News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Closest pairs of counties with identical names?

Started by KCRoadFan, August 13, 2020, 12:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

Living in KC, I know that when people say Johnson County, they usually refer to Johnson County, KS, which contains most of the Kansas suburbs. However, right on the other side of Jackson County - the county where most of KCMO itself is located - lies Johnson County, MO (where Warrensburg is). I've always gotten a kick out of that fact - which led me to post this thread.

On the other side of the state, I know that Pike County, MO is right across the Mississippi River from Pike County, IL. Also, I'm aware that Escambia County, AL and Escambia County, FL (where Pensacola is) are right next to one another. That got me thinking: what other pairs of counties might there be, with duplicate names in different states, that border one another or - at the very least - are in somewhat close proximity? I'm sure that several examples around the country can be found. 

ilpt4u

We've done this before

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=20410.0

Tho I guess the other thread is both Counties and Cities, and listing the distances

US 89

Three pairs from Wyoming alone: Park County (WY/MT), Big Horn County (WY/MT), and Teton County (WY/ID).

San Juan County, UT and NM touch each other at the Four Corners, and both are separated from San Juan County, CO by only one other county.

Fremont County, ID and WY are separated by one other county. And although the names don't quite match, Laramie County WY borders Larimer County CO.

Super Mateo

There are two Lake Counties (IL/IN) that border Cook County, IL.

debragga

Union Parish (LA) and Union County (AR) border each other. And they border Ouachita Parish (LA) and Ouachita County (AR) respectively. The fastest route from Monroe, LA to Camden, AR goes from Ouachita Parish to Union Parish to Union County to Ouachita County.

Flint1979

Vermilion County, Illinois and Vermillion County, Indiana (slight spelling difference but the same name).
Allen County, Indiana and Allen County, Ohio aren't too far from each other.
Fulton County, Indiana and Fulton County, Ohio also aren't too far from each other.
Shelby County, Indiana and Shelby County, Ohio another one that isn't too far apart.

webny99

NY, PA, and OH all have an Erie County within a reasonable distance of one another.

bassoon1986

Also a Sabine Parish, LA and Sabine County, TX that border one another.

iPhone

SGwithADD

Tioga County, NY is 20 miles from Tioga County, PA

GaryV

St Joseph County in IN and MI are less than 20 miles apart.

jmacswimmer

Frederick County VA & MD are about 30 miles apart via VA 7 & US 340.

Kent County MD & DE are adjacent to each other on the Delmarva.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.