News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

IHOB

Started by US71, June 08, 2018, 10:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

The experience must be different out east. Red Robin is consistently the fastest sit down service in Western Washington. Most of the time, I can be in and out in 25 or 30 minutes max.

Honestly, I go to RR about once or twice a month, and this is consistently my experience. On exactly one occasion, I've had the food take a while (45+ mins) but I was with a table of 20, so it was expected.

Takumi

The B meme is nothing new.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

webny99

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 11, 2018, 01:45:16 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on June 11, 2018, 01:42:31 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on June 11, 2018, 12:53:58 PM
So they're offering unlimited fries with their burgers in an attempt to compete with Red Robin.  What's the other major chain that's also doing that?  I think it's TGI Friday's, Ruby Tuesday, or Applebee's.
If only Red Robin had good fries
But they do!    :D

Not really, IMO. I'm with texaskdog. Their fries are OK, but usually soggy (or maybe "saturated"?) unless you ask for extra crispy, which helps some. The fries should be much better for how good their burgers are.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on June 11, 2018, 05:46:03 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 11, 2018, 01:45:16 PM
So they're offering unlimited fries with their burgers in an attempt to compete with Red Robin.  What's the other major chain that's also doing that?  I think it's TGI Friday's, Ruby Tuesday, or Applebee's.
But they do!    :D

Not really, IMO. I'm with texaskdog. Their fries are OK, but usually soggy (or maybe "saturated"?) unless you ask for extra crispy, which helps some. The fries should be much better for how good their burgers are.

Steak fries are thicker than regular fries, so they naturally give off a more saturated taste. Even extra crispy, there's still plenty of potato in each bite. If that's not your thing, by all means.

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on June 11, 2018, 06:05:14 PM
Steak fries are thicker than regular fries, so they naturally give off a more saturated taste. Even extra crispy, there's still plenty of potato in each bite. If that's not your thing, by all means.

I don't dislike steak fries, but I guess I'd take thinner, less potato-ey fries if I had a choice.

sparker

The single reason for patronizing IHOP, as far as I'm concerned (as well as the concurring opinion of quite a few of my partners/friends/acquaintances) is the wide selection of pancake syrups -- of particular importance on their periodic "all you can eat pancake" promotions.  Otherwise, chains such as Denny's and Norm's (particular to SoCal) do much better overall breakfasts (with better quality meat ingredients as well -- IHOP sausage is really salty!).  But it's something of a guilty pleasure (one that I indulge in only once or twice per year during the aforementioned promotions) to eat several "short stacks" of pancakes, each with a different syrup topping.  But, alas, the IHOP closest to home closed up last year -- so we have to schlep down to Oakridge Mall to partake of that specific combination of carbs & sugar!  Have only done that trip once, since it isn't near anything else of interest (I avoid malls like the plague!); that alone will almost ensure that IHOP trips will be most likely a once-a-year novelty.

abefroman329

As far as chain restaurants go, IHOP has the second-best pancakes (the best are at Original Pancake House).

sparker

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 12, 2018, 09:00:04 AM
As far as chain restaurants go, IHOP has the second-best pancakes (the best are at Original Pancake House).

Elmers, in Portland, had the best breakfasts -- including their pancakes and waffles -- that I've had in the past couple of decades -- at least since the Nut Tree in Vacaville, CA (right at the junction of I-80 & I-505) closed down in the early '90's.  I'd been going there since I was a kid -- there was just something about their recipe that elevated the pancakes/waffles above the rest.  But back circa '75 I was dating a girl who'd worked as a hostess there when she was in high school who revealed what made the recipe kick ass:  adding both malted milk (Carnation) and "cookbook vanilla" (thick glycerine-based vanilla flavoring w/o alcohol) to the batter!  I've tried it -- and it works!  About a heaping tablespoon of malted milk and a level tablespoon of vanilla per quart of batter does it.  If you can't find cookbook vanilla, you can use regular vanilla extract -- if you mix it 1:1 with simple sugar syrup (just the alcohol-based extract tends to make the batter runny).  You're welcome!

