News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Do you like Coleslaw?

Started by jeffandnicole, May 25, 2018, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like coleslaw?

Yes
20 (39.2%)
No
26 (51%)
I prefer the thicker, chopped type
8 (15.7%)
I prefer the thinner, creamed cabbage type
8 (15.7%)
I gotta go off topic and want to talk about potato salad
8 (15.7%)
I like Macronni Salad
9 (17.6%)
If you like Macaroni Salad, spell it correctly
12 (23.5%)
What are you, the spelling police?
11 (21.6%)
Back on topic, I still want to vote for coleslaw, but I don't like vinegar in mine.  What option can I choose?
3 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 51

kj3400

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 25, 2018, 10:20:23 AM
Some people will tell you mayonnaise is an ingredient in blue cheese dressing, which I could consume by the gallon.  These people are liars.
Blue cheese dressing is disgusting. As is coleslaw.
I do love a good potato salad though. Macaroni salad is hit or miss for me.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

bugo

The only salad I like is BBQ salad which is made of sliced beef brisket, pulled pork, BBQ sauce, plain white bread and nothing else.

english si

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 25, 2018, 03:19:25 PMNot really, usually it is the only part of fish and chips I pawn off to someone else at the table.
Chips, sure, if going for the Belgian (original - fries definitely ain't 'French') experience. But not fish-and-chips. Who puts mayo on their fish supper? Not Brits, that's for sure!

Salt and malt vinegar (actually tends to be non-brewed condiment) is traditionally all you need. Ketchup is perfectly fine. Maybe some regional variance - 'chippy sauce' in parts of Scotland, mushy peas in Northern England. Maybe, just maybe, tartar sauce - though that's really only for restaurants or home (I never seen it on display, let alone anyone buy it in a chip shop). Sides are picked onions or eggs.

Tartar sauce works, I guess - it's vinegary and that's what you want - some nice acid to cut through the stodge of batter and chips. Also why ketchup is fine - it has the vinegar. I guess mayo is fine, but it's just not done (at least not without adding stuff and making it tartar).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kj3400 on May 26, 2018, 04:32:34 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 25, 2018, 10:20:23 AM
Some people will tell you mayonnaise is an ingredient in blue cheese dressing, which I could consume by the gallon.  These people are liars.
Blue cheese dressing is disgusting. As is coleslaw.
I do love a good potato salad though. Macaroni salad is hit or miss for me.

I will take a fork, pick the chunks of cheese out of the blue cheese dressing, and eat it just like that. The larger the chunks, the better!

Hellmanns made a great blue cheese like that.there's some pizza places that get something similiar too; I'm guessing it's a restaurant-only name brand.

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on May 26, 2018, 06:48:20 PM
The only salad I like is BBQ salad which is made of sliced beef brisket, pulled pork, BBQ sauce and plain white bread and nothing else.

Never heard of that, but it sounds quite delicious.

I'm not a salad eater either. (You can tell by looking at me. LOL) I will eat fruit salad as long as it's basically just mixed fruit, with no mayo or sour cream or anything like that added.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

The only salad I like is BBQ salad which is made of sliced beef brisket, pulled pork, BBQ sauce and plain white bread and nothing else.

Wait, this is a thing?

bugo

Quote from: hbelkins on May 26, 2018, 09:32:13 PM

I just made it up. The point is that I don't eat salad. I am a carnivore. I could live on just meat.

bugo

Quote from: bugo on May 26, 2018, 09:43:11 PM

I just made it up. The point is that I don't eat salad. I am a carnivore. I could live on just meat.
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 26, 2018, 09:40:04 PM
Wait, this is a thing?

It is now.

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on May 26, 2018, 09:43:11 PM

Pro-tip: Buns aren't quite as messy as white bread.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bugo

I learned to appreciate a BBQ sandwich on plain white bread when I lived in Kansas City. Most BBQ joints there use Wonder bread. I still like buns, but there's something about some good BBQ on white bread.

abefroman329

Quote from: bugo on May 26, 2018, 10:01:16 PM
I learned to appreciate a BBQ sandwich on plain white bread when I lived in Kansas City. Most BBQ joints there use Wonder bread. I still like buns, but there's something about some good BBQ on white bread.

It's because of the way it soaks up the meat juice and BBQ sauce.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

cjk374

Tater salad down here is made with mustard. Mayo is gross! Miracle Whip is much better.

