ignored

Out in Rural Areas, cruising speed is probably in the 75-85 MPH range, depending on Signed Speed Limit (55-70)

In a Metro area I am less familiar with, I will simply flow with traffic. If Locals stick to the Limit or close to, I will. If traffic is flowing @ 80 MPH in a 55...well, I ain't getting run over

NoGoodNamesAvailable

I'm in the speed limit camp–set cruise, stay in the right lane. In my neck of the woods people in the right lane are usually doing 2-8 over so it's rare I'll have to slow down. If someone is actually going slow enough for me to pass, I just move left and back and don't touch cruise. It's the least taxing way to drive on the highway and also gives you the best fuel efficiency.

I don't take personal offense to people passing me like a lot of drivers seem to. Others can go around me. If a left laner seems intent on matching me I'll fall back as a courtesy and let the conga line behind them undertake them.

Flint1979

On Interstate's and other freeways I do 10 over usually. On I-75 I do 80 mph, speed limit is 70 south of Bay City, 75 north of Bay City.

Flint1979

And I'd like to add that the freeway's that have a 55 mph speed limit in Michigan are usually ignored. Most people around here drive the speed they are comfortable driving. I know the 55 mph zones in Detroit are totally ignored.

jakeroot

If the limit is 60, I usually find myself going around 72-74, the typical speed of the inner lanes around here. Congestion has gotten so bad around here, when there isn't any traffic, people just don't give a shit and start pushing it.

If the limit is 70, no more than 80. Mostly because of fuel economy.

sparker

Around these parts, cruising speed is dependent upon freeway layout and, of course, traffic level.  When clear, I'm usually about 8-10 miles over posted limits on 4+4 facilities such as I-580 over Altamont Pass -- and my guess is I'm right around the mean speed (I pass about the same number as those who pass me!).  I'm on I-880 up to Oakland and Alameda at least once a week; it's down to the limit or no more than +3 to +5 simply because of (a) higher traffic volume, (b) the periodic curvature often masks congestion ahead (particularly around San Leandro and the Coliseum area of Oakland), so I tend to back off a bit that far north, and (c) it's the most heavily patrolled (CHP and Alameda county sheriffs) in the region.  Just about everything around here is a straight 65; 880 drops to 55 north of Oakland Airport.  The only 70 zones are on I-5, I-580 east of Altamont, and parts of CA 99 over in the Valley.  During daytime one can usually do 75-80 without fear of being pulled over; it usually takes blatant speed exhibition to arouse the CHP in that area -- and they're on the prowl for DUI's at night (as well they should be!).  My Camry may as well not have cruise control (it's a bit tricky these days); the 4-runner's better; if I'm driving it in the Valley, the cruise is set at about 77 during the day and about 73 at night.  I certainly don't bother with cruise control within this urban region; the few times I tried it locally I ended up braking out of it within 5 minutes! 

I'll have to pay attention to my speeds on my next trip down to my old stomping grounds in the high desert -- it seems everyone's 10-15 over the limit out on 15 or 58; that always seemed to be S.O.P. out there!   

TheHighwayMan3561

Typically no more than 3-5 over regardless of limit or whatever the other traffic is doing.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

I drive 8-9 mph over the speed limit, even when traffic is doing more than that. 

Used to go up to 15 over, like 70 in a 55.  I was overconfident in my ability to detect speed traps.  My last speeding ticket in 2013 put an end to that (I think I have had 3 in my life).  Haven't had one since.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jemacedo9

I generally do the speed of traffic, which in the Northeast means:

55 mph rural - I'll do 70 
55 mph urban/suburban = I'll do 75
65 mph rural = I'll do 75
65 mph urban/suburban = I'll do 80
70 mph rural = I'll do 80

I find that above those speeds, I risk getting pulled over, but at those speeds, I won't.

webny99

IMO, the poll should combine 0-10 mph over the limit, and have a new option for 10-20 mph over. I usually fit into that latter category, although I have been known to go up to 80 mph in a 55, especially on roads with low traffic volumes in areas with no known cop hideouts.
But generally speaking, anything more than 20 over is fairly risky around here. Cops love to nab you for 78 in a 55, or 88 in a 65, where they can, by the slimmest of margins, get you for going more than 20 over.

