News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Noughties

Started by webny99, June 20, 2018, 12:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on June 23, 2018, 11:46:03 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 23, 2018, 01:50:36 AM
Dude, are you really trying to tell a British person how waiting in line works?
For your next trick, you should offer football classes to Tom Brady.

Dictionaries don't lie. Waiting in line ("queue", whatever) works the same here as it does in Britain. A queue is a type of line (that has an order); that's an indisputable fact.
There's a difference between dictionary definitions and how a word is used in practice.  Consider the word "literally".  It's literally used in the exact opposite of its dictionary definition these days.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on June 23, 2018, 10:48:43 PM
Quote from: webny99 on June 23, 2018, 11:46:03 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 23, 2018, 01:50:36 AM
Dude, are you really trying to tell a British person how waiting in line works?
For your next trick, you should offer football classes to Tom Brady.
Dictionaries don't lie. Waiting in line ("queue", whatever) works the same here as it does in Britain. A queue is a type of line (that has an order); that's an indisputable fact.
There's a difference between dictionary definitions and how a word is used in practice.  Consider the word "literally".  It's literally used in the exact opposite of its dictionary definition these days.

In this case, it's not a question of whether the dictionary definition reflects how the word is used.
Rather, it's a question of whether I should defer to someone from Britain as the expert on a word just because it happened to originate in their home country. And the answer, of course, is no, I should not. The notion that living in the US somehow hampers or inferiorates my ability to understand the definition of queue is laughable at best.

Regarding "literally", I just googled it, and found the original definition, followed by a new, "informal" definition: used for emphasis/to express strong feeling while not being literally true. So there's that.

Scott5114

Google Dunning-Krueger effect next.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

slorydn1

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 24, 2018, 06:50:33 AM

Why Scott, Why???? :-D
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

slorydn1

I seem to remember addressing something similar to this in a thread that dealt with how we say single years in the 1st decade of the 21st century a while back. At least I think I did.

But just in case I didn't: When it comes to single years I have a tendency to say Two Thousand One (etc) all the way up to Two Thousand Ten. Once we hit 2011 I have a tendency to say Twenty Eleven (etc) up to the current Twenty Eighteen. I don't know why I couldn't just say Twenty Oh One. I have no qualms with saying Nineteen Oh One, for example. But I just couldn't do it, and it didn't feel right to me until we hit 2011.

I never gave the entire decade a real thought, though, this is interesting to me. I asked my partner at work how she refers to the years 2000-2009, explained to her what I was looking for was like how we refer to the eighties or nineties music. I got a blank stare and she said the same thing, that she never really gave it much thought either.

We both came to the conclusion that even though we are most of the way through the teens already it still really feels like we are still in the throes of that post 9/11 period and nothing feels really all that much different, especially since I started using my phone for internet and messaging circa 2007 or so.

Maybe it will be a decade or 2 out of this period before we really know what to call it.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

webny99

Rather than
(a) defending my credibility, or
(b) crafting another squalid dis in response,
I'm just going to be the mature party here and say enough is enough. I'm sorry you were prepared to go that low, but I'm sure as hell not going lower!

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: webny99 on June 24, 2018, 12:03:49 PM
Rather than
I'm just going to be the mature party here and say enough is enough. I'm sorry you were prepared to go that low, but I'm sure as hell not going lower!

What's really fun about this response is we don't know if it's crafted because:

1. You understand what Dunning–Kruger is and legitimately feel insulted because of the insinuation that you might be on the opposite end of the spectrum (ie stupid/unaware).
or
2. You don't understand what it is and feel insulted merely because you think there's a chance he's calling you stupid.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on June 23, 2018, 11:59:58 PM
In this case, it's not a question of whether the dictionary definition reflects how the word is used.
Rather, it's a question of whether I should defer to someone from Britain as the expert on a word just because it happened to originate in their home country. And the answer, of course, is no, I should not. The notion that living in the US somehow hampers or inferiorates my ability to understand the definition of queue is laughable at best.
Depends on whether you're talking about how the word is used in the US or the UK.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 24, 2018, 12:29:14 PM
Rather than
1. You understand what Dunning—Kruger is and legitimately feel insulted because of the insinuation that you might be on the opposite end of the spectrum (ie stupid/unaware).
or
2. You don't understand what it is and feel insulted merely because you think there's a chance he's calling you stupid.

Actually, neither. I'm aware that it was supposed to be an insult, but it was also a good opportunity to offer a logical rebuttal of my actual point.
Irony of all ironies, he went with an insult, thereby proving that I have no reason to feel insulted!

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on June 24, 2018, 05:11:12 PM
Depends on whether you're talking about how the word is used in the US or the UK.

Depends on whether there's a difference in how the word is used in the US vs. the UK.
It's certainly used more frequently in the UK, but not differently; it refers to a type of line in both places. Granted, there are additional usages, contexts, etc., which english si alluded to, but I'm talking strictly about the primary definition here.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on June 24, 2018, 06:11:20 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 24, 2018, 05:11:12 PM

Depends on whether there's a difference in how the word is used in the US vs. the UK.
It's certainly used more frequently in the UK, but not differently; it refers to a type of line in both places. Granted, there are additional usages, contexts, etc., which english si alluded to, but I'm talking strictly about the primary definition here.

Queues are also used in programming (a queue is first in, first out; a stack is first in, last out). I would definitely not call this type of queue a "line". This meaning of queue is used in the US just as much as it is in the UK.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: webny99 on June 24, 2018, 06:04:35 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 24, 2018, 12:29:14 PM
Rather than
1. You understand what Dunning–Kruger is and legitimately feel insulted because of the insinuation that you might be on the opposite end of the spectrum (ie stupid/unaware).
or
Actually, neither. I'm aware that it was supposed to be an insult, but it was also a good opportunity to offer a logical rebuttal of my actual point.
Irony of all ironies, he went with an insult, thereby proving that I have no reason to feel insulted!

Odd you say that, because in your previous post you made it clear that you weren't going to respond to his post, but by responding to me, you're indirectly responding to him. Nor do I see anything that looks like a rebuttal in said post, except for the fact that you're now claiming it was one (and if so, that post now makes zero sense.)

Nor did I say anywhere that Scott was trying to insult you, but rather that you thought he was insulting you. Which, from that reply, you clearly think he is, even though I don't read that post as a direct insult.

webny99

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 24, 2018, 06:59:04 PM
Odd you say that, because in your previous post you made it clear that you weren't going to respond to his post, but by responding to me, you're indirectly responding to him. Nor do I see anything that looks like a rebuttal in said post, except for the fact that you're now claiming it was one (and if so, that post now makes zero sense.)

You misunderstand - my point is that he chose to give a subtle insult rather than a direct rebuttal - presumably because there was no real rebuttal to give.

In other words, he decided against arguing, which is the equivalent of saying "you're right", or at a minimum, saying "you're not wrong enough for me to waste time forming a counterargument".

QuoteNor did I say anywhere that Scott was trying to insult you, but rather that you thought he was insulting you. Which, from that reply, you clearly think he is, even though I don't read that post as a direct insult.

I mean, I was the intended recipient, and I knew right away, given the scope of the discussion, that it was meant as an insult. Or at least he knew there was a pretty good chance I'd feel insulted.

Anyways, whatever. There are other more important threads awaiting.  :-P

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.