ET21

Still the best place for food at 3am when Taco Bell isn't available or close  :-D :-D
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Takumi on June 11, 2018, 05:36:15 PM

I was going to say.  I'm not eating at ihoB unless they replace the "p" in the logo with an actual B emoji.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

formulanone

No IHOZ references yet? :)

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 11, 2018, 02:08:35 PM

What?  They're delicious!  But Red Robin does what many restaurants do with "unlimited" food: Bring you progressively smaller and smaller portions every time you ask for more.

I've had them bring seconds on fries that were paltry, and other times, enough that you couldn't possibly ask for thirds...

Biggest with issue Red Robin is the inconsistent wait times for a burger. I've had 15 minute-waits, and 40-minute waits for my order. Service and cleanliness are a little varied, but nothing terrible. Food is quite consistent, though.

spooky

Now that the pancake game is wide open...

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

catch22

On a somewhat related note, Applebee's has opened its first-ever combination IHOP & Applebee's in downtown Detroit's Millender Center.   Someone on one of the local forums said that they should call it "IHOPlebees." :)

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/entertainment/dining/2018/06/12/1st-applebees-ihop-opens-millender-center/692620002/

hbelkins

Quote from: catch22 on June 12, 2018, 01:47:02 PM
On a somewhat related note, Applebee's has opened its first-ever combination IHOP & Applebee's in downtown Detroit's Millender Center.   Someone on one of the local forums said that they should call it "IHOPlebees." :)

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/entertainment/dining/2018/06/12/1st-applebees-ihop-opens-millender-center/692620002/

Or Applehop.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kkt

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 08, 2018, 12:52:18 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on June 08, 2018, 12:42:22 PM
That's the problem when a restaurant has limitations in their name.. for the longest time I thought Cheesecake Factory only did desserts..
Oh no, they also sell gargantuan portions of mediocre food.

That's what I remember.  Excuse me, but I don't need my dessert to be HALF A GALLON OF ICE CREAM!  It's not like I'm going to take the rest home in a doggy bag.

Scott5114

The funny thing is, I think I've already ordered more burgers at IHOP than pancakes. When I worked third shift, people would sometimes invite me to hit up IHOP with them after work, and after nine hours on my feet, I needed something with protein.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

For decades, when we'd go out for brunch and the rest of the family would order breakfast foods, my dad would order a hamburger.

abefroman329

Quote from: kkt on June 14, 2018, 12:21:33 AM
That's the problem when a restaurant has limitations in their name.. for the longest time I thought Cheesecake Factory only did desserts..

That's what I remember.  Excuse me, but I don't need my dessert to be HALF A GALLON OF ICE CREAM!  It's not like I'm going to take the rest home in a doggy bag.

We had a theory that the "gargantuan portions of mediocre food at high prices" thing was deliberate, since they knew you were coming to order dessert and had to eat a meal before that, so why not sell you an entire side of beef for $500?

Apparently now they have some sort of "healthy eating" menu.  Must consist entirely of entrees that are under 2000 calories.

US71

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 14, 2018, 08:55:57 AM

We had a theory that the "gargantuan portions of mediocre food at high prices" thing was deliberate, since they knew you were coming to order dessert and had to eat a meal before that, so why not sell you an entire side of beef for $500?

Apparently now they have some sort of "healthy eating" menu.  Must consist entirely of entrees that are under 2000 calories.

Rabbit food.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hotdogPi

Quote from: US71 on June 14, 2018, 09:04:41 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on June 14, 2018, 08:55:57 AM

Rabbit food.

Carrot cake?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

7/8

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 12, 2018, 12:23:09 PM
Quote from: Takumi on June 11, 2018, 05:36:15 PM

I was going to say.  I'm not eating at ihoB unless they replace the "p" in the logo with an actual B emoji.

renegade

Quote from: US71 on June 11, 2018, 02:08:58 PM

Red Robin is not on my menu due to poor service
Red Robin is not on my menu because if I want an overcooked hockey puck, I am perfectly capable of making that all on my own!
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

WR of USA

Hopefully IHOP can make their burgers not overcooked. I don't order burgers at places that are known for breakfast anymore because of a bad experience I had at Cracker Barrel. I ordered a burger cooked medium at a Cracker Barrel in Florida and it came out looking like a sausage with mayonnaise on it (HATE mayonnaise).
Traffic? No problem, enjoy the scenery!

Long live the lovely Sagamore and Bourne bridges and their welcoming traffic bottlenecks for the tourists!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.