My preferred cruising speed with my family is around 8-12 mph over the limit. On my own, I assume a bit less liability and tend to go a little faster than that, especially in 55 mph zones.

webny99

Quote from: jemacedo9 on May 16, 2018, 07:31:02 AM

By Northeast, you really mean East Coast. Inland, in areas like upstate NY, rural freeways tend to move much faster than urban ones. We don't get those freight trains of speed demons like they do on the coast  ;-)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 16, 2018, 02:13:03 AM
And I'd like to add that the freeway's that have a 55 mph speed limit in Michigan America are usually ignored. Most people around here drive the speed they are comfortable driving. I know the 55 mph zones in Detroit every city in the nation are totally ignored.

Fixed

jemacedo9

Quote from: webny99 on May 16, 2018, 08:20:34 AM
Quote from: jemacedo9 on May 16, 2018, 07:31:02 AM

By Northeast, you really mean East Coast. Inland, in areas like upstate NY, rural freeways tend to move much faster than urban ones. We don't get those freight trains of speed demons like they do on the coast  ;-)

I'm up in the Rochester area one week out of every month. (I lived there 2007-2016.)

In the Rochester area, the SLs are 55 and I tend to do 70.
Most of my travels in rural W NY lately are on I-390 and I-86, and in those 65 areas, if I go 75, I am passing most traffic without cops pulling out.  Though I will say that in the past year, I've noticed traffic speeds picking up a little over what I'm used to.

I like to stick to speed limit minus one or two; if the speed limit is 55 I'll go 53-54 and set cruise control (something a great deal of people around here seem to have forgotten how to use), using the extra 1-2 mph as a buffer zone so I don't end up technically speeding while going down a hill or something.

Although let me also say that my road rage levels are much lower even in congested hallway traffic than they were on the average day in the hallways of my high school.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

Takumi

I go with the flow of traffic, generally. Usually a few miles over the limit, typically up to 10 unless traffic is going faster than that.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Jardine

Kick on Sirius/XM radio, set AC  to freeze carbon dioxide out of the air, and dial up the exact speed limit on the cruise control.

Drive all day long and enjoy the ride.

:popcorn:

MNHighwayMan

On highways I've driven many times, I tend to do 6-10 mph more than the speed limit. Sometimes, it's even more than that if I just really want to get to my destination. I-35 in Iowa and Minnesota is a common cause of this, for me.

On highways I've never driven or only driven a few times, it's no more than 5 mph above the speed limit. I like to see the scenery and be on the lookout for interesting, roadgeek-y things.

The only time these rules change is in construction zones, in which case I will do at most the speed limit, out of principle.

Henry

Quote from: Jardine on May 16, 2018, 09:21:26 AM
Kick on Sirius/XM radio, set AC  to freeze carbon dioxide out of the air, and dial up the exact speed limit on the cruise control.

Drive all day long and enjoy the ride.

:popcorn:
Same for me! :cheers:
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ET21

Generally in Chicagoland: In city, 70 mph. Rural: 78-80 mph.

Average on road trips: About 65 in city, 75 in rural. Out of state I tend to go over the limit but not as much
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

adwerkema

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 16, 2018, 08:33:37 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 16, 2018, 02:13:03 AM
And I'd like to add that the freeway's that have a 55 mph speed limit in Michigan America are usually ignored. Most people around here drive the speed they are comfortable driving. I know the 55 mph zones in Detroit every city in the nation are totally ignored.
Fixed

Nice  :-D

MCRoads

My parents usually go 5 over, as cops (usually) won’t waste their time on such a minute violation. However, there are some exceptions, such as I-40 in NM, where outside of Albuquerque, we usually go 80 (because who cares?) Although there is a speed trap between Albuquerque and Grants.

Also, anyone who puts the speed limit at 55 is relying on a law so antiquated, its not even funny. We need a minimum max speed of 65 (except for some exemptions).
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

hotdogPi

Quote from: MCRoads on May 16, 2018, 10:29:22 AM
We need a minimum max speed of 65 (except for some exemptions).

Which roads does it apply to, though? These should not be 65:

• I-93 through Franconia Notch
  • I-93 in the tunnels in Boston
  • MA 2 near the at-grade intersections from ​approximately exits 27-32
  • Lowell Connector
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

21stCenturyRoad

Rural Freeway/Interstate - 75
Urban Freeway- 70
Rural Road - <= 15 over speed limit
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.