Cole slaw is delicious at some places, nasty ass shit at others. I know one place that uses their own recipe of cole slaw on po-boy sandwiches instead of mayo. It makes the po-boy absolutely fantastic.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

english si

coleslaw in a sandwich is an alright thing, though I wouldn't go out of my way to have it. I far prefer sauerkraut as a cabbage salad.

On its own it isn't really something I tend to bother with - I might eat some of it if it comes with chicken in a restaurant. I especially don't like it when its made with Salad Cream (war-time limited-ingredient mayo replacement and supposedly similar to miracle whip only thinner), preferring a bit of mayo as the dressing. Unless the mayo is Heinz's in which case yuck again!

abefroman329

Quote from: english si on May 27, 2018, 02:19:03 PM
coleslaw in a sandwich is an alright thing, though I wouldn't go out of my way to have it. I far prefer sauerkraut as a cabbage salad.

On its own it isn't really something I tend to bother with - I might eat some of it if it comes with chicken in a restaurant. I especially don't like it when its made with Salad Cream (war-time limited-ingredient mayo replacement and supposedly similar to miracle whip only thinner), preferring a bit of mayo as the dressing. Unless the mayo is Heinz's in which case yuck again!

Ha, I wouldn't even know salad cream existed were it not for Fawlty Towers.

Rothman

And the Fawlties didn't know what a Waldorf salad was.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Quote from: Rothman on May 27, 2018, 04:42:28 PM
And the Fawlties didn't know what a Waldorf salad was.

But they knew what a Ritz salad was.

MNHighwayMan

"Macaroni salad"? I've always heard it as "pasta salad." (Perhaps because it can be made with other types of pasta besides macaroni?) Maybe that's a Minnesota/Upper Midwest thing. Potato salad is popular too, although I'm not a huge fan of it myself.

Coleslaw can stay buried, guarded and guarding the dead in Alanland. Yuck.

traffic light guy

webny99

Pasta salad and macaroni salad are very different in my books.
Pasta salad has large noodles, and large chunks of meat and vegetables, typically with an Italian dressing. Macaroni salad is much plainer, with true macaroni noodles (which are smaller) and a mayo-based dressing.

Regarding coleslaw, the actual subject, I enjoy any variety, but wouldn't touch it until I was 16 or so. It's one of the last foods I began eating (now I'll eat almost anything :sombrero:).
My favorite coleslaw is a sweet one, made with red cabbage, diced apples, pecans, and mini-marshmallows. My mouth is watering just typing this post. I highly recommend it, though I'm not sure if it has an actual name.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: webny99 on May 28, 2018, 05:51:09 PM
Pasta salad has large noodles, and large chunks of meat and vegetables, typically with an Italian dressing. Macaroni salad is much plainer, with true macaroni noodles (which are smaller) and a mayo-based dressing.

To me that just sounds like two different kinds of pasta salad.

noelbotevera

I love coleslaw. I prefer it when it's sweeter, though I'll eat coleslaw that isn't sweet. I guess that since I'm less picky ever since I was a kid (~7-10 years old), I've grown fond of coleslaw (though I've still eaten it in my younger years). Never understood why it's gotten a bad rap, until I saw this thread.

Oh, and salad is the best thing to ever be created. I'll eat any salad as long as it has vegetables, fruits, croutons, and sometimes meat. Bonus points if you put a vinaigrette or some type of house dressing.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

abefroman329

Regarding coleslaw, the actual subject, I enjoy any variety, but wouldn't touch it until I was 16 or so. It's one of the last foods I began eating (now I'll eat almost anything :sombrero:).
My favorite coleslaw is a sweet one, made with red cabbage, diced apples, pecans, and mini-marshmallows. My mouth is watering just typing this post. I highly recommend it, though I'm not sure if it has an actual name.

That sounds like ambrosia.

webny99

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 28, 2018, 05:53:01 PM
To me that just sounds like two different kinds of pasta salad.

And that's just it - macaroni salad is a subset of pasta salad - because macaroni is a type of pasta.

csw

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 26, 2018, 10:05:42 PM
Quote from: bugo on May 26, 2018, 10:01:16 PM

It's because of the way it soaks up the meat juice and BBQ sauce.

A BBQ joint I went to in OKC a few years ago served all their meals with a whole loaf of white wonder bread.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.