News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"Principal Cities" of US in 1857

Started by kurumi, June 12, 2018, 12:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon daly

I recommend The Devil in the White City.

abefroman329

Dead Wake was surprisingly good.

In the Garden of Beasts was surprisingly boring.

briantroutman

Quote from: kkt on June 14, 2018, 12:47:01 AM
I really don't get Sacramento getting an entry in the table, but not San Francisco.  S.F. was far more important, gold notwithstanding.

My guess is that it's because this is a railroad timetable, and San Francisco, despite its long history as the West Coast's primary metropolitan center, has never been a significant railroading town due to its peninsular isolation.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Concerning the history of standard time (and usage of time tables), I'll direct you to this book.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1374860.Time_Lord_

First half of book is fascinating, 2nd half drags.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

jon daly

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 14, 2018, 02:14:16 PM

Are these also Larson books? I borrowed DitWC from my wife when she had to read it for grad school.

abefroman329

Quote from: jon daly on June 14, 2018, 04:17:58 PM

Are these also Larson books? I borrowed DitWC from my wife when she had to read it for grad school.

Yes.  Dead Wake is about the sinking of the Lusitania (I have a dark sense of humor, so I read it when we sailed on the Queen Mary 2 from New York to England last fall).  In the Garden of Beasts is about the US ambassador to Germany during the early days of the Third Reich and the experiences he and his family had while living in Berlin during that time.

kkt

Quote from: briantroutman on June 14, 2018, 03:43:25 PM
Quote from: kkt on June 14, 2018, 12:47:01 AM
I really don't get Sacramento getting an entry in the table, but not San Francisco.  S.F. was far more important, gold notwithstanding.

My guess is that it's because this is a railroad timetable, and San Francisco, despite its long history as the West Coast's primary metropolitan center, has never been a significant railroading town due to its peninsular isolation.

True.  I'd have thought they'd have Oakland, though.  The end of the line.

MikeTheActuary

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: davewiecking on June 12, 2018, 05:58:52 AM
Quote from: DandyDan on June 12, 2018, 05:37:21 AM
Minneapolis went by St. Anthony Falls then?
Actually, if I read Wikipedia correctly, St. Anthony Falls was a separate town on the east side of the Mississippi River (upstream of St. Paul) that later merged with Minneapolis.

Technically it was just St. Anthony. St. Anthony Falls refers only to the waterfall itself, not the former, now-merged city. And of course, all of this is not to be confused by the modern city, adjacent to Minneapolis to the northeast, called St. Anthony.

jon daly

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on June 15, 2018, 01:29:39 AM
Quote from: kkt on June 14, 2018, 04:51:35 PM

Indeed. There wasn't even a telegraph link yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_transcontinental_telegraph

Are there more historical threads like this?

There wasn't a line in Oakland in 1857.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: jon daly on June 15, 2018, 06:27:23 AM

Note that I know there were railroads and telegraphs in California in 1857, even though they weren't connected to those in the eastern US.  However, the fact that Oakland apparently didn't even have a connection to California's railroad system was a little bit of a surprise.

Saint Anthony also didn't have a railroad in 1857 (Minneapolis wasn't connected until 1868).

So...the choice of cities in the list seems...interesting.   Maybe the author was anticipating rail lines and their terminii?

TheHighwayMan3561

Prairie du Chien, WI is interesting because it was not particularly large and had just gotten on the railroad in 1857. The width of the Mississippi proved to be a challenge in connecting the railroad further into Iowa.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

tchafe1978

Prairie du Chien may hyave been included because I believe at the time it was the site of an important fort, Ft. Crawford.

kkt

Quote from: jon daly on June 15, 2018, 06:27:23 AM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on June 15, 2018, 01:29:39 AM
Quote from: kkt on June 14, 2018, 04:51:35 PM

Are there more historical threads like this?

There wasn't a line in Oakland in 1857.

I was interested to find this article:

The history of the telegraph in California
Alice L. Bates

Annual Publication of the Historical Society of Southern California
Vol. 9, No. 3 (1914), pp. 181-187

which indicates that there was telegraph between several cities in California by October 1853, including San Francisco, San Jose, Stockton, Sacramento, and Marysville.  However the link across the intermountain west required Congress to help fund it and they didn't get really motivated until the war.  That link was completed in October 1861.

westerninterloper

Vincennes, Indiana had maybe 3500 people in 1857, and was never a major industrial or commercial center (except perhaps before the American Revolution). It wasn't even close to being one of the largest 100 cities in the US in 1850.

Louisville-burb New Albany (8,181, #84), Indianapolis (8,091, #87) and the Ohio River port of Madison (8,012, #90) were the largest cities in Indiana in 1850.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

jon daly

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 14, 2018, 04:43:54 PM
Quote from: jon daly on June 14, 2018, 04:17:58 PM

Yes.  Dead Wake is about the sinking of the Lusitania (I have a dark sense of humor, so I read it when we sailed on the Queen Mary 2 from New York to England last fall).  In the Garden of Beasts is about the US ambassador to Germany during the early days of the Third Reich and the experiences he and his family had while living in Berlin during that time.

My worlds are colliding. A daily newsletter that I get linked a 25 year old Atlantic piece by Larson yesterday:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1993/01/the-story-of-a-gun/303531/

WARNING: It's very long and about a mass shooter and gun laws.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.